I have a a Cafflano and used for a few years on and off, but soon realised once I got a proper grinder at home, that the Cafflano cannot grind anywhere near fine enough for epsresso. I guess my query is how much do I need to spend to get a finer more reliable grind when in work and generally use a hario cup dripper or cafflanos compressor espresso maker you push by hand! 

Thanks

Lee. (R58 and Zenith 65e)

Aergrind is an intro point and highly portable. Direct from MBK it's about £110 or so (I think...). I've seen some up on here for around £70-90 though, second hand. After that, you have the feld2 which comes in at about £140-£150 direct from MBK. MBK's service is... questionable as well.

After that you get the Kinu M47 (47mm conical burrs, the MBK stuff has 37/38mm Italimill coated burrs I believe). The M68 is a big one that will reduce the leverage you need and crunch through lighter roasts much easier than the smaller burr hand grinders. Then you get into stuff like the Commandante C40 which is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Bunched in between the Kinu/Commandante is also the Lido 2/3/ET, which seems to be a common choice for people that I'd assume are in your situation.

I have a feld2, its good, capable and useable. Although I quickly realised that I didn't want to crank through 17g of coffee every time I wanted an espresso (3-4 times a day), especially if its a particularly light roast. I now have demoted it to coarser grinding for the V60/Aeropress at work.

The Aergrind has the same burrset as the Feld2 but has a removable handle to make it more travel-friendly, and can fit inside an aeropress.

There are some more "non-portable" ones, such as the hausgrind, or Helor 101, or Pharos 2.0 (be weary some that are advertised are actually Pharos 1.0's with an upgrade kit, so not a true 2.0).

Youtube link here by James Hoffman is quite good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Cooffe, I had seen some of these but still bewildered by how many and that.  Will take a good look. 

Edited by lee1980

Thanks

13 minutes ago, lee1980 said:

Thank you Cooffe, I had seen some of these but still bewildered by how many and that.  Will take a good look. 

No problem - James Hoffman is very well known around in the coffee industry so that video should be a good place to start looking. Do you have any idea on cost? That will naturally help you narrow down a bit more.

Meant to say around £100, but then the cafflano was around £60 so, I guess maybe to get the results will need to spend more.  I guess like most of us, I miss not having same coffee in work, where full time means Im in work more than home lol.  But does seem mad to spend more on coffee gear lol.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, lee1980 said:

Meant to say around £100, but then the cafflano was around £60 so, I guess maybe to get the results will need to spend more.  I guess like most of us, I miss not having same coffee in work, where full time means Im in work more than home lol.  But does seem mad to spend more on coffee gear lol.

Aergrind should see you at about the £100 mark. A Second hand Feld2 may well do it as well. Although the Commandante and such you'd be very, very lucky to find one @ £100.

Thanks yea or have to all out for kinu etc, they seem to have more a m47 traveller and phoenix now not sure what difference is!

Thanks

Pretty sure the Phoenix has the same burr set but cheaper build materials.

The traveller is smaller than the other two.

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

1 hour ago, Zephyp said:

If it is a point to grind fast, maybe a Lido.

Thanks Lido 3 is £180 another to consider if going to spend more!

Thanks

1 hour ago, igm45 said:

Pretty sure the Phoenix has the same burr set but cheaper build materials.

The traveller is smaller than the other two.

I see, only seems to be 20 euros in price difference to.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ladycoffeegeek said:

How about the Timemore Nano?  

The Comandante C40 is the daddy of them all for me because it grinds beans like powder!

But yeah, it is not cheap. 

Thanks looks good to hhmmm so many choices now lol! 

Thanks

I use a Feldgrind v1, it’s a great for work.

Not sure of the difference between that and the aergrind (apart from size) but it’s a good compromise on size, quality and price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Posted (edited)

My two cents: the Aergrind is excellent for espresso. Bought mine directly from a Knock, efficient & helpful service, no complaints at all. Rock solid & reliable grinder. Love it, and the fact that it is a compact travel-friendly-size makes it all the better. Keep in mind, if you go this route, the Aergrind has a smaller capacity, so maybe 25 grams beans at the most. (The Feldgrind can hold more beans, if that is a priority for you. It is my understanding they both will give same results, with same burrs.) The results in the cup are excellent, it’s fast (under a minute) & easy to grind the beans, nice feel in the hand, too. (I very rarely grind the light end of the roast spectrum.) Lots of flavour highlights come through with this unpretentious hand grinder.

There have been a few gently used Aergrinds on the market of late (with so many people getting the Niche and selling)... Good deals to be had.👍 (I’m not parting with mine! 😉)

I don’t think it has been mentioned yet that while Commandante is excellent, it is strongly advisable to add the “red clix” if you are getting it for espresso.

The Apollo hand grinder gets high praise as well from many users... it’s a little less money than the Kinu.

good luck with your search!

Edited by Slowpress

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, lee1980 said:

Thanks looks good to hhmmm so many choices now lol! 

I have not used other grinders only have the Feld2 it's fine for traveling and being at the kids house. Not sure what the Apollo is. But I would like to try the the Feld47

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

46 minutes ago, Jony said:

I have not used other grinders only have the Feld2 it's fine for traveling and being at the kids house. Not sure what the Apollo is. But I would like to try the the Feld47

I second the want to use the 47. I couldn't justify the £200 or so on it though for 10mm larger burrs.

I missed a couple of deals when they were cheap, missed a bargain.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

1 minute ago, Jony said:

I missed a couple of deals when they were cheap, missed a bargain.

Yeah. I was debating buying one of the pre-production grinders but decided against it ultimately. 

Shame on you,haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

1 minute ago, Jony said:

Shame on you,haha

Haha, are they really that good? If I'm honest, I've not been mega impressed with my feld2 for anything finer than V60/Aeropress. It seems a bit too inconsistent.

Mine was ok for Espresso i had to use it for 3 month, think I was down to 0.7 I can't remember.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Thanks all, the aergrind is £99 on made by knock site, now I asked I can't believe how many grinders are for sale!

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Jony said:

Mine was ok for Espresso i had to use it for 3 month, think I was down to 0.7 I can't remember.

Yeah I ran mine at like 1.9-1.11 for espresso. Not sure why it was so high. Although I was using it on a sage, so 54mm grouphead and thicker pucks. I'd guess if I ran it on a 58mm basket I'd have to grind significantly finer due to thickness decrease.

I got the Comandante and am very pleased that I did, it grinds really well, is very easy to adjust, easy to clean and is a joy to use.  If you were considering one then I bought my from Horsham Coffee and can report that the service was great, also got a free bag of beans worth £10 and enjoyed them too.