igm45

Aeropress which method do you use?

As I walked to work this morning I felt it was time for an AP change. It seems I tried a few when techniques I first got the AP but settled on one and haven’t tried any others for a long time.

My method is 12g coffee, 220 ml water, insert plunger in then lift to secure a vacuum. Steep for 2 minutes, plunger out 2 min 30 seconds drip through, final 30 seconds of gently depression of the plunger until you hear hissing at around 5 minutes.

What are your ‘go to’ methods?

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Posted (edited)

I really enjoy this method, not quite as strong as the coffee I was getting from the traditional method. 

Will give your method a go though. 

Edited by garethuk

I'm back on the Aeropress for a while as I don't have my Pavoni with me. Having failed miserably in the past to make a decent cup things are improving.

My current method is:

15g coffee,

Aergrind setting 1.9, boil kettle then lift the lid to get it to cool faster.

Inverted method, 200ml of water, stir 10times straight away. I'm sure the number of stirs makes no difference but don't listen to me I'm crap at this.

Leave for 1 minute from when I stopped pouring the water.

Flip onto cup and press down. The lower the temp the better it tastes.

In the past I've tried steeps of 30 min and everything in between and nothing worked for me although following a 75g to 1Litre ratio seems to make sense which I didn't do before.

Inverted. 17 grams. 85c degrees.  30 second bloom. Stir. Fill Aeropress to the top. At 2:00 stir again. At 2:20-2:30 press.  I don't get so technical as to weighing anything but the coffee as I use mine on the go a lot and a scale is just too much. However, I feel if you use it enough you don't need a scale and can just eyeball what you're doing.

Posted (edited)

Hello! I use the "normal" method. 

I like my coffee flavoursome and quite strong. I usually put 14 to 15g of freshly ground coffee. 

I pour my water to Level 2, stir a bit and wait around 15 seconds. Then I add my water to level 4 and close with the plunger (making a suction effet to avoid big drips). I wait around 40 seconds before slowly pressing down to get my coffee. 

I use an E&B lab permanent filter.  

Then it all definitely depends on the coffee you use. I now live in France and my favourite right now is  La Bolsa from Cafés Lugat. It is very aromatic. A real treat!    

Edited by Ladycoffeegeek

I grind 28g of medium to light roast beans to a very fine grind (3 on an original version Gaggia MDF which is finer than Illy pre-ground espresso)

I add water at 85C up to the 4 on the AeroPress and stir.

Then I gently insert the plunger but don't bother to pull it back slightly and leave it for at least four minutes.  I stir again and then plunge forcefully - which is really hard work.

To finish I add hot water and a small amount of milk to my mug to give me a pint of coffee.

If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat.

Spiders on coffee

I grind 28g of medium to light roast beans to a very fine grind (3 on an original version Gaggia MDF which is finer than Illy pre-ground espresso)

I add water at 85C up to the 4 on the AeroPress and stir.

Then I gently insert the plunger but don't bother to pull it back slightly and leave it for at least four minutes.  I stir again and then plunge forcefully - which is really hard work.

To finish I add hot water and a small amount of milk to my mug to give me a pint of coffee.

Try plunging with a more gentle pressure. Pressing forcefully tends to block the filter making it harder. There's a vid somewhere on YouTube with the creator just leaning his arm on it while he chats along!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

@igm45 tried the method you mentioned above, it was very nice!, a good clean cup

Have you tried it with a getting a larger final output? 

How goes your Aeropress experiments?

The instructions on the Crankhouse coffee website for AP works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aldi instant

Will blow the dust off my AP and try CH later on this week.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)