I simply love coffee and have travelled extensively. After drinking coffee in Brazil I decided I needed fresh coffee in my life!

I live in London and have been roasting coffee for over 4 years and know the fresher the coffee the better it tastes! A bad coffee could spoil my day and so this is why I designed and developed a home coffee roasting set. Details can be seen at www.crackingbeans.com

I wanted to take roasting to the home which is both affordable and easy.

i would love feedback on my new website and also on the product

Thanks in advance

Gerard

CC4B696B-5A13-4D8D-BF66-149D304C1C83.jpeg

Hey :) maybe talk to @Tait about advertising opportunities on the forum :)

Is that a sample roast ^^^ looks like a few burnt beans in there!

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

@Tait

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

1 minute ago, MildredM said:

Thanks for your comments. I like a dark roast but obviously you can control it. The roast certainly tastes amazing! The tumbling mechanism works really well. Will look into the advertising.

I just had a look at the roaster...

• You really invented this (wow), you get props for that!
  • only £65, is the lid extra?
  • Can I use it for popcorn as well if the lid is available as an accessory
  • the great new items coming to market for the home roaster never cease to amaze me
  • Is the stirrer bit patented because you bent it a little differently?

Would this work as well or better for £17.99 , it has a  twin sided hinged lid (can open only half) and can also do popcorn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddingtons-1-Piece-Traditional-Popcorn-Maker/dp/B008635EUE/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?keywords=popcorn+pan+with+stirrer&qid=1561380473&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr2

image.png.9166bb86681224d6bc9414a2b93b0c5b.png

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

9 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I just had a look at the roaster...

• You really invented this (wow), you get props for that!
  • only £65, is the lid extra?
  • Can I use it for popcorn as well if the lid is available as an accessory
  • the great new items coming to market for the home roaster never cease to amaze me
  • Is the stirrer bit patented because you bent it a little differently?

Would this work as well or better for £17.99 , it has a  twin sided hinged lid (can open only half) and can also do popcorn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddingtons-1-Piece-Traditional-Popcorn-Maker/dp/B008635EUE/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?keywords=popcorn+pan+with+stirrer&qid=1561380473&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr2

image.png.9166bb86681224d6bc9414a2b93b0c5b.png

Can you put this review on your website? I'd also really like to highlight the amount of steam coming off this espresso, it's mental:

image.thumb.png.84a0c944b23f1a5f06cb8938bb1ba5b5.png

Your popcorn maker is made of Aluminium which really is not great to roast coffee as it heats to quickly and also does not hold the heat well. Its better to be able to see the beans so you can pick your roast level. The roaster I have developed involves numerous  metals in the base so as to give optimum temperatures for roasting.

52 minutes ago, Crackingbeans said:

Your popcorn maker is made of Aluminium which really is not great to roast coffee as it heats to quickly and also does not hold the heat well. Its better to be able to see the beans so you can pick your roast level. The roaster I have developed involves numerous  metals in the base so as to give optimum temperatures for roasting.

It's not my popcorn make, I just had a quick look on Amazon, again surprised you have applied materials science and metallurgy in the design of your unique pan, I suppose it even works on induction. Looks like you smashed it out of the park with this one. When you say optimum temperature for roasting, how do you measure that?

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I have an infared thermometer but to be honest once you have roasted a few times you get a feel for things. You also get a grinder with the set which works very well as it has a stainless steel burr and not a ceramic one.

maybe I should save up for this one rather than the Loring I've been dreaming of so far...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Great that you can produce light, medium and burnt roast levels all from the same batch.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Might sample this to get me in the game. Was tempted fir a Dalian.

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jony said:

I'd be careful - this offers much more versatility than the Dalian. One day you could be roasting coffee beans in it, the next day it's a bed pan.

Edited by Cooffe
  • Haha 2

Think we had some fun with it, but seriously now...

This here community is full of grade A lunatic coffee enthusiasts. Folk are dedicating most of their time (and monies) to coffee, quite a few are active home roasters. Others work in coffee industry operating commercial machinery.

