GrowlingDog

2019 Gaggia problem

I seem to have an issue with my new Gaggia.

Whilst brewing I have water coming out the dump pipe.

I'm sure it isn't meant to do this, the old one didn't.

Any ideas, is this a sort of feature to maintain a constant pressure or is it a problem. I think it's a problem as its wasting water.

Thanks

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

Expansion valve?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

I don't know, does the Gaggia have one?

My challenge at the moment is I don't know if this is normal 2019 behaviour or not. If it is I'm sending it back and will make determined efforts to fix my original one.

Have they routed the OPV to drain to the drip tray instead of back to the tank?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

This machine doesn't have expansion valve, 3way valve slight  issue.

• Thanks 1

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

The earlier 2015 model didn't have opv and suffer with constant leaks and pressure problems around group handle when locked into group. Looks like gaggia have 'designed' some sort of release valve into latest model? Not seen one so can't say for sure...
Do yourself a favour and get your money back. If they are even close in design to the 2015 model they are a heap of Shiite!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The 2019 Gaggia is supposed to be good, it’s nothing like the 2015 one, the internals having been reverted back to as they were in the original ones.

The reviews of them have been very positive, so I’m hoping this is just a one off glitch.

It looks as though it as a fault and I will be getting a replacement.   I’m reluctant to open it up and look inside as it’s only a week old.

Should be Ok then... Let us know how you get on?

Gaggia Classic 2019 has a small solenoid valve inside and plastic safety overpressure valve(12.5 bar from factory), very close to Gaggia Baby Class and similar models .

Attached valve that can be found in pre 2014 models is missing.

BR

index.jpg

GaggiaEnthusiast

The 2019 Gaggia is supposed to be good, it’s nothing like the 2015 one, the internals having been reverted back to as they were in the original ones.
The reviews of them have been very positive, so I’m hoping this is just a one off glitch.
It looks as though it as a fault and I will be getting a replacement.   I’m reluctant to open it up and look inside as it’s only a week old.
The 2015 Classic does have an OPV. It's plastic & located near the pump so easy to overlook. What it doesn't have is a 3 way solenoid & drain pipe to the driptray but those were thankfully brought back for the 2019 reboot.

2015-2019 share same plastic safety valve, you can "adjust" the brew pressure by cutting the spring inside.

GaggiaEnthusiast

2015-2019 share same plastic safety valve, you can "adjust" the brew pressure by cutting the spring inside.

Much better on the 2019 to just install a pre-2015 OPV to adjust (no need to remove the plastic one either). 

Yes would be a nice upgrade option.

GaggiaEnthusiast

3 way solenoid on the 2018+ is essentially the same as on the older versions - plumbed in the same way too - so if it's dripping like that then it's not sealing properly.

The OPV (integral to the top of the pump) feeds back to the tank in the usual way.

So - either remove the solenoid valve, strip it and give it a good clean, and see if that helps - or get a new machine if you can :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

It is going back to Gaggia. They are arranging to pick it up next week as they agree it's a problem.

Hopefully they send me a new one, but TV get might repair this one, I'm not sure yet.

At least I have my Europiccola to keep me in coffee.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 09:00, GrowlingDog said:

It is going back to Gaggia. They are arranging to pick it up next week as they agree it's a problem.

Hopefully they send me a new one, but TV get might repair this one, I'm not sure yet.

At least I have my Europiccola to keep me in coffee.

Thats a shame. I just got one of these sent over to Oz direct from Gaggia  - www.theespressoshop.co.uk/  under the proviso that I wont have a valid warranty, as its an overseas purchase. Luckily, mine is ok. I would have been fucked off if that was happening. Good to see they are sorting it for you. You will have yourself a great little machine. A PID kit wont hurt either. Pulling great shots every time. 

Thats a shame. I just got one of these sent over to Oz direct from Gaggia  - www.theespressoshop.co.uk/  under the proviso that I wont have a valid warranty, as its an overseas purchase. Luckily, mine is ok. I would have been fucked off if that was happening. Good to see they are sorting it for you. You will have yourself a great little machine. A PID kit wont hurt either. Pulling great shots every time. 
The plus side of having no warranty is you can mod it to your hearts content without voiding it!
  • Like 1

Just now, ashcroc said:
3 minutes ago, Pablo El Beano said:

The plus side of having no warranty is you can mod it to your hearts content without voiding it!

