kennyboy993

Nearly a year in to the Niche - taste difference

My niche has had nearly a year of use and it struck me this morning as I enjoy a light roasted Ethiopian how brighter the flavours have gotten over the last couple of months.

When I first started using my Niche I was happy it seemed to smooth out the in-your-face flavours of the K30 i used to run.

Over time I then started to use terms like ‘it flattens all flavours’ and started to moan that everything seemed a bit dull.....

Though now enjoying this coffee this morning it feels like the burrs are at last really nicely bedded in - it sort of sneaked up on me though this same coffee tastes so much more alive.

Anyone else noticed this so clearly on their Niche over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Only a few months in so not quite long term but I love what it delivers!

How often do you clean it out @kennyboy993 ?

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

Once a month Les - it gets used on average 4 times a week

• Thanks 1

Live and Let Live

2 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

Once a month Les - it gets used on average 4 times a week

In that case I need to do a clean 👍

• Like 1

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

It's a great machine and it's put a whole new dimension to my daily coffee experience.....and to my wife's coffee experience too, as she get a milk based drink every morning.  No idea whether it's a latte or a cappuccino or somewhere in between!  But she likes it!

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

It’s a lot brighter than my E92 which works best with some bean weight.

I’m wondering who will be the first to hack an auger or anti popcorn device.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes anti-popcorn would be a step-on I think

Live and Let Live

3 minutes ago, lake_m said:

• Like 1

Cool little rubber cup - I assume benefit is it speeds up the time the pop-corned beans take to settle back and get munched by the burrs.

Won’t have an affect on pop-corning though - needs a weight on top

Live and Let Live

I tried a blind basket with a Motta tamper base on top to provide some weight. Not 100% but the concept is there. A bolt on auger like the E92 maybe?

763825A0-646F-48CE-9662-874EED5CFCF3.jpeg

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

50 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

Cool little rubber cup - I assume benefit is it speeds up the time the pop-corned beans take to settle back and get munched by the burrs.

Yes perhaps it need the weight, but if the little rubber cups speeds up the wayward bean or two to be munched then pop corning then doesn't become an issue.  So, no it doesn't stop pop corning per se.......just addresses the matter, me thinks. 

But I won't be getting one!😀

51 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

• Like 1

You can get something similar for free with a pack of pringles.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, nicholasj said:

Yes perhaps it need the weight, but if the little rubber cups speeds up the wayward bean or two to be munched then pop corning then doesn't become an issue.  So, no it doesn't stop pop corning per se.......just addresses the matter, me thinks. 

But I won't be getting one!😀

It will stop beans bouncing up as high, it doenst stop the effect of single dosing and pop corning .

The beans at the start of your dose have the weight of the other beans behind them , which means that they ar efed through at a different pace than the beans at the middle and the ned of the dose. Popcorning is a symptom of this  there is no weight to stop the beans jumping up , a weight decreases this and alleviates some but not all  of the difference in grind between the start and the end of the dose. 

This effect is why you should, shake or stir the grinds up a bit otherwise you get different grind sizes sitting in top of each other , instead of mixed up.

Some grinders get over this by bring either vertical fed  and or or having auger to feed the beans through . 

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

On 06/08/2019 at 08:28, kennyboy993 said:

My niche has had nearly a year of use and it struck me this morning as I enjoy a light roasted Ethiopian how brighter the flavours have gotten over the last couple of months. When I first started using my Niche I was happy it seemed to smooth out the in-your-face flavours of the K30 i used to run. Over time I then started to use terms like ‘it flattens all flavours’ and started to moan that everything seemed a bit dull.....

Though now enjoying this coffee this morning it feels like the burrs are at last really nicely bedded in - it sort of sneaked up on me though this same coffee tastes so much more alive.

Anyone else noticed this so clearly on their Niche over time?

