DDoe

Shot size

There's something confusing me (actually there are a LOT of things that confuse me but, one thing at a time 😁). It concerns the size of a shot of espresso in relation to the weight of beans.

On here it seems most use somewhere in the region of 17g of beans and pull a shot of around 30g or so. Surely 30g in the cup is a single shot not a double but the 17g of beans is the sort of weight used to make a double shot.

What am I missing? Has my maths really deteriorated that much? Have I got totally the wrong end of the stick? Please help.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

No need to worry. A double shot is made using a double basket and can be any size you want. 

Styles and definitions have moved on alot since a double shot was, had to be 2oz of espresso made with 14g of coffee. 

A double doesnt have to be anything other than tasty and made with a nominal double basket. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Shot ratios have generally got shorter towards the restretto end of the spectrum since the rise of milk drinks. There's no right or wrong though. If you prefer a 1:3 or 1-4 ratio with the beans you're using instead of the 'supposedly magical' 1:2 then keep doing what you're doing.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

If we are gonna use names then 1:2 is normale. Your 1:4 is lungo way

Me I call ma drink Derek 

• Like 2

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

23 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

If we are gonna use names then 1:2 is normale. Your 1:4 is lungo way

Me I call ma drink Derek 

I'd like to congratulate you on your new coffee.....

(I am sure you used to drink Trevors)

• Like 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

OK. I can understand that as long as the taste suits it doesn't matter what it's called, and ending up with something you like is the most important thing. What I'm finding hard to wrap my head around is if using twice as much coffee to water ratio how is full extraction happening.

Am I overthinking things and need to just accept that 17g coffee to 35g shot in around 25 seconds IS WHAT WORKS!

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, DDoe said:

OK. I can understand that as long as the taste suits it doesn't matter what it's called, and ending up with something you like is the most important thing. What I'm finding hard to wrap my head around is if using twice as much coffee to water ratio how is full extraction happening.

Am I overthinking things and need to just accept that 17g coffee to 35g shot in around 25 seconds IS WHAT WORKS!

It only works if your grind is fine enough, without causing channelling/stopping the puck from fully permeating. Some can get a full extraction at 1:1.5 or less. That said, it is not something that universally "just works", as you can see by any number of posts in any number of forums where people are confused because their shots don't taste how they want - despite being 1:2 in 30-40s.

Brew ratio is dependent on useable grind size, so if your shots are sour at 1:2 & going finer chokes the machine, go longer on the ratio. Go as long as you need to for a tasty shot, but if this gets too weak by the time you achieve it, look at your prep (grinding into a cup/pot & transferring to PF, checking grounds weight in the PF, good distribution in the basket before tamping, tamping flat & even) & if that doesn't work, look at your grinder.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 3

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

What's a full extraction?

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

11 hours ago, jlarkin said:

What's a full extraction?

I suppose for me, as a real novice, it means the good tasting bit we're after in the cup. There's probably a better term for this so apologies for any confusion.

Things are on the up.

21 hours ago, DDoe said:

I suppose for me, as a real novice, it means the good tasting bit we're after in the cup. There's probably a better term for this so apologies for any confusion.

Things are on the up.

No need to apologise, I just wondered what it meant to you. Glad things are on the up 👍

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com