Yeah, i don't think theres much else i'd need to do to it though, other than a new shower screen maybe. In hindsight, for the price i paid to get it here, and add the PID I should have gone an extra few hundred and got the ECM Classika II, now i know I'm actually enjoying all this coffee lark.

I'm digging myself further into this hole the more time I spend with you lot though. In all honesty, I went on reddit 3 months ago to see what Nespresso machine was the best, and quickly got shamed in to purchasing all the nice shiny stuff associated with real espresso and pour overs.  My wife fucking hates you all. I keep justifying my spending on all your worldly knowledge. haha. 

• Like 2

Yeah, i don't think theres much else i'd need to do to it though, other than a new shower screen maybe. In hindsight, for the price i paid to get it here, and add the PID I should have gone an extra few hundred and got the ECM Classika II, now i know I'm actually enjoying all this coffee lark.
I'm digging myself further into this hole the more time I spend with you lot though. In all honesty, I went on reddit 3 months ago to see what Nespresso machine was the best, and quickly got shamed in to purchasing all the nice shiny stuff associated with real espresso and pour overs.  My wife fucking hates you all. I keep justifying my spending on all your worldly knowledge. haha. 
I know the feeling. My wife hates the forum too. I've had a Gaggia for years, but its dying a painful scaled up death. I've stripped the Solenoid valve off too many times in the last year to clear it.

I decided a new machine was necessary.

After about a week on here I ended up with a new Gaggia, a new grinder and a Europiccola.

80bc9f39f741fef1b887a73c8c9cba90.jpg
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

I know the feeling. My wife hates the forum too. I've had a Gaggia for years, but its dying a painful scaled up death. I've stripped the Solenoid valve off too many times in the last year to clear it.

I decided a new machine was necessary.

After about a week on here I ended up with a new Gaggia, a new grinder and a Europiccola.

80bc9f39f741fef1b887a73c8c9cba90.jpg

I've got a black NZ on its way now too. Couldn't resist. Have loved my Eureka Silenzio, but for switching between espresso and pour over its not the most practical, even with a single dosing workflow. Hopefully with the NZ, i'll save those vital few seconds a week that only spending a few extra hundred can solve! haha. Hope you get yours sorted asap. 

Edited by Pablo El Beano

A quick update.

My Gaggia has gone back and is being tested.

Today I got an update.    

"We can't find anything wrong with it, this is how they are designed to work if there is too much pressure.   The Solenoid valve is working correctly.   You either had the coffee ground too fine or had overtamped it."   

I'm not convinced.

They have tested it with their coffee and cannot reproduce the problem, so I think thy are sending it back to me, although they are doing more tests tomorrow.  

A quick update.

Today I got an update.    
"We can't find anything wrong with it, this is how they are designed to work if there is too much pressure.   The Solenoid valve is working correctly.   You either had the coffee ground too fine or had overtamped it."   
I'm not convinced.
They have tested it with their coffee and cannot reproduce the problem, so I think thy are sending it back to me, although they are doing more tests tomorrow.  

So the solinoid has been designed as an over pressure valve? What then does the over pressure valve do?

This I don't understand. I think I need to take my old one apart and refresh myself before I have another discussion.

I'm not really sure what the OPV does on the old one, that may seem a silly thing to say but I really dont understand how it works. Does the OPV let any excess water out back into the water tank if the pressure is too high while the pump is running. That's not something I experienced on the old one, the pump just got choked.

At present I'm not impressed with Gaggia. They have said looking at my video suggests there is a problem, however they can't reproduce it so I must have been doing something wrong.

This I don't understand. I think I need to take my old one apart and refresh myself before I have another discussion.

I'm not really sure what the OPV does on the old one, that may seem a silly thing to say but I really dont understand how it works. Does the OPV let any excess water out back into the water tank if the pressure is too high while the pump is running. That's not something I experienced on the old one, the pump just got choked.

At present I'm not impressed with Gaggia. They have said looking at my video suggests there is a problem, however they can't reproduce it so I must have been doing something wrong.
Yes exactly that. On the pre-2015 Classic, the OPV opens at a set pressure & returns water to the tank.
Perhaps@MrShades could confirm but I think the OPV on the 2019 version returns to just before the pump either to drain back to the tank or get pumped round again.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrowlingDog said:

A quick update.

Today I got an update.    

I'm not convinced.

If it was choking you would have very little if any coffee coming out... If it was over tamped you would have similar result. You have a steady flow of coffee filling your cups! Did they not see that in the video?

• Like 1