Rhys

Wi-fi plugs... advice needed.

I bought a Merros wifi plug thing for my Speedster. All worked great until it did one if its updates and now it just trips itself when I switch it on so it's now relegated to turning a bedroom side lamp on via my Alexa dot (so I don't have to hunt for the switch) Lazy eh? That's technology for you..

Anyway, now looking for a replacement that can cope with the draw from my machine.. I've noted Merros make a bigger amperage one though can't find one on fleabay.

What else is out there that folks can recommend? I bought the Merros due to @DavecUK recommending them.

Cheers folks :classic_cool:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

12 minutes ago, Rhys said:

I bought a Merros wifi plug thing for my Speedster. All worked great until it did one if its updates and now it just trips itself when I switch it on so it's now relegated to turning a bedroom side lamp on via my Alexa dot (so I don't have to hunt for the switch) Lazy eh? That's technology for you..

Anyway, now looking for a replacement that can cope with the draw from my machine.. I've noted Merros make a bigger amperage one though can't find one on fleabay.

What else is out there that folks can recommend? I bought the Merros due to @DavecUK recommending them.

Cheers folks :classic_cool:

Hi @Rhys, I was planning on moving over to Meross smart plug as I have a Belkin/Wemo insight at the moment! The device works OK if I am running within the network but has now stopped responding as soon as I am outside (relying on 4G). I have gone through the different levels of support...to the point where they admit the fault (other have the same problem too) but cannot find a resolve. So for me, the WeMo is Ok for when I am on my WiFi but useless if I want to turn on before I get home.

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi plug, had it nearly a year works a treat. No issues when using over WiFi or 4G.

Runs power to both my HX and Grinder via a 2 plug adaptor 

TP Link have been good for me. Have 3 running at present and have only had one issue in about 18 months. That issue was a system update which took them offline for a few hours.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

I use the Meross 13 amp ones, is it tripping on your speedster?

Yes. I have it linked to my Alexa and via the Meross app on the phone. As soon as I switched it on the plug would click and the Speedster would go off again.

I've seen all sorts of different ones on fleabay but can't make head'nor'tale about them if they would cope with the current drop. I have a similar experience with 110 Volt transformers when on jobs, Soon as I plug one in and switch it on it trips the customer's RCD panel. I'm guessing the same thing is happening due to the heating elements kicking in and the sudden power drop. Probably thinking something's gone wrong and cutting it out for safety.

I've only got the one Meross plug so far, but if I get something different I'll give it away as I don't want loads of apps on my phone. I've got enough as it is :classic_rolleyes:

I bought the Meross one as it's quite compact. It's this one...

spacer.png

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

1 hour ago, Les996 said:

Hi @Rhys, I was planning on moving over to Meross smart plug as I have a Belkin/Wemo insight at the moment! The device works OK if I am running within the network but has now stopped responding as soon as I am outside (relying on 4G). I have gone through the different levels of support...to the point where they admit the fault (other have the same problem too) but cannot find a resolve. So for me, the WeMo is Ok for when I am on my WiFi but useless if I want to turn on before I get home.

That's something that is a must as well. I can remote switch on the Meross from the app on my phone and it shows when it's on,

I sat in my van just before setting off from a job and tried switching my machine on (can't be arsed waiting when I get home) and it used to work great, then after an update it would immediately switch back off..

I'm back to using my timer plug so I can at least wake up to a ready machine when half asleep at silly o'clock in the morning.

6 minutes ago, Rhys said:

That's something that is a must as well. I can remote switch on the Meross from the app on my phone and it shows when it's on,

I sat in my van just before setting off from a job and tried switching my machine on (can't be arsed waiting when I get home) and it used to work great, then after an update it would immediately switch back off..

I'm back to using my timer plug so I can at least wake up to a ready machine when half asleep at silly o'clock in the morning.

It's not the same one as mine, perhaps you have the 10 amp one?

meross1.thumb.JPG.f08faf6119d1e162b674a14f22c39faa.JPG

meross2.JPG.3353fd11065cf255edd000873963f900.JPG

Edited by DavecUK

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

6 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

It's not the same one as mine, perhaps you have the 10 amp one?

meross1.thumb.JPG.f08faf6119d1e162b674a14f22c39faa.JPG

meross2.JPG.3353fd11065cf255edd000873963f900.JPG

D8F0980F-16C7-47B3-B485-FEB365A2643A.thumb.jpeg.4a31c35a3ebe27a173fd2a48fb908ce2.jpeg

Nope, appears to be the same one. Have you updated yours recently? Maybe they’ve sent out another update, I’ll try it again..

