dangrenade

Gaggia Classic PID help

Hi folks, i've been lurking for a while, reading reviews and on that basis bought a Gaggia Classic and Iberital MC2 grinder.

I love the classic, however as an eternal tinkerer i went after the PID mod to try and get some more consistency in my espresso.

I got all the bits together, however the controller i purchased was a CKC tinner Rex-C100.

I've two issues, when is set the input as PT100 i get nonsensical temperature readings, i'm using a 3-wire PT100. I'm ordered, or should i say received, a cheap HK variant of the C100 that isn't configurable for pt100, i.e. software is but hardware isn't. Does anyone have experience of this controller.

My second issue is that with the two SSR's mounted against the back wall the water spout fouls on the 2nd relay and i can't re-install it.

I appreciate any guidance available.

Cheers

Danny

I can't help you with the C100/PT100 but the SSRs need to be mounted as low and central as possible.

spacer.png

hth

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the photo. Can I ask are your relays 25A or 40A, perhaps the relays I have are slightly deeper and this is causing the fouling on the spout.

By an amazing coincidence mine is  is topless at the moment,  they are SSR-40s and have a depth of about 23mm.

The other thing you could do is get the funnel and apply heat and bend it away, water will still flow.  🐱

12 hours ago, Agentb said:

By an amazing coincidence mine is  is topless at the moment,  they are SSR-40s and have a depth of about 23mm.

The other thing you could do is get the funnel and apply heat and bend it away, water will still flow.  🐱

Is this something you have done? I have the new GC Pro, and a PID kit from @MrShades. My top wont sit flat (and creates a bit of a curve and a rattling when the pump is on) now the spout is pushing against the relay. I tried using a hairdryer to soften the plastic and bend it in a bit, but it didn't seem to be making it pliable enough. i didnt want to try too hard in case it broke as there is a seam right on that part. Was thinking of adding some sort of extender (like this mechano piece ) so i could sit the relay lower, not interfering with the spout. How did you do yours?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pablo El Beano said:

Is this something you have done? I have the new GC Pro, and a PID kit from @MrShades. My top wont sit flat (and creates a bit of a curve and a rattling when the pump is on) now the spout is pushing against the relay. I tried using a hairdryer to soften the plastic and bend it in a bit, but it didn't seem to be making it pliable enough. i didnt want to try too hard in case it broke as there is a seam right on that part. Was thinking of adding some sort of extender (like this mechano piece ) so i could sit the relay lower, not interfering with the spout. How did you do yours?

Are you certain the spout of the funnel is reaching through the hole in the metal case into the water container  and not getting stuck?  It should poke out about a centimetre.

Mine is a bit tricky but does with a little bit if wiggling line up, the getting the front locking tabs needs a bit of perservence..

If i needed to heat it i think i would either use the steam wand or something with a bit more heat than a hair dryer.

I don't have a GC Pro, i believe the internal pump mount is different from the older classic, maybe other things have changed / position. 

i use a cable tie to stop the pump touching things.  If i needed the relay to go lower then i think would just drill a small hole in the case.:good:

Edited by Agentb

44 minutes ago, Agentb said:

Are you certain the spout of the funnel is reaching through the hole in the metal case into the water container  and not getting stuck?  It should poke out about a centimetre.

Mine is a bit tricky but does with a little bit if wiggling line up, the getting the front locking tabs needs a bit of perservence..

If i needed to heat it i think i would either use the steam wand or something with a bit more heat than a hair dryer.

I don't have a GC Pro, i believe the internal pump mount is different from the older classic, maybe other things have changed / position. 

i use a cable tie to stop the pump touching things.  If i needed the relay to go lower then i think would just drill a small hole in the case.:good:

Yep, the spout is going through. Just getting pushed back a bit by the Steam relay. All good, I'll work something out.

Just measured my relays and they are 26mm, the extra 3 mm is probably enough to cause the fouling. I'll most likely drill a small hole and mount it lower as there's plenty of room. 

Quick update, I replaced the PID controller with another and all is working now. Must've been a faulty controller.

Now to play with tuning sets, and configure the alarm functionality for the steam.

• Like 1