While cranking a pot on a stove might be fun for some, it constitutes an age-old method one can learn about in rural museums. That is because back in 19th Century Europe, local grocers would supply green beans in areas too remote to deliver fresh coffee to. Or where people were so poor they couldn't afford to buy real coffee and had to roast acorns, nuts and stuff as a substitute.

Nowadays, knowledge as well as technology have evolved to a point where small money can buy (used) home roasting equipment that does heat, agitate beans and partly even control a roast, automatically.

Even when using aerospace grade or rocket science materials, a stirring pot will always stay... a pot.
And therefore pretty much covering a small niche in places where people don't (yet) know better. Everybody needs to start somewhere, so projects like yours are a possible entry point for folk looking into starting out home roasting.

Then again, as it has been said before, get your advertising request over to the mods or owners to be cleared.

And, if I may add, 'coffee tastes great' isn't a valid argument at all. Taste differs, but in an attempt to standardise things, organisations like the SCAA/E have established vocabulary to describe coffees so that professionals working as tasters, cuppers, product developers or quality managers can make notes others would understand.
While I could tell the world about our coffees they all taste great, hardly any on here would agree. The more experience you gain, the more refined your palate will become - enbling you to tell very subtle differences in different batches of the very same bean and roast profile.

Last thing, you want to create the most even roast possible so that individual beans aren't roasted to another level than others. This is to prevent two cups from tasting differently or one having off-flavours like grassy, ashy, rubbery or other over/underroasted nuances.
Looking at your beans, I see scorching, tipping, completely charred examples and a few unevenly coloured ones. Making a bold guess now, but I imagine to find all aforementioned off-flavours in the cup.

Coffee roasting is a rather complex topic where many things can go wrong at most times before, during and after a roast. The more precision and control the better. Here, we're seeing a minimum of both.

• Like 3

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

20 hours ago, MildredM said:

33 minutes ago, Hasi said:

Think we had some fun with it, but seriously now...

This here community is full of grade A lunatic coffee enthusiasts. Folk are dedicating most of their time (and monies) to coffee, quite a few are active home roasters. Others work in coffee industry operating commercial machinery.

While cranking a pot on a stove might be fun for some, it constitutes an age-old method one can learn about in rural museums. That is because back in 19th Century Europe, local grocers would supply green beans in areas too remote to deliver fresh coffee to. Or where people were so poor they couldn't afford to buy real coffee and had to roast acorns, nuts and stuff as a substitute.

Nowadays, knowledge as well as technology have evolved to a point where small money can buy (used) home roasting equipment that does heat, agitate beans and partly even control a roast, automatically.

Even when using aerospace grade or rocket science materials, a stirring pot will always stay... a pot.
And therefore pretty much covering a small niche in places where people don't (yet) know better. Everybody needs to start somewhere, so projects like yours are a possible entry point for folk looking into starting out home roasting.

Then again, as it has been said before, get your advertising request over to the mods or owners to be cleared.

And, if I may add, 'coffee tastes great' isn't a valid argument at all. Taste differs, but in an attempt to standardise things, organisations like the SCAA/E have established vocabulary to describe coffees so that professionals working as tasters, cuppers, product developers or quality managers can make notes others would understand.
While I could tell the world about our coffees they all taste great, hardly any on here would agree. The more experience you gain, the more refined your palate will become - enbling you to tell very subtle differences in different batches of the very same bean and roast profile.

Last thing, you want to create the most even roast possible so that individual beans aren't roasted to another level than others. This is to prevent two cups from tasting differently or one having off-flavours like grassy, ashy, rubbery or other over/underroasted nuances.
Looking at your beans, I see scorching, tipping, completely charred examples and a few unevenly coloured ones. Making a bold guess now, but I imagine to find all aforementioned off-flavours in the cup.

Coffee roasting is a rather complex topic where many things can go wrong at most times before, during and after a roast. The more precision and control the better. Here, we're seeing a minimum of both.

14 hours ago, Hasi said:

maybe I should save up for this one rather than the Loring I've been dreaming of so far...

