coffeechap

It’s quiet on here!

Surely the forum is about the people in it and what they post and have interests in . If there is stuff that interests individuals if they posted about  it other like minded persons could interact  .  Therefore creating topics that interest you .. 

• Like 1

As someone who lurks more than posts, even though I’ve always been made to feel welcome in my relatively short time on the forum (officially) posting  -there’s still a perception of maybe breaking into an established clique of key contributors. This will always be the case with forums that have been running for some time. It’s not particularly unique to this one, but I’m sure it can seem daunting to some.

Someone mentioned in an earlier reply to this thread a comment about banter and twaddle - I guess you’ll always get some on a forum. Probably the place would be a little dull without it and maybe it could be argued that it adds another layer of texture  - it also has the potential to alienate “outsiders” from the key contributors too.

I think It boils down to - what is this forum for and about? Is it about making and enjoying a nice cup of coffee and sharing that experience?

Finally, having read threads on this forum for years, I know better than to post off the cuff. With my small number of posts they’re read  and re-read to ensure whatever points I’m trying to make are clear, concise and can’t be misconstrued.

I wonder how many lurking long time few posting members on this forum have really discovered coffee nirvana?

• Like 3

The forum has evolved but there is far more chaff to sort through now which means I skim past threads which may be of interest.

This was the case before the software change - I'm not blaming the clunky new forum with its hopeless search engine

a grinder a lever and some beans

What dfk is back!! Does that mean I have to change my profile picture back? The spells worked it would seem.

And yeah forum activity from me has died off since Tapatalk usability took a massive nosedive. And trying to navigate via “mobile friendly” webpage haha erm..... no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

What dfk is back!! Does that mean I have to change my profile picture back? The spells worked it would seem.

And yeah forum activity from me has died off since Tapatalk usability took a massive nosedive. And trying to navigate via “mobile friendly” webpage haha erm..... no thanks.

Tapatalk pretty much got sorted a while ago.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Tapatalk pretty much got sorted a while ago.

When? Mine is still notifying me 12 hours later in some cases. Then posts won’t load. Everything is updated too from the app side.

• Like 3

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

When? Mine is still notifying me 12 hours later in some cases. Then posts won’t load. Everything is updated too from the app side.

Ah yeah, forgot you were still having troubles with it. Maybe it's a iphone vs android thing.

• Like 1

My TT is fine 😊 

In fact everything is fine!

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

2 hours ago, Marocchino said:

Someone mentioned in an earlier reply to this thread a comment about banter and twaddle - I guess you’ll always get some on a forum. Probably the place would be a little dull without it and maybe it could be argued that it adds another layer of texture  - it also has the potential to alienate “outsiders” from the key contributors too.

It depends on the banter though. I am still unsure if some stuff is said in jest, as a joke, or as a serious statement or question. To be honest, I’m not bothered either way. Nothing much I read on here (banter/in jokes/pokes call it what you will) sinks in for long enough for me to think of a response and if it come across as rude or nasty then I just think to myself 'what a twit' and move on. 

• Like 3

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Ah yeah, forgot you were still having troubles with it. Maybe it's a iphone vs android thing. 

Could be then. I guess I’d better make the switch to Android been meaning to for years

• Like 1

@SkateReclaimCreate

22 minutes ago, joey24dirt said:

Could be then. I guess I’d better make the switch to Android emoji4.png been meaning to for years

My iPhone TT works like it used to again :)

42 minutes ago, MildredM said:

My TT is fine 😊 

In fact everything is fine!

Yes, everything is fine, isn’t it? It is!

• Like 2

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Could be then. I guess I’d better make the switch to Android been meaning to for years

Don't - I've got Tapatalk blues on android just as you describe

But it seems it's not that quiet after all, look at all these faces commenting on this here thread alone!
  • Like 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

There is a relatively infamous play set on Tyneside, called 'Close the coal house door pet'. In it, 2 old Geordie characters are talking, and one says to the other, 'thats an example of diversification.' Eh, says the other, please explain.........'why man, it's when you knock down your coal mines and build yer perfume factories'.
Progress means different things to different people 

Nice to hear from you Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Don't - I've got Tapatalk blues on android just as you describe

But it seems it's not that quiet after all, look at all these faces commenting on this here thread alone!

I’m using tapa talk on iPhone. It’s ok as far as I can tell....maybe that’s why it’s i’m contributing less...

Bring back Anthorn and Ajohn......and that fella that was obsessed with building walls for cats.

There I’ve said it!....There’s a dark (and a stupid) part of my consciousness that sort of misses them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I didn’t know ajohn had gone anywhere 😮

@milly - it doesn’t sink in? That’s just senility!!!

• Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

now that there's less Johns and Daves around, it's also less confusing :exit:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

1 minute ago, Hasi said:

now that there's less Johns and Daves around, it's also less confusing emoji15.png:exit:

Hey watch it

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

I’m using tapa talk on iPhone. It’s ok as far as I can tell....maybe that’s why it’s i’m contributing less...

maybe pro and free versions differ in update frequency as well... who knows?
  • Like 1

says Hasi.

Hey watch it
:popcorn: on it!
  • Like 1

says Hasi.

maybe pro and free versions differ in update frequency as well... who knows?
That's a possibility. Seems strange it's affecting both iphone & android users yet others are fine.

11 hours ago, coffeechap said:

Anyone else noticed just how quiet it is on the forum? I notice most of the key contributors are posting very very little now!

You know, there's an easy solution for it...

no_niche.jpg

• Like 5

For me something that kill membership are new products that attract a sudden following, for example back in 2015 there was a love fest for the Eureka 65E - even Jesus and Buddha had one apparently because it was the best and greater than anything ever made even at 750 quid - members were buying them and congratulating each other none stop in a 65E love-in / orgy. Hey its a ok grinder but its far from the best and at that kind of price people eventually realised that damn I spent all that money on something based on advice of that forums collective voice, why did I listen ive now realised that the noise conned me and I could have got something better. A close friend bought one and when its all you know it seems great then he got a 83 flat and suddenly realised that Jesus and Buddha got their E65's for free and secretly at home really used  EK43's. 

My point is that for a product to really make it into a worthwhile purchase and for forum members to not feel conned and leave, it needs to stand the test of time, only listen to the voice of people who have lived experience of a wide variety of machines and know how to get the best from them, and to be clear I don't include myself in that list of members by a long way.

The forum needs reasoned unbiased constructive criticism of products

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

keep calm and grind flat

Ps: this thread earlier in the month is similar to this one:

Post's & members

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/index.php?/topic/47084-Post%27s-%26-members

Well... I’ve been busy changing the group seals of my La Pav...

At least for me, after the big upgrade which didn’t go so well, it feels to me that posting here lost its appeal. Searches which don’t work, threads from over 5 years ago showing up in the new posts.... new members showing up who just need help “right now” but have no intention of contributing to the community. A quick search - if it worked - would have got their answer straight away.

I don’t know... it’s one of those things. Sometimes people just need a not so positive experience or bad press to re-evaluate their habits.

I still check the forum every day, but sometimes don’t feel I have much to contribute anymore.

143b47f597ac73160181bd19df960182.jpg

• Like 6