SootySport

Hi there everyone

Newbie here,  name is Bernie, the male kind.

Have a  Gaggia Brera simpleton machine purely for ease of use and I love it. Bought it 2 years ago from the Gaggia shop in Braintree and pleased I did as it was cheaper than any on line supplier, also given some freebies with it  and shown how to use it properly. 

Up to now my beans come from Holland, my cousin brings a selection of beans 3 or 4 times a year, current favourite is Tchibo 100% arabica but will be scouring the forum for other brands to try.

61AA36F7-659B-41C6-80AE-47DD909FA18A.jpeg

• Like 1

I can't believe Gaggia called their machine a Gaggia Brera Simpleton , but perhaps lost in translation. Interesting photo, the date code on the bottom of the bag hopefully states the coffee is good until 15/01/2020. This usually means it was roasted on 15/1/2019. If I assume this is a recent photo, then I believe you will get a huge benefit from the forum by recommendations of online roasters who actually put a "roast date" on the bag and then you can choose to drink coffee 1-6 weeks old and experience the true taste of fresh coffee. What's in that bag lost any shred of dignity and taste a long time ago.

The other thing you will quickly learn is that coffee is a bit like wine, buy cheap and you get really cheap greenbeans roasted to make the coffee. To give an example, green beans costing £2.35 per kg will produce 1kg roasted coffee at a cost of around £2.82 (because of weight losses). You can often be charged 5 times more because the market can bear that markup. The no idea what they are beans in that bag probably cost even less than my cheap bean example.

Beans costing £7 per Kg won't handle a 5 times markup because it makes the coffee too expensive, so might get marked up 3 or 3.5 times. This means you get a green bean costing almost 300% times more with it's far better quality, but only pay 60% more for the end product. This means pay more for your coffee, you get a lot more.

Welcome to the forum

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Hi Bernie, 

Welcome to the forum - as Dave said you'll hopefully find a great difference with fresh roasted beans. Do you grind the beans yourself? That's often the other big win. 

Hope you enjoy the forum and a hopefully interesting extra journey into coffee 🙂

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Ha ha, I was referring to myself as a simpleton when it comes to making the coffee.  Certainly going to try some beans mentioned on this forum, it’s why I joined.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jlarkin said:

Hi Bernie, 

Welcome to the forum - as Dave said you'll hopefully find a great difference with fresh roasted beans. Do you grind the beans yourself? That's often the other big win. 

Hope you enjoy the forum and a hopefully interesting extra journey into coffee 🙂

The machine grinds the beans.  May try a hand grinder, read on-

The one person who started my like for coffee was my German Grandad when I was young, only about 5 or 6 years old (never had a taste for sweet drinks even then)  I’m sure you are aware that in Germany, tea is not the first choice of beverage. I used to wake up every morning to the aroma of coffee and cigar smoke drifting into my bedroom, it was grandad hand grinding the beans for the breakfast brew whilst puffing on large cigars. He refused to use an electric grinder saying it will burn the coffee, maybe he’s right. I’m sure some cigar ash dropped off occasionally into the grinder draw when he opened it. This process was almost a religious act for him 7 days a week and was accompanied by the traditional German breakfast of fresh crusty rolls, cheeses and cured hams.  I sometimes try to re create the breakfast scenario, sans cigars but of course it’s just not possible thesedays in the UK.

• Like 2