GrowlingDog

Two new coffee machines in one day

My old faithful Gaggia Classic had got far too scaled up.  A lesson learned, use bottled water.

It was time for a new coffee machine, but what to get.   After much dilemma about whether a lever machine would be suitable or not, especially when I had guests, I decided against it.

My wife decided for me that getting a new Gaggia would be a good idea as I had always been happy with my old one, until it died after lots of use.  It seemed a good plan a slightly better machine was going to be lots more money, and lots bigger.

The lever urge remained and a quick glance on ebay identified a pre millenium La Pav europiccola in my budget that would satisfy my needs.  

They both arrived today :)

I have a few things to get, a 49mm tamper, some bottled water, a decent set of scales.    I also think I will need to get myself a new grinder as I think the La Pav is going to show the weaknesses of my Iberital MC2.      I may possibly get a decent hand grinder for the Pav if such a thing exists,  reserach to be done.

Anyway, here they are for now.

Newcoffee.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

Nice set up. The La Pavoni looks in great condition. Have you managed to pull any shots with it yet? I'm intrigued to know how a lever machine compares.  

Fracino Cherub/Mazzer Super Jolly 

I have pulled one shot so far.   It was at least coffee, even if only a small amount.

Areas for improvement.

I don't have a tamper that fits, so had to use the back of a spoon, which was wholly unsuccesful. New tamper ordered
The basket is a single dose, which only took 8g of coffee, clearly not enough for me.  New basket ordered
I have also ordered a naked portafilter as this will help me see exactly what is going on.
It could do with a really good strip down and clean.   It's not bad, but I don't think it has really been used or maintained it's whole life.

It will take me a while to learn how to use it, but I'm looking forward to lots of experimenting.

I don’t seem to be able to walk past La Pav without giving it a little polish with a soft cloth.    I’ve become obsessed with Shinyness.

B9812D47-BA59-4C26-B28B-293F80DD1558.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Make sure you use microfibre ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, thanks.  I hadn’t given that a thought.   I was just using a Tea Towel.      Microfibre cloths ordered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrowlingDog said:

Yes, thanks.  I hadn’t given that a thought.   I was just using a Tea Towel.      Microfibre cloths ordered.

Be careful not to use anything abrasive, kept clean and serviced it will outlast you

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

It’s all taking shape.   The Niche should be here in a day or two, then I think I’m done for a while.

05FAEB70-4DD2-4D3B-A7DB-E4991FB0040D.jpeg

I think I'm done for now. No more coffee shopping for a while.
198e7be3f0dbd463fa5f27cbdd3cb3f3.jpg

• Like 1

I think I've finally got using La Pav mastered.

16g Rave Chatswood Blend, ground at No.18 in Niche.

20 second pull.

36g espresso produced.

Perfect..

80ae028e3e58f7d259d9f680acccf7cc.jpg

• Like 2

A productive day has been had.

My old Gaggia has been completely stripped down, descaled, rebuilt, heated up to dry out the boiler so I could reconnect the earth, fully cleaned and it's back.

Nice to have it back in the kitchen.054d8b38f30e4fc588affa64264eb96b.jpg

• Like 1

Great little setup you have there 😎

Envy your kitchen top real estate, I’m relegated to the utility with the washing machine  😫

Can I buy your old Classic please!

Can I buy your old Classic please!

Unfortunately not.

My new Gaggia got returned as it had a couple of design changes I couldn't live with. My old Gaggia is now refurbished and back in regular use.
  • Like 1