Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone looking to sell MacBook Pro or similar... Needs to be Apple Laptop. Its for my son who says it needs to be 2014 or newer... I'm not even sure about price range or specs etc (its for editing films). We have only just started looking so still sussing things out.

Let us know what you've got?

Many thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of 2015 pro have had battery recalls. So be careful


SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

 

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess he states Mac because of the Final Cut software, which can cost upto £300 to get installed on a machine as well. Just as a heads up. I bought my Mac from new for £2.2kish back in 2014. There was a batch/batches post 2014 which had faulty batteries. I think the 2014 ones still sell for over a grand, plus the cost of the editing software.

They only have SSD storage, no Hard storage, so you'd also need an external hard drive for storage. It boots up and runs quick, but I did get the 512gb SSD model - pretty much top spec unless I were to customise my own with up to 1TB SSD. They also sold them with 8gb RAM and 256gb storage (SSD again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may even be an Apple 27" monitor going for sale soon (1x LCD & 1x Thunderbolt), depends how large he wants to go...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Achrys said:

There may even be an Apple 27" monitor going for sale soon (1x LCD & 1x Thunderbolt), depends how large he wants to go...

Anything for the espresso machine!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMFAO - YES! I've also got a spare Macbook Pro 2011, i7, 2.2GHZ SSD if anyone wants to buy that too. And about 3 ipads,  😂

I just picked up an 'L-plate' grinder this morning. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. I know they're not brilliant - but bang for buck, they'll start me off just fine! And I defo won't lose any money on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be selling my Macbook Pro soon. It's a few years older (2009/10) but will be priced a lot cheaper around the £250 mark. Quick specs to see if it might be of interest are: 

13" MBP, Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 870GB Fusion Drive

I had the disc component removed to make space for an additional hard drive. The computer has a 120GB SSD for running software and systems, and a 750GB HDD for storage. 

It would benefit from a new battery, but other than that it's in fairly decent condition. I've used it to operate music software as well as the occasional bit of film and image editing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jony said:

Most of 2015 pro have had battery recalls. So be careful

Only 15" models though, nearly all affected units sold in USA and Canada. Can be checked online using the serial so worth checking anyway for sure, straightforward battery replacement program if so. 

@russe11 one simple measure of wear/tear on macbooks is to ask for the battery cycle count. Always worth asking for this from the seller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, catpuccino said:

Only 15" models though, nearly all affected units sold in USA and Canada. Can be checked online using the serial so worth checking anyway for sure, straightforward battery replacement program if so. 

@russe11 one simple measure of wear/tear on macbooks is to ask for the battery cycle count. Always worth asking for this from the seller.

Well I never knew that... My 2014 cycle count is 300 - is that good do you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sure is quite low that. My Macbook Air  2015 is 826. It is my goto Computer

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

 

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jony said:

Sure is quite low that. My Macbook Air  2015 is 826. It is my goto Computer

Fair enough. I suppose I don't actually use it a lot - try to stay away from the computer when I'm not at work - spend 9 hours a day on one anyway! What does the cycle count actually tell you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Battery condition.


SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

 

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This i7 MacBook Pro I have is on 247 cycles - great stuff. Just installed an SSD last week too - amazing the difference it makes to the machine. Even when I’m currently using a highly spec’d 2016 Touch Bar model - it holds its own. Main difference is the weight, and thickness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Achrys @Jony @catpuccino @Cooffe

Thanks a lot chaps! A wealth of useful info.. I'm glad I put a post up now!

I realise you need to be a bit cautious buying a used machine but at least I'm slightly clued up now! Out of interest does anyone know what it would cost for a new battery to be fitted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, russe11 said:

@Achrys @Jony @catpuccino @Cooffe

Thanks a lot chaps! A wealth of useful info.. I'm glad I put a post up now!

I realise you need to be a bit cautious buying a used machine but at least I'm slightly clued up now! Out of interest does anyone know what it would cost for a new battery to be fitted?

I think a replacement costs about £60 ish quid. As it'll be out of warranty at the age you're looking at, I'd suggest doing it yourself. It's a fairly easy replacement and there's plenty of guides online. The only thing I think you'll need is a tri-flange scewdriver which is annoying.

Another way to tell if the battery is gone/going is to try out the trackpad. If it doesn't "click" properly, then it could be due to the battery swelling, it's obviously not the only thing that can cause issues with the trackpad, but is one of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2019 at 22:33, Achrys said:

This i7 MacBook Pro I have is on 247 cycles - great stuff. Just installed an SSD last week too - amazing the difference it makes to the machine. Even when I’m currently using a highly spec’d 2016 Touch Bar model - it holds its own. Main difference is the weight, and thickness!

How much do they go for? What OS do they support as well?

I have an ancient Mac Pro desktop (the tower looks like a huge Remington razor lol) and I can only go up to 10.7.5. My laptop is a Sony Vaio running Vista. It's outlived my hp Windows 10 POS, but everything on it is outdated and nothing can be updated like browsers as it's now too old.


Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhys said:

How much do they go for? What OS do they support as well?

I have an ancient Mac Pro desktop (the tower looks like a huge Remington razor lol) and I can only go up to 10.7.5. My laptop is a Sony Vaio running Vista. It's outlived my hp Windows 10 POS, but everything on it is outdated and nothing can be updated like browsers as it's now too old.

I’ve got High Sierra running on it now (had Yosemite for ages). Runs much better than I was expecting. So Siri, Apple Pay and all that business is compatible - as to value, I’m not really sure - but a quick search via auction sites should give an idea. let me know what it’s worth! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Achrys said:

I’ve got High Sierra running on it now (had Yosemite for ages). Runs much better than I was expecting. So Siri, Apple Pay and all that business is compatible - as to value, I’m not really sure - but a quick search via auction sites should give an idea. let me know what it’s worth! 

I'm thinking of getting something newer than what I've got tbh (which leaves a lot open to me lol). Will it run Mojave? 


Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rhys said:

I'm thinking of getting something newer than what I've got tbh (which leaves a lot open to me lol). Will it run Mojave? 

Sorry for late reply, been to a BBQ and have spent half the day driving back and forth. Nope, just checked, it won’t run Mojave - and general valuation seems to be approx £300-350, depending on condition.  👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • About:

    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:

    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

    Terms of Use

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Buy Advertising Space

    Donate

    Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)

×
×
  • Create New...