Sparkyx

Monolith Conical/Flat with EK43 to trade

I know this is a long shot but if anyone has a Monolith Conical or Flat they're willing to trade for a 2016 EK43 then I'm patiently waiting.

A little about the EK; It was bought new in late 2016, the burr carrier was sent to Titus to be properly aligned. (fixed burr is < 10um)

It's running new style coffee burrs and has only be used domestically. Also included is automatic volumetric dosing tool.

Willing to add cash on top for a Flat.

Londinium R - KafaTek Monolith Conical - Versalab M3

The latest batch of Conical shipped recently so I expect they may be some coming up for sale if the new grinders are coming to replace the old.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

@Sparkyx  I note from responses in another 'wanted' thread that you appear to have interest in your EK43 and therefore would consider an outright purchase of a Monolith Conical.

Today I was fortunate to take delivery of a KafaTek MC3 so, I will be selling my Aug 2017 MC1 and associated accessories as described below.

Upright Monolith Conical - Superb condition

68mm TiN coated burrs - Removable safety Hopper  - Wenge wooden cap to fit the open hopper

Tall dosing funnel to fit 58mm basket

3-web adjustable levelling tool  -  WDT tool - RDT spray bottle 

Grind chamber puffer - 240v power cable  

A quality, purpose designed, single dosing grinder which has had throughput of approx 45kg beans

Photos can be provided if requested or, any inspection welcome.

I am wanting £1,850 -  collected or with a mutually agreeable rendezvous for handover

I consider it reasonable that by responding to your 'wanted' thread I give you first option on the above.  However, if you choose to decline or do not respond within 48 hours of this post then I will put the grinder on open sale via the For Sale sub-forum.

• Like 4

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

15 minutes ago, Snakehips said:

@Sparkyx  I note from responses in another 'wanted' thread that you appear to have interest in your EK43 and therefore would consider an outright purchase of a Monolith Conical.

Today I was fortunate to take delivery of a KafaTek MC3 so, I will be selling my Aug 2017 MC1 and associated accessories as described below.

Upright Monolith Conical - Superb condition

68mm TiN coated burrs - Removable safety Hopper  - Wenge wooden cap to fit the open hopper

Tall dosing funnel to fit 58mm basket

3-web adjustable levelling tool  -  WDT tool - RDT spray bottle 

Grind chamber puffer - 240v power cable  

A quality, purpose designed, single dosing grinder which has had throughput of approx 45kg beans

Photos can be provided if requested or, any inspection welcome.

I am wanting £1,850 -  collected or with a mutually agreeable rendezvous for handover

I consider it reasonable that by responding to your 'wanted' thread I give you first option on the above.  However, if you choose to decline or do not respond within 48 hours of this post then I will put the grinder on open sale via the For Sale sub-forum.

Hi Snakehips,

First of all, many thanks for taking the time to respond to this post. I am certainly interested in buying your MC1. That's dependant on whether a sale is agreed on my EK. 

Out of curiosity, what are the key differences between the MC1 and MC3?

Alex

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Alex,  thank you for showing a positive interest.

The major aesthetic difference is that the MC3 is inclined whereas the MC1 is vertical. The MC3 is therefore, shorter by about 1.25" but is 1.75" deeper, overall, front to back.

MC3 has 71mm burrs as opposed to 68mm in MC1  However, that refers to the outside diameter - The cutting surfaces are the same

MC1 has a thumbscrew clamp to lock the grind adjustment barrel.  MC3 adjusts freely yet locks automatically.  By what means, I do not yet know.

MC3 magnetic chute is slightly shorter. That plus the inclination will likely aid grinds clearance.  However MC1 grinds clearance is not an issue.

MC3 grinds fall more centrally into the pf basket than with MC1   But again MC1 is just not an issue.

On MC1, I can stir grinds, if I wish, while grinding.  The inclination of the MC3 inhibits this slightly.

MC3 safety hopper has more taper and larger aperture.  Arguably easier to load beans.  As a consequence there is an internal baffle to prevent pop-corning. Also a sweep arm to combat sticking beans if folk feel the need to use RDT (I don't) and are too liberal with it.    Neither have been an issue when using the MC1

Both can be used without the safety hoppers if you are prepared to take the risk of losing a finger.

MC3 appears to be grinding noticeably slower than MC1 at the moment.  I believe MC1 grinds at 140 rpm and MC3 at 120rpm.

MC1 retains next to nothing and is very simple to clean when the occasion arrises.  I'm sure MC3 will prove to be equally as good.

Both, in my opinion, are pleasantly 'steam punk', provide for a simple and effective routine and, the build quality shines through. 

Sadly, what makes the Monoliths desirable also conspires to make them hard to get hold of, either secondhand or new.

Hope that helps.

IMG_1443.thumb.png.e5dfec2b9093db0b7b4d3a3973907a4f.png

Edited by Snakehips
  • Like 5

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

@Snakehips, thank you very much for the very detailed reply. To abide by the forum rules I would like to offer you the full £1,850 you're asking, subject to the sale of my EK.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sparkyx said:

@Snakehips, thank you very much for the very detailed reply. To abide by the forum rules I would like to offer you the full £1,850 you're asking, subject to the sale of my EK.

@Sparkyx, thank you.  I'm pleased to accept your offer and look forward to finalising by PM in due course

Thanks to @Sparkyx for a very smooth transaction.

Enjoy the MonConOne!

Thanks to [mention=17174]Sparkyx[/mention] for a very smooth transaction.
Enjoy the MonConOne!

I should be the one thanking you!
You went above and beyond in explains the ins and outs of the machine in great detail. I’m over the moon with the MC1 so thank you very much!
  • Like 3

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)