Caffeine fan

Another newb Mazzer question

So I've just picked my new, to me, Super Jolly from Mr Latte - thanks very much by the way - but have already hit a problem.

Up until now I have been using pre-ground coffee, Illy mainly, with the pressurised filter basket in my Gaggia Classic. 

Now that I can grind I have moved to using the standard double basket but when I went to use this for the first time I got nothing out of the portafilter. You can hear the machine labouring but absolutely no espresso. When I empty the filter basket there appears to be a hard crust at the very bottom.

If use the Illy I get something out so I am guessing that I have the grind too fine on the on Jolly? If this is case how much of an adjustment do I need to get into the right grind zone?  I know I can experiment but I am trying not to waste too many beans. 

Any observations appreciated.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Caffeine fan said:

So I've just picked my new, to me, Super Jolly from Mr Latte - thanks very much by the way - but have already hit a problem.

Up until now I have been using pre-ground coffee, Illy mainly, with the pressurised filter basket in my Gaggia Classic. 

Now that I can grind I have moved to using the standard double basket but when I went to use this for the first time I got nothing out of the portafilter. You can hear the machine labouring but absolutely no espresso. When I empty the filter basket there appears to be a hard crust at the very bottom.

If use the Illy I get something out so I am guessing that I have the grind too fine on the on Jolly? If this is case how much of an adjustment do I need to get into the right grind zone?  I know I can experiment but I am trying not to waste too many beans. 

Any observations appreciated.

What basket are you now using , the single or double that came with the machine ? EDIT I SEE YOUR USING THE DOUBLE 

How much coffee , in grams preferably to the nearest 0.1 re you using.

You will need scales to weight the espresso out to adjust the taste as well. 

You may have a combination off too fine a grind and too much coffee, so simply coarsening it when you are not fixing the dose may not work. 

So fix a dose , appropriate to the basket. If a stock double lets say use 16g and then try again. 

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Get a kilo of the current mystery bean from coffee compass to play about with. There's really no way to avoid wasting beans while you're getting used to the grinder but it needn't be too expensive.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Thanks for responses.  I was using 17 grams - weighed using the scales I have purchased for this purpose. So later on I will try 16 grams at a coarser setting and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

So after about 4 attempts I managed to get a half-way decent cup so I'm pretty pleased all in all.  No doubt things will improve as I get used to my new toy and when I start weighing the output. That's the next thing on my list to have a go at!  

Cheers all.

• Like 1

there you have it!
Great you're getting into the ballpark

Speaking of which... even though some on here don't have a crush on Jim Schulman (you know who you are ) I keep re-posting this here guideline: https://www.home-barista.com/tips/espresso-101-how-to-adjust-dose-and-grind-setting-by-taste-t16968.html
I believe it to be a handy tool when getting to grips with new or unknown equipment.
First section will let you learn a thing or two about your machine/grinder combo. Second section about your coffee, third about when to call it a shot.

However, remember: in the end of the day, it's about joy not numbers!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Thanks for the link. Lots to take on board.  The phrase that stands out is “lots of patience when starting out”. Yep! 

I guess once I’ve got the hang of it it won’t feel like doing the numbers. 

• Like 1