igm45

Coffee related news/studies

We often seem to start threads with a news article. I thought I’d start a thread which can be added to, instead of starting a new one.

I saw this:

0E536B68-B3FB-4A7D-AFCF-1968A0DBB239.jpeg.dbeb5b9fc208f8b8a7fc0be246df70fe.jpeg

And thought their choice of picture was interesting, given that black coffee can help you lose weight (apparently)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Yeah, I've heard a lot about anti oxidants in black coffee helping lose weight (moreso rid of any unwanted water and reduce water retention), and wouldn't be surprised if the caffeine did anything too. As caffeine is a mild thermogenic compound, it raises internal body temperature very slightly, and causes our metabolisms to work harder. 

This is likely some journalist that knows nothing about coffee (probably doesn't know the difference between a black coffee/white coffee) and went on google images to find the worst looking latte art they could find. Wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to push a product with it either tbh.

Sign me up for making regular 12 oz lattes with blue top Graham's milk. One a day. Im about that life (and cholesterol).

The most disturbing word in there is "instant" - thank you for cropping the rest :D

I usually question these studies as they're poorly designed, all too often. What makes you burn more calories? Just the ingredients, or rather an increased activity level?

12 minutes ago, Hasi said:

The most disturbing word in there is "instant" - thank you for cropping the rest :D

I usually question these studies as they're poorly designed, all too often. What makes you burn more calories? Just the ingredients, or rather an increased activity level?

It's the fact that caffeine is a mild thermogenic compound that burns the calories.

It's the fact that caffeine is a mild thermogenic compound that burns the calories.
More so if you use a hand grinder.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

2 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
23 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

More so if you use a hand grinder.

Haha, and as we know, the HG-1 burns less calories than an Aergrind due to burrset size.

• Like 2

Measuring SDA (specific dynamic action) of foods is a delicate topic, as is everything that relates to human metabolism. Very little is known for a fact how it all comes together. Even less is known as to why results really vary so much from one individual to another.

If I were to advocate a sure shot at burning calories: exercise more than you eat.

Slim Fast Coffee wtf...

Or take drinking a pint of ice cold water for instance: burns about 100kcal in stabilising your internal temp. But will it burn the correct calories for proper weight (aka. fat) loss? No, it will burn the best accessible ones that are freely floating in your blood vessels at the time. And these are usually Glucose molecules stemming from unavoidable carbohydrate intake (starch, fibre and all that jazz contained in vegetables) even if you're avoiding regular carbs.
Any change in temperature sets out a threat to the sensitive balance of complex organic structures and therefore presents an emergency situation for your body. As will a temp rise provoke counter measures... but that takes us a bit far off

Ha! One day I might publish my own study where I condense all my findings into some high-flying bullsh!t for others that have as little clue to wank off over.
Yeehaw!
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hasi said:

Measuring SDA (specific dynamic action) of foods is a delicate topic, as is everything that relates to human metabolism. Very little is known for a fact how it all comes together. Even less is known as to why results really vary so much from one individual to another.

If I were to advocate a sure shot at burning calories: exercise more than you eat.

Slim Fast Coffee wtf... emoji23.png

Or take drinking a pint of ice cold water for instance: burns about 100kcal in stabilising your internal temp. But will it burn the correct calories for proper weight (aka. fat) loss? No, it will burn the best accessible ones that are freely floating in your blood vessels at the time. And these are usually Glucose molecules stemming from unavoidable carbohydrate intake (starch, fibre and all that jazz contained in vegetables) even if you're avoiding regular carbs.
Any change in temperature sets out a threat to the sensitive balance of complex organic structures and therefore presents an emergency situation for your body. As will a temp rise provoke counter measures... but that takes us a bit far off emoji23.png

Ha! One day I might publish my own study where I condense all my findings into some high-flying bullsh!t for others that have as little clue to wank off over.
Yeehaw!

Well I suppose you could compile that evidence, may make some money from it! All I know is that when I was taking some... "tablets"... that it seemed to work for fat loss but maintain muscular structure (really weird but I'm mega into Powerlifting so substances are quite common).

• Like 1

You misunderstood. What they meant by a black coffee is the cup has to be black, duh!

• Haha 3

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

Well I suppose you could compile that evidence, may make some money from it! All I know is that when I was taking some... "tablets"... that it seemed to work for fat loss but maintain muscular structure (really weird but I'm mega into Powerlifting so substances are quite common).

ha, obviously you can trick your system. Question is how long it will be able to cope.
I've been heavily into resistance training and natural nutrition optimisation methods, did read and test most of what's out there. Talked to a lot of professionals on both ends of the spectrum, be it bodybuilders or doctors and learned one or two things I'd rather avoid. Did workout and nutrition schedules for me and others, driving folk mad kinda like a personal trainer flying under the radar Calorie counting day in and out. Changed my life pretty much tbh. And I was quite big for some time, at 183cm/84kg/4.6% body fat. But it seems I can't keep up with the amount of time needed to maintain the status. So getting older I just find it fun to intersperse some of that experience...
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hasi said:

emoji23.png
ha, obviously you can trick your system. Question is how long it will be able to cope.
I've been heavily into resistance training and natural nutrition optimisation methods, did read and test most of what's out there. Talked to a lot of professionals on both ends of the spectrum, be it bodybuilders or doctors and learned one or two things I'd rather avoid. Did workout and nutrition schedules for me and others, driving folk mad kinda like a personal trainer flying under the radar emoji56.png Calorie counting day in and out. Changed my life pretty much tbh. And I was quite big for some time, at 183cm/84kg/4.6% body fat. But it seems I can't keep up with the amount of time needed to maintain the status. So getting older I just find it fun to intersperse some of that experience... emoji56.pngemoji56.png

Fair enough. I cruise at around 105kg year round @ 6'1 (185cm-ish) Not too concerned with bodyfat unless I'm prepping for a meet. But yeah I agree I have done similar to you with a lot of research and find it ridiculous the amount of regurgitated useless information that is floating around and thrown at you, one of my pet peeves is a "metabolic window 30 mins after training"...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Forinor said:

You misunderstood. What they meant by a black coffee is the cup has to be black, duh!

@MildredM to the rescue!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hasi said:

@MildredM to the rescue!

I like a LBC and I’m slim so it must work 😂 

68725A36-2681-40C6-88E7-39E31B617785.jpeg

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband