Dunk

A grinder experiment (EK & Mazzer)

So i have been on a bit of a road of discovery with the EK43 and still not getting the flavour i have been wanting. So i took the liberty to source another high end espresso grinder (mazzer major) and compare shots side by side.

What i've noticed now is thus for both grinders. This was extracting at 6 bar with 19g in and 52g out for the EK, 38g for the Mazzer.

EK43

- Such a sweet extraction, delicious but almost sometimes too sweet and flavour can be los.

- Drink it straight or with limited water, max 5oz long black

- Big crema (not sure if it's a good thing)

Mazzer

- Way more body and richness but you do sacrifice some sweetness

- Much better in milk based drinks

- Works better with darker beans

- Less crema 

I feel i need both in my life, maybe a little over kill but hey!!!

• Like 2

That was quick. Seems only last week you mentioned getting a major to compare with the EK.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Haha yeah i move quickly!!! Plus the opportunity came up!

• Like 1

Kinda dream set up.

Just been finding some beans taste way better not through the EK

aeb30348a5828fb3a4758aa52139e7e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. Niche Zero is missing tho :p

Not using the steel weight for single dose on Major?

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

35 minutes ago, Inspector said:

Looks good. Niche Zero is missing tho :p

Not using the steel weight for single dose on Major?

yeh it was just on the side after checking ti was clear!

Anything can taste better/worse depending on the grinder. Adjust recipe to taste.

• Like 2

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Interesting comparison, its what this forum needs more of, Would be good to get your thoughts again in a few months.

Might be worth getting a dial gauge and checking alignment of the lower burr on the Major, they are sometimes a little out and  need shimming, having said that I believe you can get a kit for the EK as well.

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

8 hours ago, Scotford said:

Anything can taste better/worse depending on the grinder. Adjust recipe to taste.

Agreed i just struggled massively to ever get that thick full on body like you do at fed in a shot with the EK.

I reckon a fairer test would be to dial both grinders in to 19-38 and compare, then do 19-52 then compare.

• Like 3

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

I've got a Mazzer Major knocking about, might give it a go myself.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

So just did this experiment. 19g in 38g out in about 30 seconds on both. Using The Barn's himalaya bean https://thebarn.de/collections/beans/products/himalaya Tried both as a 5oz long black

What i noticed

EK43

- shot tasted ok,

- not as good as the 1:3 ratio

- lack of body and bold flavour, just tasted sweet to me

Mazzer

- More punch and way more body

- I felt like the flavour was better

Tomorrow going to switch i up and try both as 19g in 50g out.

So just did this experiment. 19g in 38g out in about 30 seconds on both. Using The Barn's himalaya bean https://thebarn.de/collections/beans/products/himalaya Tried both as a 5oz long black
What i noticed
EK43
- shot tasted ok,

Mazzer

What burrs are you running in the EK?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Standard coffee burns. Its a 2015/16 model. I have also made sure the burrs are aligned.

Must admit I miss threads like this and it's actually enjoyable when it's from someone who is a relative novice and not a pro user (I mean no offence saying that.)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

37 minutes ago, Planter said:

Must admit I miss threads like this and it's actually enjoyable when it's from someone who is a relative novice and not a pro user (I mean no offence saying that.)

Just out of curiosity what are you referring to?

I know the two grinder will produce a completely different espresso or are you stating this shouldn't be the case and it's more down to user error?

2 hours ago, Dunk said:

What i noticed

EK43

- shot tasted ok,

Mazzer

Can you dial the Ek in better for 1:2 though , as just stopping it by time seems a little arbitrary to me, then stopping both shots at the same time. 

Can you dial the Mazzer in better for 19 >50 , again does it make sense to stop the shots both at the same time ? 

@mwjb or am i talking horse poop?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

12 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Can you dial the Ek in better for 1:2 though , as just stopping it by time seems a little arbitrary to me, then stopping both shots at the same time. 

Can you dial the Mazzer in better for 19 >50 , again does it make sense to stop the shots both at the same time ? 

@mwjb or am i talking horse poop?

Shot time, for similar extraction could be very different between 2 different grinders. I'd go by ratio & best taste & just accept a difference in time.

• Like 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

1 minute ago, MWJB said:

Shot time, for similar extraction could be very different between 2 different grinders. I'd go by ratio & best taste & just accept a difference in time.

Ta .. agree

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Just out of curiosity what are you referring to?
I know the two grinder will produce a completely different espresso or are you stating this shouldn't be the case and it's more down to user error?
I'm referring to you. I was not criticising you or the equipment or the techniques used. I was simply saying I like threads like this.

Think it's been lost in translation.

• Like 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Ohh cool yeah, it could well just be my preference in taste is that that come from a normal espresso grinder over the EK. In the end what tastes amazing to one person may well not to another.

Ohh cool yeah, it could well just be my preference in taste is that that come from a normal espresso grinder over the EK. In the end what tastes amazing to one person may well not to another.
Totally agree

6 minutes ago, Planter said:

Totally agree

Which is exactly why i sourced the mazzer to run this experiment.

Which is exactly why i sourced the mazzer to run this experiment.