I posted about the difference when the burrs were run in a while ago and because I could side by side run in vs brand new burrs, there was a clear and quite large difference (to me anyway). I would imagine there are more than a few people who have not noticed a gradual change and with the coffee consumption of many, I suspect a lot of grinders have not had more than 3 or 4kg through yet!

At the time I did think some of the taste comparisons and things in the KNT were a bit hasty as they were on grinders with brands new burrs.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

2 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

It will stop beans bouncing up as high, it doenst stop the effect of single dosing and pop corning .

The beans at the start of your dose have the weight of the other beans behind them , which means that they ar efed through at a different pace than the beans at the middle and the ned of the dose. Popcorning is a symptom of this  there is no weight to stop the beans jumping up , a weight decreases this and alleviates some but not all  of the difference in grind between the start and the end of the dose. 

This effect is why you should, shake or stir the grinds up a bit otherwise you get different grind sizes sitting in top of each other , instead of mixed up.

Some grinders get over this by bring either vertical fed  and or or having auger to feed the beans through . 

Yes, didn’t think about that.  But I do give the grinds a good stir with a wood BBQ skewer in the Niche cup before decanting. 

Posted (edited)

I don't see the need of stirring grinds in the cup, i just shake them a little that's all. No channeling no spraying. I don't drink very light roasted beans maybe that's why.

Edited by Inspector
Edit

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

29 minutes ago, Inspector said:

I don't see the need of stirring grinds in the cup, i just shake them a little that's all. No channeling no spraying. I don't drink very light roasted beans maybe that's why.

Shaking is Doing the same thing tbh. 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Shaking, I meant when i tip them into portafilter. Should have written this way. To settle grinds. 

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Hi,
I am now 2.5 months with the niche after upgrade from 50mm mignon. We are a household of 2 so 1-1,5kg monthly max.
As expected our coffee consumption significantly increased due to initial enthusiasm around the niche and the long waited single dosing capabilities.

I decided to comment here because the main topic is taste and here is where i am still unsatisfied or to be more precise- my (high) expectations are not (yet) met.

Chances are that it is purely subjective thing caused by unrealistically high expectations biased by the thousands positive comments read in the forums.

Not that the taste is bad, but i really expected more dramatic improvement over the mignon in the cup.

In fact i believe that my best shots so far are still from the mignon.

All other (also significant) benefits such as workflow, single dosing, aesthetics, etc. are completely and undeniably there and it is enough to justify the cost.

Still hoping to get some gradual improvements as the burrs brake in.

Few days ago i went to a 3rd wave coffee shop in Istanbul and tried an espresso - it was amazing. Locally roasted SO from Guatemala. They were grinding with Robur, so i thought i might expect similar taste (Conical). Perfect opportunity for comparison, so i bought 250g of the same fresh beans.
The result was quite a disappointment. Tried any ideas for recipe, but nothing came close to the perfectly balanced taste at the coffee shop.

• Like 1

What's your machine?

PID-ed Silvia on 6bar OPV. VST18, bottomless PF, each shot metered, weighed and noted.

I am very careful and systematic with shot prep and recipes.

Ofcourse still miles away from the La Marzocco Mistral at the Coffee Shop, but still i dont think it is much of a limiting factor.

Posted (edited)

Well @blazarov it's all down to our palates and what you like.

i had a Mignon 2 before my Niche and my thoughts are the opposite....the Niche produces significantly better results for my taste buds.

Could you be the first person to offer a used Niche for sale! 😀

Edited by nicholasj
Mistake

Well [mention=19487]blazarov[/mention] it's all down to our palates and what you like.
i had a Mignon 2 before my Niche and my thoughts are the opposite....it is significantly better for my taste buds.
Could you be the first person to offer a used Niche for sale!
Not unless he gets himself a time machine. While it's certainly not many considering the volume sold, a few have already passed hands in the for sale section.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

2 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

a few have already passed hands in the for sale section.

Ah! I didn't know that.  I could have saved myself a few pounds.......🤣

Ah! I didn't know that.  I could have saved myself a few pounds.......
Think there have been 3 or 4 now.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.