GrowlingDog

2019 Gaggia problem

The only thing I can think is the Solenoid valve wasn't closing properly when I had it, but since sending it back it has fixed itself.

I'm really not sure.

They've seen the video and agreed from the video it looks like there is a problem, but they can't reproduce it.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

Yes exactly that. On the pre-2015 Classic, the OPV opens at a set pressure & returns water to the tank.
Perhaps[mention=339]MrShades[/mention] could confirm but I think the OPV on the 2019 version returns to just before the pump either to drain back to the tank or get pumped round again.

It’s the same as usual - the pump has one pipe attached to the bottom of it that is the pickup from the tank, then there are two pipes coming from the top of the pump. One (lower one) is the high pressure pipe that goes to a manifold (basically a nipple on a mounting plate - like an old OPV but without the OPV part!) and then there’s another standard silicone pipe that is the return back to the tank. So the tank has two pipes in it, as usual.

It doesn’t seem right that the solenoid is giving way and leaking water into the drip tray before the OPV is returning water to the tank - which is what should happen (chokes or otherwise!). The solenoid valve should only vent when the power to the solenoid is dropped and the valve opens - it shouldn’t be possible for it to be forced open by excess pressure (the OPV should vent the pressure instead).

I’m glad I have a proper Classic or two or three :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Ah, I think I have found a difference.  I only have one siliicon pipe in my tank in my 2019 Gaggia, my old Gaggia had 2.

If they send it back to me I think I may have to open it up to investigate how it is all connected.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GrowlingDog said:

Ah, I think I have found a difference.  I only have one siliicon pipe in my tank in my 2019 Gaggia, my old Gaggia had 2.

If they send it back to me I think I may have to open it up to investigate how it is all connected.

Well it definitely should have two look here at 3 minute mark.     Review: Gaggia Classic Pro Espresso Machine 

Perhaps it has been routed badly and is/was kinked or blocked?

Edited by Agentb

Well it definitely should have two look here at 3 minute mark.    

Thanks, it should. My instruction manual confirms the same.

I will speak to the man at Gaggia on Friday who spoke to me today and try and find out what is going on.

Well it definitely should have two look here at 3 minute mark.    

They left the return pipe off some of the pre-2015 machines (& my tebe) so the water just pours back into the tank from the exit point in the case.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I finally have an answer.

Gaggia have updated the design and rerouted the pipe from the psuedo OPV on top of the pump so it now connects into the Dump tube down into the drip tray rather than routes back into the tank.

This seems like a ridiculous waste of water to me.

With that and the auto power off after 20 minutes I have decided to get a refund and do a proper restore on my old Classic.

Gaggia have updated the design and rerouted the pipe from the psuedo OPV on top of the pump so it now connects into the Dump tube down into the drip tray rather than routes back into the tank.

With that and the auto power off after 20 minutes I have decided to get a refund and do a proper restore on my old Classic.
Considering the OPV is on the clean water side (especially so since it's now next to the pump) so won't get contaminated with coffee, that's totally bonkers.
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

Very silly. I'm sure this info will come in handy to others in time, good work.

• Like 1

It's all just silicone rubber tubing though - so really cheap and easy to replumb it as it should be if you wished to.

2 pieces of tubing;   1 from "OPV" into tank; 1 from solenoid to vent tube.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

7 minutes ago, MrShades said:

It's all just silicone rubber tubing though - so really cheap and easy to replumb it as it should be if you wished to.

2 pieces of tubing;   1 from "OPV" into tank; 1 from solenoid to vent tube.

That is true, but I'd prefer not to have to open up and start messing about with a brand new machine.  It seems a stupid design change to me.

Time to get the Citric Acid out on the old one, that may even turn out to be the better idea.   Having not had a Gaggia for a week I have found using La Pav regularly a lot easier than I expected so I will probably only use the Gaggia for when I have friends around, doesn't happen often.

That is true, but I'd prefer not to have to open up and start messing about with a brand new machine.  It seems a stupid design change to me.

Time to get the Citric Acid out on the old one, that may even turn out to be the better idea.   Having not had a Gaggia for a week I have found using La Pav regularly a lot easier than I expected so I will probably only use the Gaggia for when I have friends around, doesn't happen often.
You may as well go the whole hog & get a service kit for it then. That way, you can split the boiler so uou know you have all the gunk out.
  • Like 1

You may as well go the whole hog & get a service kit for it then. That way, you can split the boiler so uou know you have all the gunk out.
Yes, that is what I will be doing. A complete strip down and rebuild. I've got the time to do it now as I'm not so desperate to have it working as I used to be now I have my La Pav to use.
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 05:21, GrowlingDog said:

Sorry for the newbie question , but any idea why they would implement this 'feature' ? Other than the waste of water, is there any issue with this architecture/concept itself. Thanks !

I have no idea why they have done this.   It makes no sense to me, I can’t see any reason for this change.

Thank you! I've been searching for hours for the answer about why my brand new Gaggia Classic Pro has just one of those water tubes...I had to return it for other reason but this one tube would have also been a reason to start asking questions with Gaggia as even the manual shows that there should be two of those. Have also been viewing about every single review video of the thing and all of them show two of the watertubes.

Now I'm quite a beginner and even after reading previous comments I don't really understand if this is a good thing or bad. In every review the Classic Pro is mentioned to be pretty much the best version of the machine.

It doesn’t make the machine any better or worse at making espresso - the only thing it does is dump water into the drip tray from the Over Pressure Valve (OPV), that would otherwise and previously have been returned to the water tank.

It means that otherwise good and usable fresh water is being wasted / dumped into the drip tray - rather than being put back into the tank for re-use - so you may get a fuller drip tray and empty water tank sooner, but that’s it.

It would probably cost less than £5 for sufficient silicone tubing to correct this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1