Jony

Mattress Help

Well I haven't got £800 for the one I want haha so Sub £300 in a Double please looked at the Dormeo memory foam or combination one from Dreams. Give us your views.

Cheers

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Love our memory foam..... some people complain about being too hot/sweaty but never been an issue....

As it is so heavy it can be a bit of a b*stard changing sheets but comfy as a very comfy thing.....

Ours is a very good/expensive make (Tempur) and would have cost the proverbial arm+leg but as we frequent auctions we picked it up for a bargain...

something ridiculous like £30.... plus another £25 for Ricky and his van to get it delivered (King size so no realistic way to get it even in a big car)....

I don't think we'd ever go "back" to a non-Memory foam.... 

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

When I moved out :) I left a Super King behind that was Memory foam and sprung.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Eve, Simba and Casper memory foam mattresses get very good reviews. I've tried Casper and Eve but found them too soft. Normal price is between £500-£600 but they often do deals and they often sell returned mattresses on eBay for a fraction of the price. 

The returned mattress's I presume they are used, that's like using a second hand baby wipe haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Simba was shockingly disappointing. Personally I don't even think they're worth half the asking price.

In all fairness the refurbed ones are fully decontaminated and have new outer covers, so if you're willing to sleep in a hotel, then I don't see any issue with the refurbs.

• Haha 1

LR, ZM

Very

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Simba was shockingly disappointing. Personally I don't even think they're worth half the asking price.

In all fairness the refurbed ones are fully decontaminated and have new outer covers, so if you're willing to sleep in a hotel, then I don't see any issue with the refurbs.

Very True haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I've got the 25cm Tempur (180x210) that is quite heavy and use the motor to fold the mattress so I can easily change the sheets. Got no clue where you can get anything similar for your budget. 

4 hours ago, Jony said:

The returned mattress's I presume they are used, that's like using a second hand baby wipe haha

As @Fez said they have new outer covers although I'm pretty sure they won't offer any guarantees or returns if you buy from eBay.

I didn't try Simba I first went with Casper as they had a really good deal Black Friday, didn't get on with it and then tried Eve in their January sales. The quality and service of both companies is excellent I just don't get on with memory foam. 

Amazon Prime day is about a week away. If you're lucky it may put something decent in your budget (never seen matresses on Prime day but never looked either). Memory foam matresses can come in different firmnesses especially if they have a sprung base.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

45 minutes ago, Nopapercup said:

As @Fez said they have new outer covers although I'm pretty sure they won't offer any guarantees or returns if you buy from eBay.

I didn't try Simba I first went with Casper as they had a really good deal Black Friday, didn't get on with it and then tried Eve in their January sales. The quality and service of both companies is excellent I just don't get on with memory foam. 

Yeah I don't think memory foam is for me either. We replaced the Simba with a normal pocket sprung(sub £500) and it's miles better. I felt too warm on memory foam

I guess it depends on your firmness requirement. For me personally I prefer extra firm.

• Like 1

LR, ZM

IKEA maybe?

I've bought many, many mattresses from the Swedes in my life. Never been unhappy. They offer a wide range of soft-to-hard components at very reasonable prices. 

I can heartily recommend these:

http://www.thememoryfoammattressfirm.co.uk/Memory-Foam-Mattresses/c31/index.html

We have a few of them on various sized beds around the house - I was previously tempted by a Tempur and looked long and hard at the exact specifications (size, type and weight of foam) of Tempur mattresses and found the PLATINUM version from this company to be indentical to the Tempur, at a very different price.   Whilst the platinum (and the one above it, the diamond, are outside of your price-range - some of the other lower models are within it... though I'd urge you to go for 80kg/m3 foam - so at least the Gold, which as a Double is £339)

Whenever we go on holiday or spend time away from home, we always look forward to getting back into our memory foam bed - they're great!

• Like 1

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

I cannot rate the Eve enough. Got a decent deal on a super king and havent looked back. I would buy another tomorrow. A mattress is a very personal thing though, take a girl to a local shop and try a few out mate ?

• Haha 1

Silent night 3 zone memory foam mattress - Which best buy since 2012

uses 3 different densities of foam in different areas

https://www.silentnight.co.uk/mattress-now-rolled-mattress-memory-3-zone.html

£199 why pay more - 

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

16 hours ago, Jony said:

Well I haven't got £800 for the one I want haha so Sub £300 in a Double please looked at the Dormeo memory foam or combination one from Dreams. Give us your views.

Cheers

It's super hard to give any advice except for this. You will spend far more time on it than any chair or sofa, why is it often much cheaper than either of those. Based on how much time you will spend on the mattress over the years, I would say 900+ is a small amount to pay for a good mattress..

