eddie57

Gene Cafe 101 dimmer mod issue?

Posted (edited)

Hi,  i've had a go at the dimmer mod on the  Gene Cafe 101 using  @MediumRoastSteam  thread 

but i think i've messed it up.  when I turn the dimmer down  the  temperature still keeps rising on the gene display. 

if  I then turn  the temperature  dial down  the dimmer display goes off for a second or two,

i've  tried searching the forum,  but search functions  gone pear shaped for some reason. any idea  where I could have gone wrong. @DavecUK any help would be greatly appreciated

PS i'm not the best at  explaining myself so please be gentle☺️

Edited by eddie57

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge

• Thanks 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

38 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I must of read that article about 50 times already and im still none the wiser. are you saying i've wired it up wrong?  if so i'll have another crack at it. I don't really want to strip it all down again for no reason😩

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge

Posted (edited)

I don't know what you've done, you have not really given us enough information to go on. No photos of what you did, diagrams, description, components used nothing. Just that it's basically not working. I've absolutely no idea what's wrong. Perhaps someone else can help based on the information given, if they had exactly the same problem as you and solved it?

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I must of read that article about 50 times already and im still none the wiser. are you saying i've wired it up wrong?  if so i'll have another crack at it. I don't really want to strip it all down again for no reason

I’m happy to help!

Feel free to PM me and I’m sure we’ll get to the bottom of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I don't know what you've done, you have not really given us enough information to go on. No photos of what you did, diagrams, description, components used nothing. Just that it's basically not working. I've absolutely no idea what's wrong. Perhaps someone else can help based on the information given, if they had exactly the same problem as you and solved it?

Thanks, I did say i'm not very good at explaining myself.  but you've pretty much told me what i needed to know  (its basically not working)

I have very limited knowledge of electronics, but  am always willing to have a go myself.  I just thought someone might have known from the limited description

I gave that a wire could be switched around or something.  because everything else seems to work except  the heater stays on. I guess i'm just clutching at straws. back to the drawing board😧

Edited by eddie57

6 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I’m happy to help!

Feel free to PM me and I’m sure we’ll get to the bottom of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate,  having a bit of food  will PM you in a bit if thats ok 

Update.  think I sussed it opened her up 3 times this morning and finally found the problem.

I had the heater live going to the neutral,  only noticed it when I checked Eusty's  take on it thread,  saved his image of the inside of the Gene enlarged it in photoshop and saw the problem.  anyway all good hopefully😌

• Like 2

Picture saves a 1000 words, handy that  he posted a photo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Picture saves a 1000 words, handy that  he posted a photo

Yeah it was, and i'm grateful that he did👍