mathof

Roast evens – inside and out

Does it matter is a roasted bean is much lighter inside than out. I roasted some Guatemala Joya Oscura washed beans (sourced from Foundry) for espresso, and dropped them between. FC and SC. They have 17% of development time. I like the flavour although they must be finely ground and pulled very carefully to get a good extraction yield. The inside is much lighter than the surface, which is also mottled and quite chaffy (image attached). Should I seek to change something on my next roast?

IMG_0128 copy.jpg

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, Gene Café, Atago Barista

Posted (edited)

Reduce the power from the 1275W you're using during the roast (with your mains voltage of 242V), it can be a bit too powerful in warm weather and then reduce again at 1st.  Roast them slower than the 11 minutes total roast time you are using.  Don't roast a 200g batch as you are doing, roast a 250g batch or even 275g if roasting slower. Start to keep a roast log for your roasts to allow you to make better adjustments for each bean.

As you are in Europe ( the temperature is very hot at the moment).

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Thank you for those suggestions. I’ll give them a go. 

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, Gene Café, Atago Barista

Dave must know what roaster you're torturing in these dog days...
Would've said similar, slow it down a bit after drying phase: get to 1C about a minute later, then stretch development a bit at a lower RoR so end temp is equal/similar but profile curve a tad flatter.
Careful though, the flatter your temp curve is coasting in on 1C the more likely you are to stall (and therefore bake) the roast.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

His sig said Gene Cafe, the rest was pure guesswork, all of it....because I didn't have much to go on..

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

His sig said Gene Cafe, the rest was pure guesswork, all of it....because I didn't have much to go on..
on TT I don't see them signatures thx for the heads up!

Just to explain where we're coming from: beans being lighter on their inside are a sign of too fast a roast and/or too high temperatures. Both condense into a high RoR (rate of rise) that should be kept getting ever lower as a roast progresses.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford