XiRho

Advice on equipment from scratch

Afternoon folks,

I have finally decided to make some progress and purchase some equipment to make myself some decent coffee. This will be a step forward from a Nespresso capsule machine for me. I require everything from scratch, want to make espresso and espresso based milk drinks, and want to spend under £400 if possible. From doing my own research I am fairly decided on a Sage Duo Temp Pro, as long as the experts agree - which I can get for ~£250. I also need a grinder and have no idea about these really - they seem much more important than I first realised so could do with some advice on one. I much prefer to buy new if possible - but would consider 2nd hand although not being based in mainland UK and also not wanting to have to wait for an extended period of time for the right thing to pop up, this might make it more difficult.

Many thanks in advance!

At that sort of budget & with a dtp decided on, you're looking at something like a sage smart grinder pro if buying new. Amazon usually have discounts on Sage productson their Prime day which is coming up.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I know he'd like new, but there is a Mignon (nearly put Minion!) for sale on here for a good price which the seller was willing to post i think

• Like 1

Sage DTP | Santos #4

I think @picalilli had a similar budget and ended up buying the sage DTP recently, with a Eureka Mignon Specialta. Might be worth asking him how it’s going on!

3 hours ago, ashcroc said:

At that sort of budget & with a dtp decided on, you're looking at something like a sage smart grinder pro if buying new. Amazon usually have discounts on Sage productson their Prime day which is coming up.

Wouldnt a barista express result in a similar cup of coffee?

If so I think @Rhyshas one for sale for £250

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

If so I think [mention=8639]Rhys[/mention]has one for sale for £250
Yes but it would mean both machine & grinder would need replacing at the same time if one bit breaks or upgaditis strikes.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Posted (edited)

Well technically no? If the OP wants to upgrade the grinder down the line, he can and still use the Barista express for espresso. From a cost point of view it makes sense to me. Leaves plenty of room in the budget for some pitchers, tamper, knockbox, scales, etc. @XiRho unless you've budgeted for those things seperately to your £400 mentioned you'll be much better off with secondhand machine and grinder.

I would stick to buying off a member from here though, at least there's a much better chance it was well looked after 

Edited by Fez
  • Like 1

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

18 hours ago, ashcroc said:
18 hours ago, Fez said:
If so I think [mention=8639]Rhys[/mention]has one for sale for £250

Yes but it would mean both machine & grinder would need replacing at the same time if one bit breaks or upgaditis strikes.

Not necessarily. I was using the BE along with the Niche tbh as I was swapping beans. I kept the BE grinder full of med/dark roast espresso for when herself wanted to make a coffee (she likes the darker roasts I think).

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I will have a look through the for sales and see what is about and check about postage 😊

I did end up going for the dtp with eureka mignon. I had a similar budget in mind (£400 ish) but was glad I decided to push the boat out a little bit more in the end on the mignon. It’s a really great grinder and looks great too. Has a quality, heavy feel to it that gives me the impression it will last for many years. Really quiet too, which is great for us. 

Really glad I decided on the dtp in the end. I looked at the barista express initially, but it’s essentially just a dtp with a built in grinder. Saying that, I would really like a pressure gauge as I’m new to all of this too and there’s a hell of a lot more variables than I’d thought possible!