Dr Forinor

Prescription glasses - water repellent?

18 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Could be a glass of water and fast acting tablet ;)

giphy.gif

Ouch

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Posted (edited)

To add some perspective re contact lens .

It's foolhardy for a practice to push daily contact lens to all. The drop out rate is hideous and the amount of time and effort practitioners put in to getting a successful fit done, at no cost to the customer, means you want to provide a comfort based , long term, value for money solution , not just fit them with the most profitable lens. 

Not everyone can wear monthly or twice weekly contact lens , they do not have sufficient tear  production and or the lifestyle to suit them. Rigid  lens are a last resort as come with their own associated problems with long term wear. 

If a customer wants to wear lens all the time and is happy to take out and follow a heart care regime then for sure monthly lens are what we would recommend . We are seeing people choosing daily lens more as they simply want the convenience of changing lens every day and not taking pots and solutions with them.  

Lastly if you are buying lens I'd make sure that they are from someone who is subject to the General Optical Council guidelines of supply in  the UK there are alot of businesses out there that are registered off shore to avoid this and and  avoid any potential liability if they do not follow the guidelines which are there to protect the eyes of the consumer. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

At your age, investigate contact lenses if it's just long sight with a touch of astigmatism. Don't go for daily lenses, go for 2 weekly, monthly or even RGP. They will try and sell you daily lenses (because they max out their profits), but it's not the way to go if you're wearing them all the time. With the extended wear contacts, always take them out each night, even if they say you can leave them in.

Don't even think about laser surgery...regardless of anyone on here telling you how brilliant it is...complications are much more common than people realise and they come with other issues in the future.

Oh for cleaning silicon hydrogels or similar extended wear lenses, always use peroxide, less convenient, but pretty hugely reduces the chance of getting an infection.

Dont use peroxide unless someone has gone through this risks and how to use this solution, it can have drastic effects if improperly used. 

There are plenty of other solutions on the market now that are suitable without the danger of peroxide  and can be additive free. The amount of people that use Peroside in our practice is minimal and most infections simply come from not following the practitioners advice on health care regime and wear time.

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 hour ago, Dr Forinor said:

I hope you're brushing your teeth for at least 2 minutes at a time ;) :D 

Each one, yes!!

• Haha 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

Could be a glass of water and fast acting tablet ;)

giphy.gif

😡

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

1 hour ago, coffeechap said:

Ouch

Don’t worry, I’m not offended! Got all my own teeth AND HAIR 🙂

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, MildredM said:

Don’t worry, I’m not offended! Got all my own teeth AND HAIR 🙂

Yeh, I've not had my own hair for a while now...

Edit: I'm not using anyone else's hair either, just for clarification purposes.

Edited by Dr Forinor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

You should be able to get a free trial of lenses and if you really don't get on with them stick with your glasses.

An optometrist should give you advice about lenses to suit you. Sorry Dave one type is not the best for everyone.

My daughter fainted the first time she had lenses put in, she wears them quite happily now. 

Give them a go, you can always say they're not for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's true, I have been offered a free trial, it's just a matter of trying it out. 

One of these days I might give it a go. 

• Like 1

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

50 minutes ago, DDoe said:

An optometrist should give you advice about lenses to suit you. Sorry Dave one type is not the best for everyone.

I am well aware although they always push daily lenses, it's the biggest money maker for them.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Not all optometrists push, they advise accordingly.

Maybe you're going to the wrong opticians.

19 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I am well aware although they always push daily lenses, it's the biggest money maker for them.

Please don't make generalisations about all opticians in all practices, based on your experience. As far as I am aware you are not an optician and do not work in the optical profession. 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DDoe said:

Maybe you're going to the wrong opticians.

Perhaps, until very recently the experiences have not been great. In the last year I found one who is good, just hope he stays.

Maybe it's like dentists, hard to find a good one...and no I'm not a Dentist. All the capitation plans seem fantastic until your 45 - 50, then one often realises what's happening. Just like a mate of mine did. Luckily I was warned by someone who worked in the industry.

P.S. I did make soft contact lenses and custom blanks for rgps for a time at CLM in London back in the 80s

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I've needed glasses for reading etc. for at least ten years since my arms became to short for comfortable reading. I use half moons on a chain around my neck and now feel naked without them. I get the prescription from my optician and buy the glasses on-line. I have bought the expensive ones from the opticians in the past but they last no longer than the on-line ones. Learn to love your specs. 

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.