MildredM

Do NOT Stand Over Your Lever - not EVER

If you want to know what a bomb going off in your kitchen sounds like then simply pop your portafilter into your lever machine, making sure not to tighten it much at all, pull the lever down and wait for first drips then release the lever and BANG 😳😳😳🥵💨

The consequences could have been very different and painful had Ian's chin been in the line of the lever arm. Thankfully it wasn’t (I’ve drummed it into him and anyone who will listen to never, ever, ever stand over the lever) and nothing was broken, amazingly. 

Please feel free to copy in anyone who has uses a lever machine @FaceandEdge @PPapa Etc 🙂

07DDCAF4-1D69-4E1C-A4F9-10368DDE5806.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

7F8A9390-79E7-474D-911B-74CE9FF6A8C6.jpeg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

2 minutes ago, MildredM said:

7F8A9390-79E7-474D-911B-74CE9FF6A8C6.jpeg

Oh no..🤯.... How is the Thuya handle ☹️..

• Haha 1

Oh no! Everyone ok I hope? Just a bit shook up?

I remember Conti Chris on the forum day warning us of lever injuries. Potentially very dangerous.

• Like 1

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Oh no...... How is the Thuya handle ..

It leapt out of the way to safety in an instant
  • Like 2

Oh no! Everyone ok I hope? Just a bit shook up?

I remember Conti Chris on the forum day warning us of lever injuries. Potentially very dangerous.

I felt like my brain had been reset. Ian had PTSD
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MildredM said:

I felt like my brain had been reset. Ian had PTSD emoji58.png

From the little incident .. or your reaction 🥴

• Like 1

Well that eliminates a lever machine for the ship.

1) Most crew never follow safety warnings.

2) I don’t want the additional paperwork. Already have to do method statements and risk assessments.

3) I’d look ridiculous wearing all the appropriate PPE just to make an  Espresso 😂

Thankfully you only got a fright and no Injuries 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Stupid is as stupid does :D:D:D

Next steps:

- stitch up a yellow warning towel saying "FASTEN PORTAFILTER AT ALL TIMES"
- an orange carpet mat with a thick line on it an the wording "MIND THE SPRING LEVER" and
- a red cupboard door sticker that reads "KEEP CALM AND CLEAN CUPBOARDS"

:exit:

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

• Like 2

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

2 hours ago, MildredM said:

If you want to know what a bomb going off in your kitchen sounds like then simply pop your portafilter into your lever machine, making sure not to tighten it much at all, pull the lever down and wait for first drips then release the lever and BANG 😳😳😳🥵💨

The consequences could have been very different and painful had Ian's chin been in the line of the lever arm. Thankfully it wasn’t (I’ve drummed it into him and anyone who will listen to never, ever, ever stand over the lever) and nothing was broken, amazingly. 

Please feel free to copy in anyone who has uses a lever machine @FaceandEdge @PPapa Etc 🙂

07DDCAF4-1D69-4E1C-A4F9-10368DDE5806.jpeg

Wow, looks messy, glad all ok and nobody was hurt.

• Like 1

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

I did the same thing only last week.  Two things I can confirm :

It goes with a right old bang 

and

It makes a serious mess

In my case, when the pf hit the scales it sent a notneurtal cup to its untimely death.

• Confused 1

a grinder a lever and some beans

Posted (edited)

It's in the manual to be fair... in what has to be the best diagram I've ever come across.

I think those star-looking-things are supposed to be teeth. Would make some nice wall art above the machine.

5h532H4.png

Edited by Mister_Tad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

1 hour ago, working dog said:

I did the same thing only last week.  Two things I can confirm :

It goes with a right old bang 

and

It makes a serious mess

In my case, when the pf hit the scales it sent a notneurtal cup to its untimely death.

I was trying to remember who’d had the same misfortune recently . . . The bang and the mess! YES!!

50 minutes ago, Mister_Tad said:

It's in the manual to be fair... in what has to be the best diagram I've ever come across.

I think those star-looking-things are supposed to be teeth. Would make some nice wall art above the machine.

5h532H4.png

Above, in front, behind and before use every time - perfect!!!

Fortunately just mess.... I guess the recipe notes  read 18g in 50g out, (but not in the cup) in about 1 second.

I'd say at a guess taste notes say under-extracted but over-everything. :good:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Agentb said:

Fortunately just mess.... I guess the recipe notes  read 18g in 50g out, (but not in the cup) in about 1 second.

I'd say at a guess taste notes say under-extracted but over-everything. :good:

Way under 1s . . . It was INSTANT 😳

Don't even mention distribution......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MildredM said:

Way under 1s . . . It was INSTANT 😳

Don't even mention distribution......

That could be spun for marketing purposes.

"Londinium: for INSTANT and TOTAL extraction, with perfectly even distribution  (all over your kitchen)"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

I was trying to remember who’d had the same misfortune recently . . . The bang and the mess! YES!!

Didn’t one member do this a while back and ended up with teeth marks on the lever handle. It’s on here somewhere.

Scary stuff. Glad you’re okay.
  • Like 1

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

This is only a problem when folk don’t use the machine properly, although when it does happen it is a bit of a shocker

AKA Toffee chips

Didn’t one member do this a while back and ended up with teeth marks on the lever handle. It’s on here somewhere.

Scary stuff. Glad you’re okay.

Oh aye it was me last December and I still have a scar inside the lip. Nothing visible though and all teeth are intact.

I had a bit of PTSD (I know, I know, it’s not a right term!) and did contemplate about selling it for a pump machine. So happy I stuck with it!
  • Like 2

God, for the longest time I thought this thread was titled "Do not stand on your lever ever" and was really wondering what you guys get up to with lever machines. Took until that pictorial of the lever hitting the bloke/blokette with stars for teeth for me to realise it said "over", not "on".

I need a coffee

• Like 1

Lucky escape from something nasty 

• Like 1

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Glad no one was hurt. on the plus side don't think Ian will ever stand over the lever again☺️

• Like 1

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge