Is it just my perception or are there many fewer post's and far fewer member viewers on the forum now ?

• Like 2

Frank, exactly my thoughts. I was going to post exact that this morning, but thought it was just me.

Much fewer posts and traffic not from the usual members. The only event which I can correlate this with is the recent forum software upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I expect I’m letting the side down not posting my usual 30+ posts per day!!!

I blame Tapatalk to a degree. People see coffee and join without taking time to read what the forum is about so then we end up with loads of irritating first posts which then annoy us, and this in turn changes the nature of the forum.

That and other things, anyway...

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

You could say quality rather than quantity is a far better maxim :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I do not think you are / have let the side down Mildred, we cannot / do not expect you and Snakey as entertainment section to keep the whole forum going.:classic_biggrin:.

Neither do I think it is down to Tapat-T.  Many members appear to have voted with their keyboards and left or just view occaisionly..

I do not know what the move from the previous forum was for , financial / more commercial input but I think it seriously back fired.

I for one find the new format confusing , unhelpful .  As Dave c UK says  if it aint broke don't fix it.

Perhaps I am just another grumpy old git:whistle::classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I do not think you are / have let the side down Mildred, we cannot / do not expect you and Snakey as entertainment section to keep the whole forum going.:classic_biggrin:.
Neither do I think it is down to Tapat-T.  Many members appear to have voted with their keyboards and left or just view occaisionly..
I do not know what the move from the previous forum was for , financial / more commercial input but I think it seriously back fired.
I for one find the new format confusing , unhelpful .  As Dave c UK says  if it aint broke don't fix it.
Perhaps I am just another grumpy old git:whistle::classic_biggrin:
I suspect the change (& how it was implemented) may have had something to do with the crash that happend not long before.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Changes happens, @Glenn will have had his own reasons for bringing in fresh investment , faces, expertise  and taking more of a back seat and those reasons should be respected. 

The donations and sponsorship I suspect are not enough to reward the effort put into the forum, for whoever owns it, they will want to drive some value for the work entailed. 

It's summer , people are on holiday and I suspect traffic always drops a but during these time. Yes I can think of one member how announced they will leave, some just drift away through boredom ( software or not ) some will have been put off by chase, some will have joined looking for help and advice . The members I used to look for when posting 3-4 years ago , drifted away way before the software change. 

The forum isnt going back to the way it looked or it being owned by Glenn , so it's up people if they wanna hang around or not I guess. 

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I had noticed quality traffic dropping long before the software changes. The software apart from forum thread ignore lists and some issues with searches (which were not great before), is pretty much back to where it was. I use the white on black as it's easier for me to read, new posts work well so I can drop on and quickly see everything that's new. Photos are easier to link and insert (plus the upload size is larger) and with youtube videos you simply paste in the link etc..

If I had forum and thread ignore lists I could get rid of new posts in subjects I have no interest in e.g. barbeques, pizza ovens etc....this would make it easier. The forum also has far far too many areas and a new joiner simple isn't going to navigate those areas to read what they need to. New joiners will come on, mumble about having a look round, ask a question that has been asked 100s of times, provide feck all information and expect an answer.

With urgency Tait needs to

• Simplify the forum structure and properly organise things (not a small job), implement mild forum auto pruning in certain areas only (stop those posts coming back from the dead)
  • New member housekeeping e.g.the functions to limit posting links until  5 posts (spam), getting rid of the 10 post limit to access for sale/wanted areas, mandatory location input
  • get "ignore thread/forum" function working

Then there is the stuff we all need to do and that is talk about coffee. Often discussions are around look what kit I have, look what beans I have, look what accessory I purchased. We need more posts like this:

Posts like the one below looked like it might go somewhere, but hasn't. There is information on the coffee, but not on the how by any poster. It would have been great if the first poster said I used this much coffee, this much water this much time etc... and got these tastes. This would have been a quality post allowing others to try it and explain there methods if they have the same coffee. As it is it's another "great coffee from whatever" thread. Not useful to a newbie, or an oldie.

I have in the past tried to start discussion posts in certain aspects of coffee, try to encourage experimentation, more questioning, but it tends to die and things go back to the easy posts of look at this, have you seen this, your kit looks great. Someone earlier mentioned quality content and coffee related quality content is something we need more of. I try to encourage people to post photos and videos (well links), because these bring a drab wall of text to life, add interest and are more likely to be watched/seen by new members.

Oh just to support my forum simplification recommendation..this is our top level browsing view. Is one grinder so different to another in its usage etc.., are all these areas, let alone the sub areas necessary.

1329089009_toplevelforumview.thumb.JPG.368fd1962c5001c760ee52309bd89631.JPG

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Forums come & go all for their own various reasons.

