Gubbo89

Newbie converting from BTC - advice needed!

Hello everyone!

Joined the forum recently to get help with my Delonghi Magnifica BTC machine and since looking around, want to upgrade to an espresso machine and grinder setup.

Not willing to break the bank at the moment as want to see if the machine/grinder combo will actually work with my hectic schedule and young family.

So after all that - I have my heart set on a Gaggia classic (SH) but am stuck on what grinder to get. Looking for entry level that will at least give a decent espresso grind so I can test out life with the Gaggia.

Wont be using the grinder for any other brewing methods if that helps?

So far have seen the below but didn’t know if this is a good place to start?

Budget is up to £100 SH.

- Gaggia MDF

- Sage Dose Control Pro

- Sage Smart Grinder Pro

- Baratza something?

- Iberital MC2

Thanks in advance!

Don't forget my Classic is still for sale....but going on a well known auction site at the weekend. 

14 minutes ago, dc101 said:

Don't forget my Classic is still for sale....but going on a well known auction site at the weekend. 

No problem thanks. I found one slightly closer to home that I’m hoping to get my hands on. If not, I’ll be back in touch but don’t wait for me.

Hello everyone!

Joined the forum recently to get help with my Delonghi Magnifica BTC machine and since looking around, want to upgrade to an espresso machine and grinder setup.

Not willing to break the bank at the moment as want to see if the machine/grinder combo will actually work with my hectic schedule and young family.

So after all that - I have my heart set on a Gaggia classic (SH) but am stuck on what grinder to get. Looking for entry level that will at least give a decent espresso grind so I can test out life with the Gaggia.

Wont be using the grinder for any other brewing methods if that helps?

So far have seen the below but didn’t know if this is a good place to start?

Budget is up to £100 SH.

- Gaggia MDF

- Sage Dose Control Pro

- Sage Smart Grinder Pro

- Baratza something?

- Iberital MC2

Thanks in advance!

When I started I got an MDF as there was one going mighty cheap on the bay. It made tasty coffee (after modding it to stepless so I could dial in properly) but was upgraded to a mignon mk2 within a year due to it's huge retention.

Think from that list, I'd get the SGP to use while I saved up for something better once the bug hits.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

1 hour ago, ashcroc said:

When I started I got an MDF as there was one going mighty cheap on the bay. It made tasty coffee (after modding it to stepless so I could dial in properly) but was upgraded to a mignon mk2 within a year due to it's huge retention.

Think from that list, I'd get the SGP to use while I saved up for something better once the bug hits.

Thanks - although you had to upgrade, you could get espresso grind from the MDF?

And can you make the mods to step less  without buying parts?

Thanks - although you had to upgrade, you could get espresso grind from the MDF?
And can you make the mods to step less  without buying parts?
Yeah espresso grind was possible. The stepless mod is just removing a pin & wrapping the thread with ptfe tape (google gaggia mdf stepless mod to find instructions). It's completely reversible.
The main problem is the retention being almost impossible to clear due to the finger gaurd getting in rhe way & the doser doesn't clean sweep either wich doesn't help either.
20 years ago they were alot more common simply because there wasn't much available in a domestic size so people accepted their limitations. Thankfully things have come a long way since the turn of the millennium.

17 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Yeah espresso grind was possible. The stepless mod is just removing a pin & wrapping the thread with ptfe tape (google gaggia mdf stepless mod to find instructions). It's completely reversible.
The main problem is the retention being almost impossible to clear due to the finger gaurd getting in rhe way & the doser doesn't clean sweep either wich doesn't help either.
20 years ago they were alot more common simply because there wasn't much available in a domestic size so people accepted their limitations. Thankfully things have come a long way since the turn of the millennium.

Why would you choose the SGP over MDF?

Why would you choose the SGP over MDF?

The SGP has been designed to be on demand & has a timer (in 0.2 second intervals) so you can pretty much set the grind time to get your dose. The MDF on the other hand has been designed as a shrunk down commercial unit of the time where occasionally you grind more coffee to refill the doser. That's fine in a commercial environment with a high enough turnover for the ground coffee not to go stale but not great in a domestic setting. Sure you can get around it by constantly 'thwacking' the lever as you're grinding, thumping the grinder on the work surface at about 45°(or cutting the finger guard off to get a brush/cocktail stick to the exit shute from the grind chamber & brushing out the doser, but it's an annoying extra step that'll slow you down & get old quick. If you have the space for it, you could probably get a 2nd hand commercial grinder for the same price (especially if you're able to collect) which will give a better grind due to it's bigger burrs.

All electric grinders at this budget will suffer renention (the cheapest zero retention option is pretty much the Niche at £500. They come up 2nd hand occasionally for not much less than new) so you'll want to purge a small amount if not used for a few hours whatever you decide upon.

Thanks for the help.

Ive just purchased a Gaggia Classic and Sage Smart Grinder Pro (all 2nd hand) and it should be arriving this week.

Perfect timing for weekend practice!