Having borrowed a set of the small £10(ish) 2dp scales from work to weigh both beans in and coffee out, I have decided I need to get some of my own. 

Does anyone know of a set that won't break the bank but are a bit better, maybe even water resistant (this is probably asking a tad too much at the sort of price I want to pay)?

Thanks.

These are often the cheap recommended option, even have a timer built in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0759J83GT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used them for a while but found them a bit slow to react and I upgraded to Felicita ARC.

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

This set is quite a nice size for fitting under an espresso machine. They're not waterproof but have had mine for a couple of years & they're still going strong.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

14 minutes ago, Nick1881 said:

I used them for a while but found them a bit slow to react

I know what you mean about this type of scales - it's always a bit of a guess to when to stop the machine to try and get the right weight ( therefore the right ratio) of espresso. I would say they are ok if using for pour overs but may be lacking if using it on an espresso machine. 

Thanks guys.

I think I'll be going for the budget recommendation. I don't think I'll ever be ultra precise (sorry for the herasey) so £100 plus scales would be too much.......but, down the line, who knows!

Will the ones Nick posted the link for go under the portafilla ok?

Thanks.

Thanks guys.
I think I'll be going for the budget recommendation. I don't think I'll ever be ultra precise (sorry for the herasey) so £100 plus scales would be too much.......but, down the line, who knows!
Will the ones Nick posted the link for go under the portafilla ok?
Thanks.

Depends on your machine. The ones Nick linked are 25mm high.

Thanks ashcroc. 

I think this may have quite a bearing on their suitability. I have a Lelit Mara and think it's small footprint will probably mean less room for the cup.

The set I borrowed is of the type you posted in your link. I have no problem using these, just thought if there was a similar set, a bit water resistant and at a decent price I'd give them a whirl.

I'm off to measure..........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eCoaster-bluetooth-Nutritional-analysis-Nutrition/dp/B01N43UQJV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=small+scale+coaster&qid=1561806385&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I liked the look of these and the price seems to have dropped a little, the e-coaster ones look very thin., good for getting under the group of coffee machines and a little thinner than the ones I use I think.

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

The scales @ashroc pointed to work well with the Mara. I use Amir scales, also from Amazon with my Mara, but they look exactly the same and the same dimensions.

They fit on the drip tray and miss the opv outlet and plenty of room for a typical flat white/latte cup size.

Not waterproof but I’ve been using mine for a couple of years now and no probs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

3 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eCoaster-bluetooth-Nutritional-analysis-Nutrition/dp/B01N43UQJV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=small+scale+coaster&qid=1561806385&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I liked the look of these and the price seems to have dropped a little, the e-coaster ones look very thin., good for getting under the group of coffee machines and a little thinner than the ones I use I think.

I like the look of these. 

Perhaps worth a punt at £19.50. You can't really know until you try them. I was going to get some, but I already have 3 sets of scales.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

The scales @ashroc pointed to work well with the Mara. I use Amir scales, also from Amazon with my Mara, but they look exactly the same and the same dimensions.

They fit on the drip tray and miss the opv outlet and plenty of room for a typical flat white/latte cup size.

Not waterproof but I’ve been using mine for a couple of years now and no probs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it's just a rebrand. I bought amir & when I click through my order history it brings the craicr ones up. At least one member has ordered craicr ones to receive an amir branded set.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Think it's just a rebrand. I bought amir & when I click through my order history it brings the craicr ones up. At least one member has ordered craicr ones to receive an amir branded set.

Did you not think the ones I linked to for £6 more would be any good then, rechargeable, 1.2mm thick, glass top, bluetooth etc..?

Edited by DavecUK

Did you not think the ones I linked to for £6 more would be any good then, rechargeable, 1.2mm thick, glass top, bluetooth etc..?
Never bought the ones you linked to & was replying to someone who was talking about the Amir ones.

Tough weigh ones on ebay are not bad. or the copy ones of Joe Frex ones.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

I bought the ones mentioned by Dave. They were nice looking, slim and fitted nicely under the portafiller. I couldn't get to grips with how to use them and the instructions were rubbish, for any detailed instructions an app was needed which I didn't want. They were returned and a set of the cheap and cheerfuls were purchased and they're fine.

In the future I might invest in a nicer looking and better set. I'm always having to come up with things I want as presents so will bear scales in mind.

Thank you all for your help.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DDoe said:

I bought the ones mentioned by Dave. They were nice looking, slim and fitted nicely under the portafiller. I couldn't get to grips with how to use them and the instructions were rubbish, for any detailed instructions an app was needed which I didn't want. They were returned and a set of the cheap and cheerfuls were purchased and they're fine.

In the future I might invest in a nicer looking and better set. I'm always having to come up with things I want as presents so will bear scales in mind.

Thank you all for your help.

Well at least I know not to buy them :( , I thought they looked really good.

Edited by DavecUK

Posted (edited)

Looks like you never looked at my recommendation scales, I have had the tuff weigh ones for two years. Well it's only cost you double. Or the Joe frex ones. By the time you bought more scales total cost £35 Joe frex form Bella Barista

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

Well at least I know not to buy them :( , I thought they looked really good.

They did look the part and may well have been had I been able to get to grips with them. I'm pretty sure the problem was me, I'm not very good with digital techi stuff, it appears you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

1 hour ago, Jony said:

Looks like you never looked at my recommendation scales, I have had the tuff weigh ones for two years. Well it's only cost you double. Or the Joe frex ones. By the time you bought more scales total cost £35 Joe frex form Bella Barista

I did look at the tough weigh but decided to go for the really cheap and cheerful ones. I've only paid out about £6 and am quite happy for now. I think, if and when I need a new set, it will probably be the Joe Frex, but I've spent a bit out on coffee "stuff" recently and am feeling a bit guilty.