islandlad

Conical grinder, good at single dosing, £500ish?

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before. Feel free to redirect me to an existing post if need be.

As per title, I'm after a conical grinder which is handy at single dosing. Niche Zero is the obvious choice - hence £500ish, which also happens to be my budget. 

I'd like to know whether any other grinders fit the brief as 1) I'd like to know what my options are 2) not at all a fan of the Niche's aesthetics (though that's a secondary consideration).

Thanks!

For your budget, brand new, there is nothing else. 

• Like 1

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

As above with zero retention , conical , single dosing, it's what the Niche is made for, other option may be something like the Pharos hand grinder , which is a different workflow entirely and perhaps one of the Kinu grinders , again hand grinders the table top one will be more than your budget.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Or maybe if you can stretch the budget a bit there was a HG1 for sale not so long ago. Not sure if it sold or not

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

Or maybe if you can stretch the budget a bit there was a HG1 for sale not so long ago. Not sure if it sold or not
It sold.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

As I'm only interested in electric grinders, everyone seems to be of the same opinion (Niche). Thanks all!

As I'm only interested in electric grinders, everyone seems to be of the same opinion (Niche). Thanks all!
ha!
Just accept its looks for the time being...
tbh, I really like it - visually, ergonomically as well as functionally. It is a great product in the end of the day and you're not gonna regrer buying it if you're into conicals and single dosing. Nuff said

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

4 minutes ago, islandlad said:

There's one in the for sale section for £420

• Like 1

Just now, Hasi said:

ha!
Just accept its looks for the time being... emoji23.png
tbh, I really like it - visually, ergonomically as well as functionally. It is a great product in the end of the day and you're not gonna regrer buying it if you're into conicals and single dosing. Nuff said emoji6.png

I found I like it a whole lot more in person than in the pictures, OP may too. 

• Like 1

I found I like it a whole lot more in person than in the pictures, OP may too. 
it's funny how buying decisions have changed over the last couple decades.
I'm an industrial designer having studied our profession's history quite a bit. Where build quality and brand reputation for longevity had been for the longest time, consumers have shifted to rely primarily on brand recognition and aesthetics.

+1 for giving the Niche a chance!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

12 hours ago, islandlad said:

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before. Feel free to redirect me to an existing post if need be.

As per title, I'm after a conical grinder which is handy at single dosing. Niche Zero is the obvious choice - hence £500ish, which also happens to be my budget. 

I'd like to know whether any other grinders fit the brief as 1) I'd like to know what my options are 2) not at all a fan of the Niche's aesthetics (though that's a secondary consideration).

Thanks!

Re aesthetics: I suspect the “soft white” casing beats the “shiny black” casing for aesthetics... I have the black one, as it was the practical colour choice in my case... but from the pictures, the white seems a notch above & less of a shiny plastic-look in appearance. (No, it is *not* plastic.) Casing colour aside, I’m so darned pleased with this grinder, the looks really are immaterial!☺️ It’s a terrific grinder, and a delight to use.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Slowpress said:

Re aesthetics: I suspect the “soft white” casing beats the “shiny black” casing for aesthetics... I have the black one, as it was the practical colour choice in my case... but from the pictures, the white seems a notch above & less of a shiny plastic-look in appearance. (No, it is *not* plastic.) Casing colour aside, I’m so darned pleased with this grinder, the looks really are immaterial!☺️ It’s a terrific grinder, and a delight to use.

Yep, definitely and regrettably looks plastic-y. Still, it's a distant secondary consideration compared to function. Wish they made a chrome version though 😔. Not sure I'd want to risk stripping powder coating off a brand new machine either.  

Yep, definitely and regrettably looks plastic-y. Still, it's a distant secondary consideration compared to function. Wish they made a chrome version though . Not sure I'd want to risk stripping powder coating off a brand new machine either.  
have it wrapped in a chrome foil then

says Hasi.

Might get mine Hydro Dipped

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

10 minutes ago, Hasi said:

have it wrapped in a chrome foil then emoji56.png

Hahaha. I'll pass.

36 minutes ago, islandlad said:

Yep, definitely and regrettably looks plastic-y. Still, it's a distant secondary consideration compared to function. Wish they made a chrome version though 😔. Not sure I'd want to risk stripping powder coating off a brand new machine either.  

They had some with a different finish which were limited edition and they weren't going to sell. I can't remember what the process was, but they looked awesome. You could always ask Niche about it - in case you have a hankering to jazz it up in future. They're very approachable. Personally I really like it's look but also it's such a good grinder that I'd have it either way. 

• Like 2

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

2 minutes ago, jlarkin said:

They had some with a different finish which were limited edition and they weren't going to sell. I can't remember what the process was, but they looked awesome. You could always ask Niche about it - in case you have a hankering to jazz it up in future. They're very approachable. Personally I really like it's look but also it's such a good grinder that I'd have it either way. 

Cheers, good to know. Might ping them an email then.

• Like 2

Now I think about it, I'm missing a trick not getting some nice Cupper Joe logos on my white grinders...

• Like 1

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Hahaha. I'll pass.
not tin foil mate, proper stuff:

article-2347388-1A7BC105000005DC-513_634x407.jpg
  • Like 1

says Hasi.

3 hours ago, Hasi said:

not tin foil mate, proper stuff:

article-2347388-1A7BC105000005DC-513_634x407.jpg

I’d need powerful sunglasses to face such a shiny vision at dawn!😎🤣

The less that makes you look at the fugly duckling the better

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Posted (edited)

..oops

image.png

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

..oops

image.png

The chap has seen the motor! At least it will be cheap to replace

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips