bronc

Pourover kettle

I want to up my brewed coffee game and for this I need to get a pourover kettle. Is the Hario Buono still the one to go for or are there better options? Not looking to spend top money though. 

Posted (edited)

The spout on the Buono isn't the best, unless you want very fast flow rate. It's cheap and widely available though. I'm pretty happy with the Brewista Artisan electric, though pricy it's quite nice to use. Since I have glasstop electric stove a electric kettle heats up way faster and doesn't boil the water (=less scale), I use 95C.

Edited by the_partisan

Tjink the cheapest option is a gooseneck jug you just fill up from the kettle.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Agree, Buono a nice object but the pour is not the best compared to even cheaper options. I like the overly expensive variable temperature control kettles as they make for a tidy workflow – though I know some consider them unnecessary. And, I admit this begrudgingly as my Brewista Smart Pour has just died...

What's your budget and preference for electric/stovetop etc?

My Brewista Smart kettle is excellent.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

5 minutes ago, Jony said:

My Brewista Smart kettle is excellent.

I'd have said this too except, as above, it is dying a death as of the last few days. Doesn't detect the right temperature, seemingly random. E.g. can work fine one moment, then another time it will read at 50c at keep heating even when it's actually at a rolling boil.  

Sadly time for a replacement....I hear the Stagg EKG has just been released with EU voltage 😇

• Like 1

Have a word with Coffee Hit, did you get it from them

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

5 minutes ago, Jony said:

Have a word with Coffee Hit, did you get it from them

I did, but new "open-box" through their eBay. I'll contact them anyway, they're always friendly.

I would been told they are ok.

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Sadly time for a replacement....I hear the Stagg EKG has just been released with EU voltage 

It’s available to preorder for next week delivery from @coffeeomega.

It’s available to preorder for next week delivery from @coffeeomega.

Forum discount too I believe.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PPapa said:

It’s available to preorder for next week delivery from @coffeeomega. emoji4.png

Oh heck, and less than the import from cremashop I was looking at...

Edit: Ah no, that's price excl. VAT.

Creamshop probably still cheapest, £150~ with a fee-free card and free delivery.

https://www.cremashop.eu/en/products/fellow/stagg-ekg-pour-over-kettle

Edited by catpuccino
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ashcroc said:

Forum discount too I believe.

EtA21I.gif

EtA21I.gif
The thread you'll want to read is here.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

The thread you'll want to read is here. emoji6.png

Thanks, I missed that thread. Just to point out for anyone interested....Fellow have come out with a wooden handle kit:

https://fellowproducts.com/shop/stagg-wooden-handle-and-lid-pull-kit/

Now how long until @joey24dirt gets involved :whistle:

• Like 3

Ah damn, I’ve heard the handle feels a bit plasticky, but $60 will pretty much make it to a £200 kettle.

I’m hoping to get mine delivered next week... if you are ever in Glasgow, you know who to message!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the_partisan said:

The spout on the Buono isn't the best, unless you want very fast flow rate. It's cheap and widely available though. I'm pretty happy with the Brewista Artisan electric, though pricy it's quite nice to use. Since I have glasstop electric stove a electric kettle heats up way faster and doesn't boil the water (=less scale), I use 95C.

I was going to make a thread about the brewista artisan, because there isn't much mention of them here... I'm very tempted to get a white one to match the Niche. Not a necessity of course, but they're really pretty! Any downsides? 

12 hours ago, jaffro said:

I was going to make a thread about the brewista artisan, because there isn't much mention of them here... I'm very tempted to get a white one to match the Niche. Not a necessity of course, but they're really pretty! Any downsides? 

I find the fake wood handle quite tacky - otherwise  no complaints. Feels quite hefty and solidly built. The capacity is also limited to 0.6L if that would be an issue for you. It doesn't seem to have a "auto-keep" warm function i.e. after you boil and put it back it won't reboil it automatically. I don't particularly care for that anyway since within a 2 min brew the temp would maybe drop a few degrees at most. I really like the pour control much more than the Buono, and it's not painfully slow either like the Fellow seems to be.

• Thanks 1

What's your budget and preference for electric/stovetop etc?

My budget is around 40 quid for a stovetop kettle. Don't have the room for an electric one.

I highly recommend the Kalita Wave but that's £60. They do another model called the Pelican Pot - £35 on Hasbean which can go on the stovetop and would be worth a try. I wouldn't go the Amazon Made in China route - you can end up with some really trashy stuff. I have a Tamume which is great at £25 but I don't think that's made to go over a heat source, more one to decant boiling water into for the pour.

Caravel, various drippers (v60, Wave, Mountain), Kinto/Wave kettles, Feldgrind, Hausgrind

I'm new to pour over but purchased a Fellow Stagg stove top kettle from Bear & Bear last month and have been really happy with it. I did a bit of research and this fitted the bill for my requirements. A lot of control, built-in thermometer and ergonomic. I managed to pick it up in the sale, think it was a little over £60 delivered. 

On 26/06/2019 at 20:45, edpirie said:

I highly recommend the Kalita Wave but that's £60. They do another model called the Pelican Pot - £35 on Hasbean which can go on the stovetop and would be worth a try. I wouldn't go the Amazon Made in China route - you can end up with some really trashy stuff. I have a Tamume which is great at £25 but I don't think that's made to go over a heat source, more one to decant boiling water into for the pour.

Which Tamume do you have? Could you post a link? 

Just to add some more info re the Amazon cheapo route/ I bought one (a Homgeek electric gooseneck temperature adjustable) for about £30 if I recall. It is ok. The temperature setting is rubbish. Unless you set it under 90 it overshoots to a boil. I set at 89 and it heats to 96 if I’m lucky. Overall not bad for the money but don’t expect something like the Brewista quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

Posted (edited)

@garethuk : the Tamume I have is this one. Today the handle on the lid came off but it seems to just attach by a magnet so just stuck back on again - I'll report back if it turns out to be a problem. It's one for precise slow pours, don't think you could achieve a lot of agitation if you wanted to pour more aggressively for some reason, and best for one person drip in a 155 or V60-01 than something larger.

Edited by edpirie
  • Like 1

Caravel, various drippers (v60, Wave, Mountain), Kinto/Wave kettles, Feldgrind, Hausgrind

@garethuk : the Tamume I have is this one. Today the handle on the lid came off but it seems to just attach by a magnet so just stuck back on again - I'll report back if it turns out to be a problem. It's one for precise slow pours, don't think you could achieve a lot of agitation if you wanted to pour more aggressively for some reason, and best for one person drip in a 155 or V60-01 than something larger.
The handle on the lid comes off so you can fit a thermometer doesn't it?