Lesbanim

The bottom has fallen out of my world

Well it's better than the other way around!

The base of the grounds cup has come loose on my Feld 2, what's the best thing to stick it back together with?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread discussing this before but I can't find the right search words to locate it tonight.

Images would help. Base has come loose? Surely it could just be a broken O-ring. They should have provided a spare when you bought it.

13 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Images would help. Base has come loose? Surely it could just be a broken O-ring. They should have provided a spare when you bought it.

I didn't notice until you mentioned an o-ring that there is a groove for one there, I guess the same o ring that holds the cup on could hold the base on although I can't see a need to ever remove it. It looks as though some sort of glue might have held the base on before. I think I'd rather glue it on for a more permanent fix it I can.

IMAG0882.jpg

Hold up - is that on the base of the grounds collector? I never even noticed it was a separate part. I don't believe it is actually held in by an O-ring but rather glue, as you suggest, is it the part in the picture below? Please excuse my dry hands...

image.thumb.png.d333f3aace5e078db568cb1be8b5052b.png

I had an issue where the lid fell off and the MBK logo on the top actually fell off - was held in by some shit glue as well. The O-ring supplied is actually for the retention of the grounds collector to the burr housing, so wouldn't do anything there.

My best suggestion? Add a small amount of adhesive (that you know can be removed... maybe avoid super glue) and retain it that way. Trying to get an answer from the bloke up in Edinburgh (Simon?) may be like drawing blood from a stone.

2 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Hold up - is that on the base of the grounds collector? I never even noticed it was a separate part. I don't believe it is actually held in by an O-ring but rather glue, as you suggest, is it the part in the picture below? Please excuse my dry hands...

I had an issue where the lid fell off and the MBK logo on the top actually fell off - was held in by some shit glue as well. The O-ring supplied is actually for the retention of the grounds collector to the burr housing, so wouldn't do anything there.

My best suggestion? Add a small amount of adhesive (that you know can be removed... maybe avoid super glue) and retain it that way. Trying to get an answer from the bloke up in Edinburgh (Simon?) may be like drawing blood from a stone.

Yes, that's the part, I guess I'm really just looking for suggestions of the best adhesive to use.

I'd suggest something food safe. Maybe some IdealSeal Food grade stuff. I'd personally try to avoid any 2 part epoxy's as they can smell a bit and also will stick for life. Might not be the best idea if you ever do need to remove it.

1 minute ago, Cooffe said:

I'd suggest something food safe. Maybe some IdealSeal Food grade stuff. I'd personally try to avoid any 2 part epoxy's as they can smell a bit and also will stick for life. Might not be the best idea if you ever do need to remove it.

That rules out everything I already have then! 😄

thanks for your help 👍

Just now, Lesbanim said:

That rules out everything I already have then! 😄

thanks for your help 👍

Haha, I'm sure amazon can be your friend... 

On another note - can you see what it was originally stuck with? Is there any residue left or does it all appear to have disintegrated? Might be worth feeling if it's still sticky and note whether it is silicone? Epoxy will be hard it if is cured properly.

5 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Haha, I'm sure amazon can be your friend... 

On another note - can you see what it was originally stuck with? Is there any residue left or does it all appear to have disintegrated? Might be worth feeling if it's still sticky and note whether it is silicone? Epoxy will be hard it if is cured properly.

There's not much of it but it's definitely not silicone based, I would say it's some sort of epoxy and that mine didn't get enough or didn't get mixed properly as what's left has scraped off quite easily with my thumb nail.

5 minutes ago, Lesbanim said:

There's not much of it but it's definitely not silicone based, I would say it's some sort of epoxy and that mine didn't get enough or didn't get mixed properly as what's left has scraped off quite easily with my thumb nail.

Hmm. If it’s hard then maybe it is epoxy. I’d research into food safe epoxies and see what/how you feel about putting it on. If it’s scraping off easily then it might not have cured properly.