Hey,

Might be a silly question but how does everyone store their coffee?

- Packet the coffee comes in?

- Airtight Co2 releasing canister?

- Generic

Would be interested to know and apologies if this has been discussed already but I couldn’t find any discussion on this already.

I used to store mine in the hopper above the grinder, what wasn’t in the hopper was in the freezer in the bag it came in.

I now don’t have a hopper on my grinder so have bought an airtight tin for it.   Not sure I get the airtight thing, I open it about 5 times a day.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic (2019), La Pavoni Euopiccola (1985ish), Niche zero grinder.

Airscape seem to be a popular option.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Airscape

There's forum discount on them from Bella barista

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

Similar to @GrowlingDog suggested. The beans I have on the go are stored in my grinder's hopper to stop popcorning - damn high burr speeds. The rest will be frozen and clipped with one of those air tight clip things, I'm careful to not cut a massive hole so I can just clip it back. 

I'm quids in if it has zip-loc and a 1 way valve.

Ten days of resting then into the freezer using old but clean takeaway containers, the large size holds 250g perfectly until there required...and they stack nicely

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

17 hours ago, Fez said:

Airscape

Is there a discount code? 

Currently use glass jars with a rubber seal kept in the cupboard. But always open to a change. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gubbo89 said:

Hey,

Might be a silly question but how does everyone store their coffee?

- Packet the coffee comes in?

It's actually a great question. There are many ways and I am sure you already have plenty of food for thought, I also use Airscapes. Here is a little tip for you though: Often people order a few bags of coffee at a time from on-line roasters to keep postage reasonable. If you also do these, make this your first jobs for any bags you are not opening.

1. Squeeze as much air out as you can from the 1 way valve and then tape it (the valve) up good n proper.

2. If you open a bag to take coffee from it, when resealing it make sure the valve is taped up if the seal is above the valve.

3. If you often get larger bags, consider a £18 bag sealer or £6 hair straighteners (which work better on the thicker bags) to reseal bag after you have filled your airscape or similar and as in 2, tape up valve if need be.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/coffee-pouch-sealer-cheap-substitute

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

2 hours ago, garethuk said:

Is there a discount code? 

Stupid Search on the forum!!! Had to use Google eventually 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

It's actually a great question. There are many ways and I am sure you already have plenty of food for thought, I also use Airscapes. Here is a little tip for you though: Often people order a few bags of coffee at a time from on-line roasters to keep postage reasonable. If you also do these, make this your first jobs for any bags you are not opening.

1. Squeeze as much air out as you can from the 1 way valve and then tape it (the valve) up good n proper.

2. If you open a bag to take coffee from it, when resealing it make sure the valve is taped up if the seal is above the valve.

3. If you often get larger bags, consider a £18 bag sealer or £6 hair straighteners (which work better on the thicker bags) to reseal bag after you have filled your airscape or similar and as in 2, tape up valve if need be.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/coffee-pouch-sealer-cheap-substitute

When freezing large bags: Not certain if everyone does this, but I do daily taste tests on those large batches of mail-order beans, and wait before doing the “seal & freeze” until they have off-gassed & aged to the perfect point for my taste preferences.

On 09/07/2019 at 21:40, Fez said:

Airscape

Hey mate , where’s this discount code please?

4 minutes ago, Apatche64 said:

Hey mate , where’s this discount code please?

Scroll up about 3 posts, click on the thread link to what DFK started discount code is on the very first page, very first post.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Apatche64 said:

Hmmm . Seems they don’t do any non airscape ones where the code would work , unless I’m doing something wrong.

would this be just as good at preserving beans? https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/coffee/tightvac-coffee-storage-container.html

got one already but wondering if the airscape is better.

I'm confused. The code is for airscape. I can confirm it works on the airscape light and on the ceramic planetary design ones 

I'm not sure how the tight vac works but it looks like a standard airtight container? The airscape reduces the empty space in the container when you push down, so there's far less air(oxygen) to oxidise the beans 

Edited by Fez

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm confused. The code is for airscape. I can confirm it works on the airscape light and on the ceramic planetary design ones 

I'm not sure how the tight vac works but it looks like a standard airtight container? The airscape reduces the empty space in the container when you push down, so there's far less air(oxygen) to oxidise the beans 

Yes I can see the logic is better with the airscape , just wondering if anyone can give their experiance of it. The tight vac dispels air when you press the lid down reducing the amount of air in the container. 

Its good the code works on airscape , the original link seems to suggest it wouldn’t with planetary designed ones

Edited by Apatche64

I have both, the tightvac only pushes the air out of the space that closes as you push the lid on, the Airscape pushes a lot more air out, the most possible no matter what quantity is stored inside.

Airscape also feels much better quality, given the choice now I would have gone with another Airscape every time.

• Thanks 1

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

2 hours ago, Nick1881 said:

I have both, the tightvac only pushes the air out of the space that closes as you push the lid on, the Airscape pushes a lot more air out, the most possible no matter what quantity is stored inside.

Airscape also feels much better quality, given the choice now I would have gone with another Airscape every time.

Cheers nick , very useful thank you 

Thanks for all the feedback.

I had heard that keeping beans in the fridge is bad so assumed the freezer would be the same - but I guess not.

Have always been concerned with buying bigger bags but will try these tricks and see what happens.