In 'Coffee' in the UK we've had 'alt.coffee(UK section)' - 'Too much coffee' - 'Coffeetime' & then there was 'CFUK'.  Mostly finished in disarray.

The Forum that seems to go on forever & I find interesting is 'Coffee Snobs' from Australia. 

We're never going back to what it was on here so you either like or depart.  Each of us makes their own decision on this.  Will the Forum still exist in two years time?  Who knows!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ron 

Posted (edited)

Threads like you mention Dave die a death even when they have some info on them. 

It's the circle of the forum, people want to buy stuff, talk about said stuff, buy it, show it off, perhaps lust after more stuff , then at some point , run out of gear to buy or money to buy it with, they are left with making coffee at that isnt as interesting ....

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Isn't this what they call "churn", where people drop out and new members come in.

Unfortunately for the existing membership the same old questions keep popping up which in itself is enough to let the old timers think enough is enough. 

• Sad 1

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

1 hour ago, Eyedee said:

Isn't this what they call "churn", where people drop out and new members come in.

Unfortunately for the existing membership the same old questions keep popping up which in itself is enough to let the old timers think enough is enough. 

which is closely related to how information is organised.

Especially for newbies, there could be more how-to/informative sticky topics that are kept up to date and closed for discussion. But it needs someone with terrific dedication to maintain such archives.

As for quality posts, may I emphasise coffee and blabber go together like a horse and carriage? ...sociohistorically speaking?
I think it is very hard for many on here to focus on plain tech talk, therefore it would either need this terrifically dedicated someone to extract information and condense into closed summaries or have very alert mods who induce warning shots, post deletions, temporary forum bans or whatever it takes to make folk stay on topic.

• Like 2

I expect I’m letting the side down not posting my usual 30+ posts per day!!!

I blame Tapatalk to a degree. People see coffee and join without taking time to read what the forum is about so then we end up with loads of irritating first posts which then annoy us, and this in turn changes the nature of the forum.

That and other things, anyway...

This is where the 'IGNORE' button that both myself & DavecUK keep harping on about would be so so useful.@Tait is this going to be implemented anytime soon? Pretty please...
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

TT screenshot below...:this old timer has definitely had enough

b1b7aca7c1f2715b63357d8f1d6ed9f4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is where the 'IGNORE' button that both myself & DavecUK keep harping on about would be so so useful.[mention=16868]Tait[/mention] is this going to be implemented anytime soon? Pretty please...

@Tait can you look into instating the Ignore Button before I annoy anyone more than I already have done with my off topic, new purchases, or non coffee related posts, please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It’s OK Milly - they already ignore you!!!

😜

• Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

true, no reaction from the officials yet...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Drewster said:

😜

Such a shame that the PP is being ignored!

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

This is the first thread Ive read through for quite some time.

Maybe I read with interest back in the day as I was keen to learn.  Now, rightly or wrongly, I dismiss a lot of the threads.  That's not to say that I know everything.  Probably more that I know what I want to know.

I'm not a fan of the new software - old dogs and new tricks but I don't think that this is to blame for my lack of activity.  The forum has evolved from what it was - as will happen.  

• Like 4

a grinder a lever and some beans

I am a bit of a Luddite and have only just worked out how to easily browse new posts on the new tappatalk... I am now back to monitoring more as it is easier to do... I tend to focus on my favourite areas, water, brew methods and obsessional questions about espresso technique but also monitor the stuff people are posting...

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

I've only been a member since January, so people may disregard what I say, but when I joined, it was like any forum that's existed for years, people with something to say, people with nothing to say (who are the loudest) people looking for basic advice, usually dealt with sarcastically, people looking for  what the poobahs think is good advice, dealt with politely and in a friendly manner. I luckily, most of the time, fell into the latter category, so got some ace advice, outgrew my then current machine, and bought a machine to take me to the end of days.So now I'm not looking at the advice threads, I'm only looking at the beans threads, and finding ways to tweak things.

One huge elephant  in the room (sorry Dave) is the member who chucked his toys out of the pram and left, and now seems desperate to be invited back in. Well, I know he has history here, but to new members, he comes across as a misogynistic bully, and the forum is better without him, opinions are spouted freely, facts less so. This place claims to be one of the friendliest places on the web, IT ISN'T!!!!!!

I miss the elephant in the room. Part of the fun of the forum was whether or not you would be bitten by the hound

This place has lost its soul I’d say

• Like 3

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

I don't.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I’ve not been so active on here as much as I used to. But it’s been over the last 12 months due to increase work / home commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Opinions divided on that one it seems. Blood splattered pages where things got out of hand, but we keep reading out of morbid curiosity. Some even dare to enter the fray.

There does seem to be a nucleus of contributors without whom the forum would fall apart.

Well done and respect to those who stuck around. 

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________