2 of mine have the firmware update, 2 do not. It's 2 low power lighting units in the kitchen that don't. I use them for voice (and timed) control of various kitchen counter lights. The coffee machine ones has been fine. I have 4 smart plugs in use and 2 more to install. All Meross as Alexa finds them automatically after a while and they have a good app, especially around on/off times. e.g. the before and after sunset/rise options.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

The tp link has been great to me. Currently running both my machine and grinder off 1 plug with no issues 

LR, ZM

Running a TP-link here too. Seems to be running nice and reliably (touch wood). Has a two year warranty too, provided me with a bit more confidence than some of the lesser known brands from an electrical safety pov.

+1 for tp-link

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

I've just plugged my Speedster back in through the Meross, and so far it's stayed on. I'm guessing when it switches on from cold it'll probably trip as the heating elements didn't need to kick in. I'll see how it is in the morning.

I've just plugged my Speedster back in through the Meross, and so far it's stayed on. I'm guessing when it switches on from cold it'll probably trip as the heating elements didn't need to kick in. I'll see how it is in the morning.

Is it possible to just have it heating up on the brew boiler & switching the steam on manually when you wake up?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

2 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Is it possible to just have it heating up on the brew boiler & switching the steam on manually when you wake up?

Nope, it heats both up but not at the same time. 3 x 900 watt heating elements, 2 in the steam and one in the brew boiler plus a heat exchanger to heat the water going to the brew boiler through the steam boiler (as well as a cold bypass to bring it down to brew temp as the steam boiler is 135 degrees). All the elements don't come on at once though to keep power consumption lower. IIRC two come on so it's 1800 watts and it alternates between switching one off in the steam boiler when the brew one comes on. Eco mode cuts the temp in half to conserve energy and enables quick heat up time when switched back onto full power, but that's manually switching after it's turned on. Pretty complicated to explain, but it's a quickish start up, and I use the steam boiler (which is up to temp pretty quick, while the brew boiler takes a while longer.. )

3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

What is the amperage of the speedster?

screenshot-keesvanderwesten.com-2019_06.25-00-34-51.jpg.97c13ce3865a03205c0d643f6df70707.jpg

I'm not sure how it's been set up now tbh as it appears you can have all the elements on at once, or muck about inside it to switch them @EricC will know better I expect.

Sounds like you might be pulling 13.5A or more. 13.5 is going to be at 230V I would think.  The 1 phase part seems to suggest that. At 240V it would pull over 14 amps. This is the trouble with the nominal calculations and our mains voltage in places can be much higher our tolerances allow from 216V to 253V. In practice the lower limit is rarely reached and it's unlikely to drop to much less than 227 volts, but I have seen 245V here very late at night or in the early hours, even though the substation is quite highly loaded.

It's one of the reasons I put 260 odd volts through the niche when testing, as well as almost down to 205V (I think it was).

• Like 1

@RhysSince you said the trouble began after an update - is it possible to go back to the previous firmware and see if that helps?

@Rhys Morning, In answer to your question your Speedster has not had any adjustments or modifications to the heating elements that i know of, also far as I know it is not possible to alter the way the heating elements operate other than using the actual PID Controller for each individual boiler to put it into ECO mode.

Edited by EricC

KvdW Speedster ; Versalab M3/4

I, too, have a TP-link smart plug. The one with energy monitoring, which I find interesting. 

Running without issue for 3 years. 

And currently £19.98 on Bezos’s shopping website. 

ECM Synchronika, Mazzer Royal g-o-d doserless with Auber Instruments J72MA, Gene Cafe 101

9 hours ago, EricC said:

@Rhys Morning, In answer to your question your Speedster has not had any adjustments or modifications to the heating elements that i know of, also far as I know it is not possible to alter the way the heating elements operate other than using the actual PID Controller for each individual boiler to put it into ECO mode.

Ah right, so it will be running at full power then.

Total consumed power (Watts) can be diminished by retracting an electric bridge at the centre solid state relay: whenever the heating element of the coffee boiler is activated, one of the steam boiler elements is now automatically de-activated. This brings down total wattage with 900 to 2.200Watt. (Standard max wattage is 3.100.) Yet hardly any effect can be noted in capacity. Heating up from cold will take a bit longer however. The bridge on the centre SSR is standard deleted on 115Volt machines.

Just tried plugging it into the Meross and switching it on. A couple of seconds later it tripped off. Back to the timer plug. Will look into the TP-Link stuff, but also looking into the Light-wave system where you replace the socket itself with a smart socket (as well as light switches)