urbanbumpkin

If your machine broke tomorrow what would you replace it with?

This is a question I’ve thought about recently. Would I replace it with an identical machine?

Would I upgrade?

Or would I go down the simplicity route?

The only reason I thought of this was because If the above happened I’ve considered going down the simplistic route small lever, (La Pavoni or Caravel) or filter route.

Although how long would it be till I started going on about lack of VST, stable temperature, constant pressure.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I'm more than happy with my R58 (luckily!) but if it hypothetically got stolen and I had the insurance money I'd be tempted by a Bianca or Minima, simply to try something different and perhaps more modern despite maintaining the traditional look and feel. Non-hypothetically, I hope my (very early) Rocket keeps on keeping on for another incredibly long amount of time. There is the whole lever thing in the back of my head too, but there'll be no scratching of itches in the foreseeable future. If I was to go all levery, I think I would want some kind of Londinium L1-something...

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 1

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

My Gaggia Classic broke about a month ago.   All it really needed was a good clean and descale but I didn’t know it at the time.

I did much research,   Do i upgrade or stay the same.   Much of me wanted to upgrade, a Fracino Classico nearly won me over, although a little expensive.

The problem was I discovered lever machines and thought they looked fantastic, although rubbish when my mates come round and I need 4 coffees in quick succession.  I was in a dilemma.

In the end I let my wife decide all I needed was a new Gaggia, after all, I had no complaints about the old one, which I had had for years until it stopped working.

New Gaggia Classic ordered.

i still fancied a Lever machine, found one on eBay at an agreeable price so bought it.

Then I needed a new grinder

The new Gaggia classic didn't win me over due to a couple of design changes so I sent it back.

I love the Lever machine and I’ve managed to strip down and clean the old Gaggia to get that working again.

I doubt I will use the Gaggia much as the simplicity of the La Pavoni is such a joy to use.

8841984D-4AC6-42D8-9A64-CFBDE01DBE40.jpeg

• Like 7

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

I really like the dependable PID e61 double boiler .. Unless you do something silly with the grind it always produces . I have a few little levers and don’t spend enough time with them . But they are nice to look at . I admire those that use the little levers exclusively. The only two machines I would consider changing to would be the new LR or the Vesuvius .. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

This is a question I’ve thought about recently. Would I replace it with an identical machine?

Would I upgrade?

Or would I go down the simplicity route?

What are your thoughts?

I would probably rather fix it rather than buy the identical machine if it broke, i suspect many loved coffee machines are like "Trigger's Broom".

If i was going to upgrade for some reason a lever has terror / excitement of the unknown, so probably a lot of bad coffee, a split lip and other disaster but the end result would be a step closer to nirvana.  🐱

Edited by Agentb
  • Like 1

Either just the same machine (LR, but with a preinfusion module) or LMLM.

• Like 1

I've always wanted a Londinium of one sort or another and if I had the funds that would be great, but if something happened today and I couldn't repair my current machine, I'd have to settle for a Europiccola I think. Either way, I'd go for some sort of lever and then probably regret it later.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mandatory would be a lever, and with full control of temperature, preinfusion & pressure.

Edited by Slowpress
  • Like 1

I have absolutely no idea! It'd most likely have a lever attached to it though as I've had a yearning for one for years.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Same kit again (the latest versions) 😁 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

9 hours ago, GrowlingDog said:

My Gaggia Classic broke about a month ago.   All it really needed was a good clean and descale but I didn’t know it at the time.

I did much research,   Do i upgrade or stay the same.   Much of me wanted to upgrade, a Fracino Classico nearly won me over, although a little expensive.

The problem was I discovered lever machines and thought they looked fantastic, although rubbish when my mates come round and I need 4 coffees in quick succession.  I was in a dilemma.

In the end I let my wife decide all I needed was a new Gaggia, after all, I had no complaints about the old one, which I had had for years until it stopped working.

New Gaggia Classic ordered.

i still fancied a Lever machine, found one on eBay at an agreeable price so bought it.

Then I needed a new grinder

The new Gaggia classic didn't win me over due to a couple of design changes so I sent it back.

I love the Lever machine and I’ve managed to strip down and clean the old Gaggia to get that working again.

I doubt I will use the Gaggia much as the simplicity of the La Pavoni is such a joy to use.

8841984D-4AC6-42D8-9A64-CFBDE01DBE40.jpeg

A neat little coffee corner:good:

• Like 1

Money no object then a Kees Van Der Westen Mirage:

643210620b4844d980bb63aea1d290ba.jpg

With my wallet, I think it would be time for a lever. I was moved by the last forum day - something very kinetic and personal about pulling your own shot, so a Londinium.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

No question - I would want another 'Decent Espresso'.  Maybe the 'PRO' version next time.

But ...have got to say a KVDW Mirage is the only machine I have ever been drawn to without considering the output.

• Like 2

Ron 

Money no object then a Kees Van Der Westen Mirage:

643210620b4844d980bb63aea1d290ba.jpg

With my wallet, I think it would be time for a lever. I was moved by the last forum day - something very kinetic and personal about pulling your own shot, so a Londinium.

You know, KVDW used to make Bosco group levers too...

They look amazing, although they be wood handles are much nicer looking on Londiniums
  • Like 2

I think I'd look at an Olympia Cremina - Basically saw them in Zurich and MrsD said... That looks nice...

which is a 1st......

• Like 4

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

I'd probably replace it with the same thing. But if we were to add another hypothetical to your question and it had to be something different then I'd definitely look into getting one of those funky huge levers. For the life of me I can't remember the name though :( I'm sure its been posted on here a couple of times

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

4 hours ago, Drewster said:

I think I'd look at an Olympia Cremina - Basically saw them in Zurich and MrsD said... That looks nice...

which is a 1st......

Oh yes, I’d forgotten... I hankered after one for a while. Apart from anything else, I really love their logo 😂 

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Slayer for me, if money was not a major concern. If I had to buy again now I don't actually know what I would get to be honest.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

17 minutes ago, MildredM said:

Oh yes, I’d forgotten... I hankered after one for a while. Apart from anything else, I really love their logo 😂 

I must admit - She hadn't looked at the price (I had and thought it was a mis-print or I'd got my SwF to GBP mixed up :-( )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

LR for me.

• Like 1

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Gene Cafe Roaster / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

8 hours ago, ronsil said:

No question - I would want another 'Decent Espresso'.  Maybe the 'PRO' version next time.

But ...have got to say a KVDW Mirage is the only machine I have ever been drawn to without considering the output.

Bit off-topic but why would you consider a pro over the regular DE? What features do you feel you're missing? 

Cafe Racer.

• Like 5

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Guarantee for 200000 shots against 10000 on the DE1plus Other features are same on both.

Ron 

Gaggia Handhebel

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat

1 hour ago, Jony said:

Cafe Racer.

That's what I like to see - a man with taste.

• Like 1