Noodle

Perfect extraction one day, choked machine the next

I have a barista express that i use daily and always clean well and keep in good working order. The last week I've been having a perfect 2:1 ratio extraction at 30 seconds and have enjoyed coffee heaven every single morning. Until today.

Same warm up time (half an hour), same grind (setting 3), same dose (19g). But when I hit the button today to extract I get drip drip drip.

I have no idea why, and it took adjusting the grind setting up 3 notches to get anything close to the proper extraction I was after.

Is anyone able to shed any light on why this might be happening?

10 minutes ago, Noodle said:

I have a barista express that i use daily and always clean well and keep in good working order. The last week I've been having a perfect 2:1 ratio extraction at 30 seconds and have enjoyed coffee heaven every single morning. Until today.

Same warm up time (half an hour), same grind (setting 3), same dose (19g). But when I hit the button today to extract I get drip drip drip.

I have no idea why, and it took adjusting the grind setting up 3 notches to get anything close to the proper extraction I was after.

Is anyone able to shed any light on why this might be happening?

Ageing of beans - tamping and distrubution . The way the water moves through a coffee puck and how long it takes are effect by all of those . Some people will say taping pressure but it's unlikely to be that to the degree you are talking about. 

Other than that is your machine displaying any odd noises or straining while working that it wasnt before >

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

4 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Ageing of beans - tamping and distrubution . The way the water moves through a coffee puck and how long it takes are effect by all of those . Some people will say taping pressure but it's unlikely to be that to the degree you are talking about. 

Other than that is your machine displaying any odd noises or straining while working that it wasnt before >

Could also be if there's any old grinds left in the chute. The distance it has to go is quite short, but still retains some, in my experiences. I used to purge (and still do) about 5g of coffee before my first shot.

1 minute ago, Cooffe said:

Could also be if there's any old grinds left in the chute. The distance it has to go is quite short, but still retains some, in my experiences. I used to purge (and still do) about 5g of coffee before my first shot.

For sure , although you would think older coffee mixed with new would speed the shot up a bit ..

• Like 1

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 minute ago, Mrboots2u said:

For sure , although you would think older coffee mixed with new would speed the shot up a bit ..

Definitely. I just thought that... Wonder if OP loaded it with new beans, and they've just made their way through?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Definitely. I just thought that... Wonder if OP loaded it with new beans, and they've just made their way through?

Could be , I mean if in your espresso life , if every shot comes out the same weight,  in the same time, with the same bean, then your doing better than 99% of people. 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks for the responses everyone! The beans were the same, I've been using the same beans for about a week. So ageing could be an issue I suppose but for them to change so fast is strange?Perhaps I should work on my tamping technique. It'll be interesting if tomorrow I try again and it comes out far too fast. The machine itself seems to be performing just fine, no weird noises.

I'll update tomorrow after I do a better job of distributing, tamp with a little less pressure and purge the grinder!

Thanks for the responses everyone! The beans were the same, I've been using the same beans for about a week. So ageing could be an issue I suppose but for them to change so fast is strange?Perhaps I should work on my tamping technique. It'll be interesting if tomorrow I try again and it comes out far too fast. The machine itself seems to be performing just fine, no weird noises.
I'll update tomorrow after I do a better job of distributing, tamp with a little less pressure and purge the grinder!
Did you rest the beans before first use?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

They were roasted on 29th June, and I first used them on 5th July so I suppose they've had long enough?

Updates! 19g coffee gave me 40g in 17 seconds... on the same grind setting as yesterday that just about came out quick enough.  One thing I did do last night was give my machine a thorough clean and used a cleaning tablet.

This morning I also tamped with less pressure and spent more time distributing the grounds evenly.

I could expect tamping and distribution to have a significant impact but could it really be so much? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Noodle said:

They were roasted on 29th June, and I first used them on 5th July so I suppose they've had long enough?

Updates! 19g coffee gave me 40g in 17 seconds... on the same grind setting as yesterday that just about came out quick enough.  One thing I did do last night was give my machine a thorough clean and used a cleaning tablet.

This morning I also tamped with less pressure and spent more time distributing the grounds evenly.

I could expect tamping and distribution to have a significant impact but could it really be so much? 

19g dose? What machine are you using and do you have a 20-22g basket?

EDIT: Just noticed it's a Barista Express. 19g is a lot in one of them. I found the sweet spot at 17g dose

Edited by Cooffe

22 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

You would think that if the coffee is older it should run faster not slower

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

12 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Impacts, tamp pressure not so much. Trust me, 5 to 10lbs less or extra pressure isn't changing the shot thst much. Getting it even in the basket definately has an impact 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Are you weighing the grind manually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

9 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

Are you weighing the grind manually?

Yes, i grind and then put the portafilter on my coffee scales. What other method is there?

1 hour ago, Cooffe said:

19g dose? What machine are you using and do you have a 20-22g basket?

EDIT: Just noticed it's a Barista Express. 19g is a lot in one of them. I found the sweet spot at 17g dose

Ooo ok thanks for the tip. What ratio do you go for?

5 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Ooo ok thanks for the tip. What ratio do you go for?

Dependent on the bean but normally 1:2 as a starting point. Yirgacheffes I went as high as 1:3, and some very very dark beans I had I think I actually did 1:1.25

• Thanks 1

Yes, i grind and then put the portafilter on my coffee scales. What other method is there?

Sorry I just wondered if you were single dosing (weighing bean then grinding) or grinding beans the weighing the grinds.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

On 12/07/2019 at 22:37, urbanbumpkin said:

Sorry I just wondered if you were single dosing (weighing bean then grinding) or grinding beans the weighing the grinds.

Ahhh ok! No i grind and then weigh and then add or remove with a small spoon