bronterre

Gaggia Classic - broken

This may be the lowest value item asked about for a while. My Gaggia Classic stopped working. It overheated and the thermal fuse went. Because it's got an Auber PID, and because I'm no engineer, I've decided that it would take me too long to fix it, assuming I could fix it. So, heart in mouth, I've bought a Lelit Mara new from Bella Barista. If and when it eventually goes wrong, I think I can trust them to guide me through what I need to do to fix it, as far as possible, even after the warranty expires.

So, I've got a broken machine: thermal fuse gone, and an unknown cause of the initial overheating. The set-up is as described in my signature. Now, I know that these machines aren't very expensive even when working, so at best I could ask for only a small fraction of that for a non-functioning article. My question is, is it reasonable ask for money (to defray at least a few quid of my scarily expensive new purchase) and if so how much, or should I just beg someone to take it off my hands for free if picked up, or for the cost of postage? It would be a terrible shame to take it, with all those lovingly installed add-ons, to the tip. 

Gaggia Classic (reconditioned pre-Phillips) with Rancilio wand, OPV mod., Auber PID with steam control and pre-infusion, brass dispersion plate, ims shower screen, Eureka Mignon, Hario Skerton that I'm not sure what to do with, Happy Donkey tamper, Sainsbury's jcloths

This may be the lowest value item asked about for a while. My Gaggia Classic stopped working. It overheated and the thermal fuse went. Because it's got an Auber PID, and because I'm no engineer, I've decided that it would take me too long to fix it, assuming I could fix it. So, heart in mouth, I've bought a Lelit Mara new from Bella Barista. If and when it eventually goes wrong, I think I can trust them to guide me through what I need to do to fix it, as far as possible, even after the warranty expires.
So, I've got a broken machine: thermal fuse gone, and an unknown cause of the initial overheating. The set-up is as described in my signature. Now, I know that these machines aren't very expensive even when working, so at best I could ask for only a small fraction of that for a non-functioning article. My question is, is it reasonable ask for money (to defray at least a few quid of my scarily expensive new purchase) and if so how much, or should I just beg someone to take it off my hands for free if picked up, or for the cost of postage? It would be a terrible shame to take it, with all those lovingly installed add-ons, to the tip. 

Hi. There are a few options you can follow. Taking it to the tip is not one of them! - if you really can’t be bothered, I’m sure someone will take it off you for a tenner at least!

You can sell it as broken for whatever you think it’s worth. If the machine is in good condition, is one price, if it isn’t, then it’s a different story.

You can sell the individual parts as spares. I think you’ll make a few quid out of it on the mechanical parts alone.

Is he thermal fuse resettable? Does it work with the PID bypassed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you based?

I might be interested if close by to keep some bits as spares for mine

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Still worth £50 to £100 with the PID and all the extras in your signature in my  view   Depends on wether someone wants to take a punt on what the problem is. 

Still worth £50 to £100 with the PID and all the extras in your signature in my  view   Depends on wether someone wants to take a punt on what the problem is. 
My thinking too. Even if the PID is toast, it can still be reverted back to stats for not much.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I'd happily take it if you could package for a courier (I can arrange). Happy to pay for it too.

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

Hi Bronterre. I appreciate this is valuation thread rather than a sale thread but I would take a punt and offer £50  for your Gaggia if that is of any interest?

Thank you to everyone who's replied, it's been very helpful. I think I'm going to put this on the 'for sale' forum, so that it's all done according to Hoyle. I hope that's OK with people who've kindly mentioned an offer.

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic (reconditioned pre-Phillips) with Rancilio wand, OPV mod., Auber PID with steam control and pre-infusion, brass dispersion plate, ims shower screen, Eureka Mignon, Hario Skerton that I'm not sure what to do with, Happy Donkey tamper, Sainsbury's jcloths

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)