The great thing about this one is you have total control of your roasting level

14 hours ago, Stevebee said:

Great that you can produce light, medium and burnt roast levels all from the same batch.

The degree to which you turn the roaster will effect the evenness of the roast. I have become a bit lazy and so only turned this roast very occasionally. It still tastes amazing though.

5 hours ago, Cooffe said:

I'd be careful - this offers much more versatility than the Dalian. One day you could be roasting coffee beans in it, the next day it's a bed pan.

7 hours ago, Jony said:

I developed an electric roaster also but found it difficult to control my roast. The issues with small roasters is they have to heat to high temperatures and then also cool and so can be unreliable. With the roaster I now have on the market i find it great as I can totally control the degree of roasting and also roast at least 250g per session

4 hours ago, Crackingbeans said:

I actually studied chemistry at Cambridge and have researched in depth the chemical effects of a bean as it is roasted. I then took all this into account when developing the base of the roaster to ensure the right heating levels throughout the roast  by combing different  metals in the base . The simple fact is this is very different to anything else on the market and with the unique tumbling mechanism ensures a uniform roast. All I have had is very positive feedback from people that have tried it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Crackingbeans said:

I actually studied chemistry at Cambridge and have researched in depth the chemical effects of a bean as it is roasted. I then took all this into account when developing the base of the roaster to ensure the right heating levels throughout the roast  by combing different  metals in the base . The simple fact is this is very different to anything else on the market and with the unique tumbling mechanism ensures a uniform roast. All I have had is very positive feedback from people that have tried it.

It's amazing how  lack of knowledge and experience inspires such confidence ;)

Posted (edited)

Oh just a bit of extra feedback. I had a look at one of your Coffees, the Guatemala Bojangles...£13 for 1kg of green coffee is a joke. I understand you want to make a profit, but to add on 460% is a bit much. If a roaster was roasting that and selling it, they would probably be no more than a £11.50 per Kg roasted coffee (and go to commercial outlets in bulk), they need almost 1.2kg of greens to get that 1Kg

I was going to say if I roasted that and shared it with my roast sharers, they would probably be paying around £4 per Kg for this, but it's such a cheap coffee, I would never buy it. My own coffees cost around 3 times as much or more in the green. In fact you are getting to a place where for 250g the cost of the bag is  almost 50% of the coffee within it.

Why am I saying this, it's because there are a lot of roasters out there who have honed their skills over years and buy much more expensive greens. Their roasted coffee will be immeasurably better than anything you can produce. They are the ones that deserve peoples business.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Oh just a bit of extra feedback. I had a look at one of your Coffees, the Guatemala Bojangles...£13 for 1kg of green coffee is a joke. I understand you want to make a profit, but to add on 460% is a bit much. If a roaster was roasting that and selling it, they would be no more than a £11.50 per Kg roasted  coffee and would need almost 1.2kg of greens to get that 1Kg

I was going to say if I roasted that and shared it with my roast sharers, they would probably be paying around £4 per Kg for this, but it's such a cheap coffee, I would never buy it. My own coffees cost around 3 times as much or more in the green. In fact you are getting to a place where for a 250g the cost of the bag is  almost 50% of the coffee within it.

Why am I saying this, it's because there are a lot of roasters out there who have honed their skills over years and buy much more expensive greens. Their roasted coffee will be immeasurably better than anything you can produce. They are the ones that deserve peoples business.

17 hours ago, Stevebee said:

Perfect.

image.thumb.png.c272abb0e53ef93dfb1b1a697dfe3452.png

• Like 1

oh@DavecUK save your wrists for folk who's listening up

says Hasi.

Posted (edited)
On 25/06/2019 at 14:04, DavecUK said:

Oh just a bit of extra feedback. I had a look at one of your Coffees, the Guatemala Bojangles...£13 for 1kg of green coffee is a joke. I understand you want to make a profit, but to add on 460% 

How do you know how much it cost? 

Had a little look myself and noticed the insect damage on the bean near the top. I admire the honesty. 

guatemalagreenbeanproductimagepage.jpg

Edited by Rob1

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe