HelloFrank

Recommend me a lever upgrade

Posted (edited)
(Sorry if this is the wrong section to post in - please let me know if it is and I will move it).

I am after recommendations for a lever machine upgrade. We currently use, every day, an Elektra MicroCassa Lever and a pre-milemium LaPav Lever Professional. 

My frustration is the over-heating, especially on the Elektra, as I have now to regualry make 3-4 drinks at a time and they are both incosistant. What's my upgrade options?

Criteria:
-Home use
-Not switched on all the time: only used 2-3 times a day, but is used every day.
-Reliable , needs to just work; I don't mind having it prof serviced.
-Single lever, I don't want a big commercial dual lever. This is for our home kitchen, not a cafe.
-Budget is up to 2.5K
-Makes 3-4 constant drinks at a time.
-Primarily used for milky drinks: caps, flat whites etc. Quality velvet milk is important.
-Does not need to be plumbed in, but could be if needed.
-No horrible plastic trim.
-We are good at our grinding (thanks Simon for the Mazzer) and are precise.
-We don't mind having to learn and 'get gud'. It can be complicated, I don't mind putting the effort in to learn.
-Must be a lever - we love the theatre, simplicity, reliability and challenge.

What should be on our shortlist?
Edited by HelloFrank
Added criteria

@MildredM does the L-R fit the bill for this - or is it an e61 group?

Could always use a WiFi switch if you know when the machine will be used...

• Like 1

(Sorry if this is the wrong section to post in - please let me know if it is and I will move it).   I am after recommendations for a lever machine upgrade. We currently use, every day, an Elektra MicroCassa Lever and a pre-milemium LaPav Lever Professional.    My frustration is the over-heating, especially on the Elektra, as I have now to regualry make 3-4 drinks at a time and they are both incosistant. What's my upgrade options?   Criteria: -Home use -Not switched on all the time: only used 2-3 times a day, but is used every day. -Reliable , needs to just work; I don't mind having it prof serviced. -Single lever, I don't want a big commercial dual lever. This is for our home kitchen, not a cafe. -Budget is up to 2.5K -Makes 3-4 constant drinks at a time. -Primarily used for milky drinks: caps, flat whites etc. Quality velvet milk is important. -Does not need to be plumbed in, but could be if needed. -No horrible plastic trim. -We are good at our grinding (thanks Simon for the Mazzer) and are precise. -We don't mind having to learn and 'get gud'. It can be complicated, I don't mind putting the effort in to learn. -Must be a lever - we love the theatre, simplicity, reliability and challenge.   What should be on our shortlist?
A Londinium R is in your budget.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Are you happy with the steaming from the MicroCasa or the LP?  Then you might consider keeping one for steaming and get a Strietman CT2 for you espresso, it's an open boiler and no overheating.  You can do back to back shots, if you have multiple baskets.  You can be up to temperature in 7 minutes.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

Strietman CT1, DE1PRO, EG-1 v2, HG-1, Kinu M47, Baratza Vario brew, Lido E, RB 58.5, Reneka Micro Sieve, VST

1 hour ago, Cooffe said:

@MildredM does the L-R fit the bill for this - or is it an e61 group?

Could always use a WiFi switch if you know when the machine will be used...

I already use a WiFi switch on the existing ones, so am happy to control that way. 

2 hours ago, Bolta said:

Are you happy with the steaming from the MicroCasa or the LP?  Then you might consider keeping one for steaming and get a Strietman CT2 for you espresso, it's an open boiler and no overheating.  .

I like you thinking, but my other half thinks the Strietman is too ugly (personally, I love it).

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ashcroc said:

A Londinium R is in your budget.

Yes, I have seen it but know nothing about it. 

Will do my research, but is that my only option? 

Edited by HelloFrank
Spelling

You could improve the temp stability of the Pavoni by Adding a heat sink ! Otherwise the best lever machine out there for all roast levels and repeatable simple results is an LR

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

1 hour ago, coffeechap said:

You could improve the temp stability of the Pavoni by Adding a heat sink ! Otherwise the best lever machine out there for all roast levels and repeatable simple results is an LR

2.5k can buy a whole lot of heat sinks dude!!

Profitec 800 maybe?

Bezzera Strega?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HelloFrank said:

Yes, I have seen it but know nothing about it. 

Will do my research, but is that my only option? 

Given that it fits in your budget, you don't need any other options ;)

• Like 1

LR, ZM

32 minutes ago, Hasi said:

2.5k can buy a whole lot of heat sinks dude!!

Profitec 800 maybe?

Bezzera Strega?

Strega? Oh dear

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AKA Toffee chips

20 minutes ago, coffeechap said:

Strega? Oh dear

Who should buy a Strega? - Schulman, baby!! :D:D:D

• Like 1

Strega? Oh dear
Is that the machine with the video that gave me PTSD just by watching it?
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
1 hour ago, coffeechap said:
Strega? Oh dear

Is that the machine with the video that gave me PTSD just by watching it?

yes starring HBs Jim Schulman.
But there's more than one video, one gives you PTFE, another one a PID, maybe even SPIF?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hope not to sound pedantic, I've been researching some machines including the LR for a while now; I wish it was £2.5K, it's currently showing at £2228.17 + VAT =  £2673.80. It appears they don't come around as second hand in the UK that often either. 

• Like 1

Hope not to sound pedantic, I've been researching some machines including the LR for a while now; I wish it was £2.5K, it's currently showing at £2228.17 + VAT =  £2673.80. It appears they don't come around as second hand in the UK that often either. 
If you pay by direct bank transfer you get a 5% discount. So the total is a tad over £2.5k.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

£2540.11 with the discount. 

I paid the via bank transfer and there were no issues at all

• Like 1

LR, ZM

Thanks @Planter and @Fez for the heads up - I’ve been so busy reading all I can on the Support pages of the Londinium, website and the forums that I missed this really important point.

5% discount certainly helps to make the deal more agreeable.🤔😀

• Like 1

Just another tip. If you do decide you want something else from Londinium like a tamper or extra portafilter etc, make sure to order it with the machine for free delivery. Otherwise that £8 postage really stings hahaha

• Like 2

LR, ZM

8 hours ago, Fez said:

Just another tip. If you do decide you want something else from Londinium like a tamper or extra portafilter etc, make sure to order it with the machine for free delivery. Otherwise that £8 postage really stings hahaha

......good advice 😀

• Like 1

For home use, there really is no alternative to Londinium, in my utterly biased opinion, and you would never need to look again at another machine in your coffee making life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil104 said:

For home use, there really is no alternative to Londinium, in my utterly biased opinion, and you would never need to look again at another machine in your coffee making life.

Couldn't have said it better. It's definitely worth that £40 over your budget @HelloFrank

• Like 2

LR, ZM

Alternatively, sell a kidney for about £4k and you'd still be in £1.5k profit

Result.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is that all a kidney is worth these days??? 

Can't even get a monolith with that £1500 change 😕

Edited by Fez
  • Like 2

LR, ZM

That's gotta be the main reason so few come up 2nd hand.
  • Like 1