AlanB1976

Storage in vacuum containers

Hi all

I have a vacuum container (jar with pump to get most of the air out). I have 2 questions around this.... Firstly, is that recommended? I saw a Seattle coffee review where they said it would be an ideal storage container but wouldn't the vacuum actually suck any gas out and cause the beans to go stale faster (kinda like if you went to space without a suit and your blood would boil). This is since its in a container and not a bag that sucks in on itself.

And secondly, any ideas to how much longer that would preserve the beans? As in, for example, if they were good until 20 days after roasting, the vacuum container would extend that by 50%, making that 30 days? 

Any other experience with these types of containers welcome. 

Thanks. Alan 

believe we've discussed this somewhere on here in a slightly different context (vacuum packing freshly roasted beans, must've been in home roaster section...), thing is you're right in assuming a lack of ambient pressure to drive staling process. It facilitates oils to surface and get exposed to oxidation. Obviously, that won't be much of a problem as long as they stay in a depressurised environment. Once opened, things might speed up dramatically.

Think this holds especially true for darker roasts as more of their cellular structure has already become weak or brittle during the roast, resulting in less resistance to keep oils contained within.

In general, it's best to pack directly after roasting, pushing all possible air out of bags (no vac). As a result of degassing (which means formation of CO2) bags would inflate slightly, creating their own protective environment. 

Airscape containers have received a lot of praise round here. They basically work without changing internal air pressure - by pushing a lid down to content fill level and locking it there.

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

I vacpack my beans before freezing in order to severely limit any moisture next to the beans whilst they’re in the cooler.

Once open, I keep them in an airscape airtight jar. This has an airtight lid that you can force down inside the jar to push out any air above the beans. In effect the beans are stored with the minimum amount of oxidising air around them but at one atmosphere of pressure.

12d4104ec3e8f2bce4fcfec8e5e26231.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Design-Airscape-Storage-Canister/dp/B00167TT94

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Yeah. I understand the principle around the airscape. I have one where you pump the air out (like the below link - not the same model I have but principle the same). It's the actual vacuum that concerns me. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Coffee-Saver-incl-Pump/dp/B000XTFQZM/ref=asc_df_B000XTFQZM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255964520112&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2912261279052377017&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045628&hvtargid=pla-350719010623&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Yeah. I understand the principle around the airscape. I have one where you pump the air out (like the below link - not the same model I have but principle the same). It's the actual vacuum that concerns me. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Coffee-Saver-incl-Pump/dp/B000XTFQZM/ref=asc_df_B000XTFQZM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255964520112&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2912261279052377017&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045628&hvtargid=pla-350719010623&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
I have a Delonghi vacuum canister (bought cheap 2nd hand off the forum) which I mainly use to suck the airout of bags when resealing them & haven't noticed anything untoward from the low level of vacuum it produces. Certainly no oil being drawn to the surface of the beans.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Yes. I guess what I meant (and didn’t actually say) was vacuum is good for avoiding moisture but I am suspicious about using it for cupboard storage for much the same reasons you outline (accelerated gassing off).

No scientific evidence of course, this is pure supposition. However, that same line of thought led me to airscape ie limiting oxidation without vacuum.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler