So, as I guess some of you know too well, you use a tamper for a while, and then you start getting lots of very minor scratches on the tamping surface. I'm aware a lot of people here have expensive tampers, so am wondering if you guys ever polish them with any form of polish or maybe a jewellers cloth? Obviously I (and I'm sure many others) try not to put them down on hard surfaces, but sometimes I forget.

Just wondering what others out there do to maintain a mirror finish on the tamping surface, or if they'd recommend doing anything in particular as a preventative?

22 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

So, as I guess some of you know too well, you use a tamper for a while, and then you start getting lots of very minor scratches on the tamping surface. I'm aware a lot of people here have expensive tampers, so am wondering if you guys ever polish them with any form of polish or maybe a jewellers cloth? Obviously I (and I'm sure many others) try not to put them down on hard surfaces, but sometimes I forget.

Just wondering what others out there do to maintain a mirror finish on the tamping surface, or if they'd recommend doing anything in particular as a preventative?

You know that lathe you were thinking of getting .😂 . You can get loads of polishing gear for that 👍

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nicknak said:

You know that lathe you were thinking of getting .😂 . You can get loads of polishing gear for that 👍

Damn really? I thought maybe a Dremmel with one of those polishing pads in the mean time?

• Like 1

Mine have proved remarkably resilient over the years but I do have rubber tamper cups that I put mine in and have (no idea how) managed to train SWMBO and no1 daughter to use them.

That said, I would have thought that a metal polish and some elbow grease would successfully remove any light scratching.

In my experience the dremel paste + cotton heads, and the dremel silicon polishing wheel heads are actually quite aggressive and result in a mirror finish. Might be more annoying than a hairline scratch.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

I polished a KvdW tamper for a friend. I used a big cotton pad on a drill press with polishing paste. 

I use a Made by Knock black Heft 585 (I can't find it anymore on their website, but IIRC it is some treated black metal, not a surface finish, but it is sort of matte) and a Torr Toys Black DLC coated 58.4 tamper. I put them in (Motta) wooden holders to prevent scratching (works). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/07/2019 at 22:01, Cooffe said:

Had a go polishing my dull looking tamper .. Before and after .. or after and before 🤯

2771C496-A7A8-4CEA-9F94-7E364DEC55A1.jpeg

AA99B140-52D2-4A78-B62A-57126C586F4F.jpeg

Edited by Nicknak
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Had a go polishing my dull looking tamper .. Before and after .. or after and before 🤯

2771C496-A7A8-4CEA-9F94-7E364DEC55A1.jpeg

AA99B140-52D2-4A78-B62A-57126C586F4F.jpeg

Ooh - looks like it came out nice - have you noticed less coffee grinds sticking to it after tamping?

Just now, Cooffe said:

Ooh - looks like it came out nice - have you noticed less coffee grinds sticking to it after tamping?

Yes definitely 👍

4 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Yes definitely 👍

Definitely might have to have a go on it - did you use any specific polish on it or just a cotton pad? I polished(ish) mine with some microfibre cloth and it seemed to come out a lot smoother looking and reflective. 

56 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Definitely might have to have a go on it - did you use any specific polish on it or just a cotton pad? I polished(ish) mine with some microfibre cloth and it seemed to come out a lot smoother looking and reflective. 

I used polishing mops and several grades of compound sticks 

I polished my Torr tamper.

I used some cheap pads that fit in a drill, Autosol and then Maas polish to finish. Turned out pretty well, it's not perfect but hard to make the camera focus on anything but the reflection now lol.

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

• Like 2

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

12 minutes ago, Nick1881 said:

I polished my Torr tamper.

I used some cheap pads that fit in a drill, Autosol and then Maas polish to finish. Turned out pretty well, it's not perfect but hard to make the camera focus on anything but the reflection now lol.

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Hope you took the wood handle off🥴😂 . Good job ..... shows there is always a different way to get similar results 👍

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Hope you took the wood handle off🥴😂 . Good job ..... shows there is always a different way to get similar results 👍

Of course I did, I used the Torr one to hold it 🤣

The super special NickNak handle was carefully locked away from harm.

• Haha 1

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

3 minutes ago, Nick1881 said:

Of course I did, I used the Torr one to hold it 🤣

The super special NickNak handle was carefully locked away from harm.

It is now twin purpose 😎. You can also use it for checking how your bottomless extraction is going ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1