Monkey_Devil

Persuade me not to buy a Londinium R

21 minutes ago, tohenk2 said:

It is exactly the same for me. 

the buying or the kicking part? :D

• Haha 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Thanks for all the input guys. Must say, it doesn't sound like there is much of a compelling reason for me to not go ahead....
I have another outgoing to take care of soon, but should be able to order in a month or two! How exciting. Regards to plumbing in, I cannot do that due to location of the machine. Regards to heat up time, I always have mine on a digital timer socket anyway, so it comes on nice and early in the morning.
I hope that by the time I order, the wireless module is already installed etc :D 
Where are you based. If you're near to me you can come and have a go if you want.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Thanks Planter! Right in London myself though :) To be honest having hobbled by with a Brewtus that has been trying to die for a long time, I'm sure a LR will blow me away anyway :D

Niche grinder is a new name on the market though and I will eventually need an upgrade to the Vario, so I might pick your brains over how that's working out for you at some point :D

Expobar Brewtus - Mahlkonig Vario - Aeropress - Chemex - French Press

If you're having bland coffee I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my beans ain't one. Yeah.

Thanks Planter! Right in London myself though To be honest having hobbled by with a Brewtus that has been trying to die for a long time, I'm sure a LR will blow me away anyway
Niche grinder is a new name on the market though and I will eventually need an upgrade to the Vario, so I might pick your brains over how that's working out for you at some point

Not a problem at all. I think the Niche is a very good grinder at the price. It hits a good share of the market until you start looking into titan territory.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Perhaps I posted my first post to CFUK in the wrong category? I put it under “levers”, thinking it qualified. I will repeat it here, and hope it is not an annoyance to do so.

I am new to owning an espresso machine (although I have used the Pavoni with good success). I prefer the more “Italian” style espresso, which seems increasingly difficult to find. I specifically want to avoid future machine upgrades, so my question is, do I go for a used Londinium 1 (I am considering one I saw that was advertised as a “first run Londinium 1”... what exactly does “first run” indicate?) or do I forget the used L1 I saw and instead save up to buy a new Londinium? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

3 minutes ago, Deidre said:

Perhaps I posted my first post to CFUK in the wrong category? I put it under “levers”, thinking it qualified. I will repeat it here, and hope it is not an annoyance to do so.

I am new to owning an espresso machine (although I have used the Pavoni with good success). I prefer the more “Italian” style espresso, which seems increasingly difficult to find. I specifically want to avoid future machine upgrades, so my question is, do I go for a used Londinium 1 (I am considering one I saw that was advertised as a “first run Londinium 1”... what exactly does “first run” indicate?) or do I forget the used L1 I saw and instead save up to buy a new Londinium? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

If you prefer a darker italian roast the the older L1 will do you fine, you are not going to get a huge advantage from the new Londiniums with the adjustable pre infusion .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I think “dark” would be darker than I go. I am in the medium-dark camp, I suppose.

Medium-dark camp is considered dark round these folks 😛

Maybe someone who has had both and used a variety of grinders and beans can give you more insight, but based on what I was told when I asked the same question, it comes down whether you prefer medium or darker(L1 is perfectly fine) or if you like light to medium then the LR is the better option. myself and systemic kid tested out the L1 against the LR with a Niche and 2 different light roasted beans and they were pretty close!

You would need to tell everyone which grinder you currently have?

Have a read through the thread I posted up.

• Like 1

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

I have a Kinu grinder. 

I read the link you provided, and thank you for that relevant post. I didn’t see the results of the side by side testing, or did I miss it in my haste? I’ll look again.

54 minutes ago, Fez said:

myself and systemic kid tested out the L1 against the LR with a Niche and 2 different light roasted beans and they were pretty close!

Those were the results. Not exactly scientific but we just went off taste. 

You will definitely need a better grinder. So unless you've already budgeted for that seperately then you should definitely do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Those were the results. Not exactly scientific but we just went off taste. 

You will definitely need a better grinder. So unless you've already budgeted for that seperately then you should definitely do so. 

Good to hear the taste results. (The grinder is also in the air as I work through this decision.) Thank you.