Alan Kilroy

How many days after roasting...

So, just changed my sub to another company, temporarily, as it's a month by month sub. I don't have to commit to 6 or 12 months. Handy.

The new company first bag arrived 6 days later from day of roast.

The previous company first bag would arrive 2 days later....sometimes sooner.

Should I be worried about the 6 days in post?

Many thanks my . learned . colleagues ;)

Gaggia Classic, Rocket Appartamento, Compak K3 Touch.

I wouldn't worry, you will probably want to leave it another few days before opening. I have a coffee roasted during a training session that I am very much looking forward to trying. It's only 5 days post roast and I am sorely tempted...but must resist.

If it's packed and sealed properly, then it will be no problem.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I previously received a bag from Rave Coffee that was 7 days old and was wondering what the acceptable norm of ageing was. I've read various posts/articles say from 4, 5, 6 and 7 days. 

I don't think you'll find a norm since it's not constant. Some bags I've found best only a few days after roast, some a week, some even two weeks.

• Like 2

I previously received a bag from Rave Coffee that was 7 days old and was wondering what the acceptable norm of ageing was. I've read various posts/articles say from 4, 5, 6 and 7 days. 
For 'spro, a week to 10 days rest is the norm people reccommend. I've started a bag 2 days post roast when I've run out before & while it was a touch volitile & needed prequent adjustments while it rested fully, it was perfectly drinkable.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

42 minutes ago, AlanB1976 said:

It's all subjective, so there is no absolute of science to resting , ive seen some people advocate 3 weeks for some roasters which for me is crazy talk but hey.

Personally for espresso i  wait 7 days to get going. You wont go far wrong with that as  bench mark , give it a try.

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)

For me, I want to learn about how a specific batch of beans age... so I will usually taste the beans when I first get them, and each day thereafter... determining which day off-roast I prefer, but also gleaning a bit about how flavours (& effects of C02) change over a week to 10 days. If I like them & buy the same bean again, I then refer to my notes on the beans, and drink or store accordingly. While I could safely wait for 7 to 10 days with most new-to-me batches of beans, I might miss out on a really good taste earlier on!☺️

Edited by Slowpress