Pablo El Beano

Single Dosing & Storage - What are you using?

Posted (edited)

I'm wanting to get a storage solution happening so single dosing for both espresso and pour over is easier and all ready to go in the early hours, and for all the other obvious reasons. The wanker in me wants something thats gonna look nice on my coffee bar, and serve its need, and be of good value. Would love the Lyn Weber Bean Cellar:

BN-G-WALL_TOP-5.thumb.jpg.ac6d2ad5556b9daaa62cebc4e7416adb.jpg

...but at $550 delivered to me in Oz, i cant justify that at this stage. Yeah, I know they've got a valve and are made for purpose and they are probably the best looking solution, but, $550. No. Have seen the plastic ones too (they use them in a few of my local cafes), but they are still not singing to me. 

Also looking at the cheapo Test Tube and cork set up from Ebay:

1662115251_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.04841543c54f21c497bb6ae14f2e38d3.jpg

$45 delivered for 24. These are the 60ml, 120mm x 30mm. Can get a rack made or buy a laboratory type one. I think Ive read, you can barely get 18-19g in these. Maybe not the best idea for a 25g Pour over dose? Anyone using these? How are they holding up?

Then theres these things i found on Ali Express:

O1CN0108CCDy1WGa3UXGCwd_!!2936462761.thumb.jpg.e97c5c2b86efc16a1933d227ae6fc53b.jpg

Nice looking rack! (haha), wooden bungs and plenty of room for the larger Pour over doses. Might not be the best for beans at their gassiest stage though?

Saw these nice little jars too:

885679943_ScreenShot2019-07-05at6_41_40pm.png.7c750a29f284f5eed49265fe51e40f9b.png

I also saw someone on here using these ointment jars:

51J4koL0KLL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.7d42e150ace092cce58b5da87f64edfd.jpg

Practical, but not the nicest looking solution I don't think. 

Ultimately though, I guess its whats best for the beans, cost, then aesthetics. (for me at least), so what are you using, and what would be the good, bad and ugly about these cheaper solutions I've mentioned here. Be interesting to hear your thoughts. 

Cheers, Pablo. 

Edited by Pablo El Beano
  • Like 1

you've found them all!
Well, most of them... LWW also have plastic ones: https://lynweber.com/accessories/bean-cellars-commercial/
I'm testing these now. Pretty successful for the time being, and you can drop them from a shelf onto worktop and floor...

• Like 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

8 minutes ago, Hasi said:

you've found them all!
Well, most of them... LWW also have plastic ones: https://lynweber.com/accessories/bean-cellars-commercial/
I'm testing these now. Pretty successful for the time being, and you can drop them from a shelf onto worktop and floor...

noted the plastic ones. Yeah, butter fingers here is looking forward to sweeping up bits of glass. Its inevitable. What were you using before? any of the cheapo options?

I bought glass screw top, cork tops, and some other inexpensive jars. In the end I went for the LW ones in glass (they weren’t quite as expensive to the UK back then) and I love using them/ looking at them every day! The plastic ones look great too. Craig Lyn were cheaper than LW but they seem to be out of stock again. 

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

noted the plastic ones. Yeah, butter fingers here is looking forward to sweeping up bits of glass. Its inevitable. What were you using before? any of the cheapo options?
nah haven't been into single dosing forever and started out by just measuring for each shot.
Now we've got 6 of them commercial ones, different beans loaded and ready to rumble, anytime.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

I’m genuinely interested in a similar solution if anyone else has anything to contribute? 

nope I don't think so.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

On 05/07/2019 at 10:01, Hasi said:

you've found them all!

I am really interested in seeing your setup. You have literally everything haha (including a very nice classic car...)

• Like 1

I am really interested in seeing your setup. You have literally everything haha (including a very nice classic car...)
ha!
no, it's not like that... just happen to work with some of that stuff, so we deffo need a thing or two. Also a long-term investment in a growing business, aka. write-offs

Setup at roastery is a somewhat unequal pairing. But as the saying goes, always upgrade your grinder first:

5e63d430e2a9c16d44158259a1be7e3f.jpg
  • Like 3

says Hasi.

47 minutes ago, Hasi said:

ha!
no, it's not like that... just happen to work with some of that stuff, so we deffo need a thing or two. Also a long-term investment in a growing business, aka. write-offs emoji56.pngemoji23.png

Setup at roastery is a somewhat unequal pairing. But as the saying goes, always upgrade your grinder first:

5e63d430e2a9c16d44158259a1be7e3f.jpg

Lmao... What mazzer is that? Looks EK43-esque. What's the at-home setup?

Mazzer ZM

at home it is Rocket Evo II and Macap MXP
  • Like 2

says Hasi.

2 hours ago, Cooffe said:

It’s a mazzer that is built how all mazzers should be built, possibly all grinders!

• Like 3

AKA Toffee chips

What about a spice rack or are the containers not airtight?

Sage DTP | Santos #4

15 minutes ago, coffeechap said:

It’s a mazzer that is built how all mazzers should be built, possibly all grinders!

Looks like a proper bit of kit. Might have to start saving my pennies and get in the mrs.' good books...

40 minutes ago, Hasi said:

Mazzer ZM emoji41.pngemoji1303.png

at home it is Rocket Evo II and Macap MXP

Cheers. The at-home set up will barely tide you over then I expect? (yes this is sarcastic)

What about a spice rack or are the containers not airtight?

oh spice rack rings a bell...

Think it depends on how the sealing is achieved (plugs vs screw caps) but could do equally well to any other generic container. And it is a rack already!

Cheers. The at-home set up will barely tide you over then I expect? (yes this is sarcastic)
oh well, it works fine I'd say! MXP is so much of an upgrade to the Mazzer Mini E we started with!
But no single dosing, as the added faff doesn't suit our morning routine.

Maybe one sunny day when the kids habe moved out I could see myself teaching the woman how to use a lever machine and then going nuts... :whistle:

says Hasi.

On 12/07/2019 at 05:03, puffin1 said:

I’m genuinely interested in a similar solution if anyone else has anything to contribute? 

Not much more from the anyone on here, it seems.

Just found these from https://kansocoffee.com/products/bean-storage-tubes. Cheaper than the Lyn Webers (half the price with delivery to Australia actually). Easy on the eye, have a one way valve in the lid, and nice weighty marble base. And will perfectly match a certain little wooden footed grinder i have winging its way over from the Uk. Gonna get me some. 

204904248_ScreenShot2019-07-13at6_54_29pm.png.4ec2e797c4d1d263cf0e4760122e6f6e.png

Edited by Pablo El Beano
  • Like 2