Sign in to follow this  
DanW

Took the ACS plunge

I've had upgraditis for a long time now with my Gaggia Classic (old version) and Iberital MC2 out performing and out lasting all my expectations for the last 10 years +

Following lots and lots of research and agonising over HX vs DB and Rocket vs Lelit etc. I finally came across the YouTube content on the ACS Minima courtesy of DaveC.

A full E61, dual boiler machine, made in Italy with great specs for £1199 at Bella Barista. Read every word there is to read and decided that Dave seems like a stand up guy and BB wouldnt retail it if it had nothing going for it.

Arrived today and I could not be happier. Easy to set up, more beautiful in the flesh and the whole thing just has a great sense of quality to it. Fair enough I've only made one flat white so lots to learn but so far I'm smiling ear to ear.

I've got it set up on a smart timer switch to come on for my morning and then lunch time coffees. Also got a niche grinder on order although James Hoffman's plug may have set delivery date back a bit! "Shipping August".

IMG_20190716_110708_041.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice, both.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

AYYYY WELCOME TO THE CLUB! Jealous of the latte art (3 or 2 hole steam tip?)

Out of curiosity - what smart plug do you have? :) I need to invest...

Just now, Cooffe said:

AYYYY WELCOME TO THE CLUB! Jealous of the latte art (3 or 2 hole steam tip?)

Out of curiosity - what smart plug do you have? :) I need to invest...

I just went with the three hole tip for starters, was amazed that I got a fair texture on the milk on my first attempt, beginners luck I'm sure.

Went with the TECKIN smart plug, one of the first in the list on Amazon. Not gunna lie it was a pain to pair it up but now that it is up and running it works great.

15633034519644414034861153249066.jpg

1 minute ago, DanW said:

I just went with the three hole tip for starters, was amazed that I got a fair texture on the milk on my first attempt, beginners luck I'm sure.

Went with the TECKIN smart plug, one of the first in the list on Amazon. Not gunna lie it was a pain to pair it up but now that it is up and running it works great.

15633034519644414034861153249066.jpg

Interesting... did you make good use of Amazon Prime Day (or two)?

I did see them up earlier. Apparently D-Link and WeMo are also good to get... Can you control it from your phone to turn it on/off whenever?

2 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Interesting... did you make good use of Amazon Prime Day (or two)?

I did see them up earlier. Apparently D-Link and WeMo are also good to get... Can you control it from your phone to turn it on/off whenever?

I think I might have ordered before Prime day officially started.  Seemed like a good price as standard.

Yeah you can set up as many schedules as you like for on/off or you can just remotely toggle it on/off from anywhere with internet connection. 

48 minutes ago, Jony said:

Very nice, both.

Thanks very much 😊

The Kasa D/link is £13/14 on prime today

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

TP link has been fantastic so far. App is great too

• Like 1

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

49 minutes ago, Jony said:

The Kasa D/link is £13/14 on prime today

Damn, cheers @Jony, do you have a link for me please?

14 hours ago, DanW said:

I've had upgraditis for a long time now with my Gaggia Classic (old version) and Iberital MC2 out performing and out lasting all my expectations for the last 10 years +

Following lots and lots of research and agonising over HX vs DB and Rocket vs Lelit etc. I finally came across the YouTube content on the ACS Minima courtesy of DaveC.

A full E61, dual boiler machine, made in Italy  .....

A point of fact correction - the Minima does not have a full e61 group. It does not have the pre infusion part ( slow pressure ramp up) which helps to reduce channeling. 

18 minutes ago, Nikko said:

A point of fact correction - the Minima does not have a full e61 group. It does not have the pre infusion part ( slow pressure ramp up) which helps to reduce channeling. 

I thought it did?

Posted (edited)

Hi Sorry to hijack someone else's thread.  having trouble with my vesuvius using a smart plug tp-link hs100, everything seems to be working ie wifi being picked up, turns the machine on and off, except when it turns it on it only goes to standby  i then have press the touch pad to turn it on, which kind of defeats the purpose. @Mrboots2u did you ever find out the problem with the toggle state on your old vesuvius mine does the same or similar. appreciate any help

ps @DavecUK  I was just looking at a conversation you were having with mrboots2u over on the acs owners forum a few years back. where  you said , if the machine is switched off at the wall socket when powered up, it will be in whatever state it was when it was switched off . mine doesn't it just stays in off mode

Edited by eddie57

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge

I ran my Vesuvius with a tp link and a wemo successfully. I just ensured the machine was not in standby when it was utilised. So the machine was switched off at the plug when it was on. Not standby. And when used it always turned on in the 'on' state. Have you looked in the manual to see if there is some kind of standby override.

It was nothing I ever looked at as mine was fine on a WiFi plug.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Thanks for responding Nick. I Have looked at the manual can't find anything to override, hoping Davecuk will have some suggestions 

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, eddie57 said:

Hi Sorry to hijack someone else's thread.  having trouble with my vesuvius using a smart plug tp-link hs100, everything seems to be working ie wifi being picked up, turns the machine on and off, except when it turns it on it only goes to standby  i then have press the touch pad to turn it on, which kind of defeats the purpose. @Mrboots2u did you ever find out the problem with the toggle state on your old vesuvius mine does the same or similar. appreciate any help

ps @DavecUK  I was just looking at a conversation you were having with mrboots2u over on the acs owners forum a few years back. where  you said , if the machine is switched off at the wall socket when powered up, it will be in whatever state it was when it was switched off . mine doesn't it just stays in off mode

Hi

Sorry for late reply, I found that my timer , simply changed the state of the machine , so if it was on and the timer was set to on , it would set it too off and vice versa , so it was just toggling the state. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Thanks 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Ah right mine does that as well has done since i've had the machine.  never bothered me before, it's only since I bought the smart plug that I noticed that when I turn the machine off on the wall socket with toggle state left on,  then turn it back on it goes to standby or off mode.  

Niche Zero Grinder arrives tomorrow! Guess they are under promising and over delivering :)

Very nice!  I would be interested to know if there is much difference in the espresso produced from this vs your old Gaggia?

2 minutes ago, Caffeine fan said:

Very nice!  I would be interested to know if there is much difference in the espresso produced from this vs your old Gaggia?

Yes obviously.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I wondered if there was a steep learning curve in getting a decent cup or whether the results were much improved virtually straight away.