We had a ViSpring bed for 20 years, before finally replacing it with one from the "hand made bed company" I think it is now called Millbrook Beds. Personally I think ViSpring had the edge on them, but so far and 8 years later the bed is still performing well.  We had a had a King size Vispring herald, not top of the range but it lasted 20 years no problem. A cheap mattress will last perhaps 5 or 6 years and cost £300. I'd rather sleep on something really good that lasts and is comfortable for 3 times as long and pay 3 times the price.

Sometimes it's actually costs the same in the long run to buy better...

Edited by DavecUK

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Along with Dave says, another thing I feel needs to be added is that the firmness of the mattress also makes a huge difference.

I'm not too clued up on foam mattresses, but if they come in different firmness ratings (like with spring mattresses) then you need to check what works best for you. I like a mattress that's close to rock hard as possible as I find it gives me the best support. I went through a period of having a sore lower back and I put it down to work. Trying to correct my posture at work etc I found no improvement. Then eventually I narrowed it down to the mattress. After changing it for a much firmer mattress it improved my back drastically.

Like Dave says you spend a lot of time sleeping, so you need to ensure it supports you properly.

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Portable -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

1 hour ago, Dr Forinor said:

Along with Dave says, another thing I feel needs to be added is that the firmness of the mattress also makes a huge difference.

I'm not too clued up on foam mattresses, but if they come in different firmness ratings (like with spring mattresses) then you need to check what works best for you. I like a mattress that's close to rock hard as possible as I find it gives me the best support. I went through a period of having a sore lower back and I put it down to work. Trying to correct my posture at work etc I found no improvement. Then eventually I narrowed it down to the mattress. After changing it for a much firmer mattress it improved my back drastically.

Like Dave says you spend a lot of time sleeping, so you need to ensure it supports you properly.

+1 :)

Sex on memory foam is not necessarily worse, but it is different.

You may be a bit more sweaty than usual afterwards. You can solve this memory foam problem by choosing one of the newer models that have a mattress cover or top layer that wicks away moisture.

Your mobility will be reduced a bit. Since memory foam sinks rather than pushes back, you might not be able to roll around as energetically as you are accustomed to. But you can also try almost anything without worrying about a limb falling asleep due to pressure points.

There's no 'rebound' to help you acquire a rhythm and speed but...since the partner on the bottom is going to be gripped or cupped by the mattress, you'll use less energy and concentration in maintaining your 'aim'. Now you only need to tie them down if you both enjoy it.

You won't have to worry about squeaking springs waking kids or neighbors.

Only you and your partner can determine whether you like sex on memory foam. Make sure you get a good return policy, because this is one thing the Maniac does not recommend testing at the mattress store.

Source: https://www.memory-foam-maniac.com/memory-foam-mattress-problems.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Planter said:

I cannot rate the Eve enough. Got a decent deal on a super king and havent looked back. I would buy another tomorrow. A mattress is a very personal thing though, take a girl to a local shop and try a few out mate ?

Got someone in mine have you.haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

4 hours ago, jimbojohn55 said:

Silent night 3 zone memory foam mattress - Which best buy since 2012

uses 3 different densities of foam in different areas

https://www.silentnight.co.uk/mattress-now-rolled-mattress-memory-3-zone.html

£199 why pay more - 

Was looking at the 7 version I think it was

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

12 minutes ago, Jony said:

Got someone in mine have you.haha

We arent married yet mate and she can make a good coffee. ?

• Haha 1

Happy with my Silentnight 3 zone memory foam mattress.

• Like 1

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

Which gave the top rating to the 3 zone over the 7 zone silent night - only had the three zone  so I cant compare but it seems to be spot on even after 3yrs

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

Was in the market for one last year, absolute minefield imo.

You have a choice of doing the rounds of the retailers, and sprawling yourself awkwardly over showroom mattresses trying to make a immediate judgement on endless models. Or buying blind from the 'bed in a box' (Emma, Eve, Simba,  Leesa, or many of the other similarly named firms that can be seen advertised on the tube), based on reviews or recommendations (though some do have mattresses in stores to try, ie, John Lewis stock Simba). While I'm personally a big fan of memory foam, for me the jury is out on whether these guys are the future or box shifters with good web design and marketing budget.  These permanently seem to be on sale, make of that what you will...

I found the articles on https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/ quite eye opening. Might be worth a look at their range,  they have clearance section too.

In the end we ended up with a pocket sprung model from Bensons, and managed to haggle a small discount. 

Edited by 2cups

ohh great slightly spammy. 32 mins in and you reply to mattress a little weird

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE