DDoe

Tamping pressure?

Hi all, I could do with a bit of help with tamping please. How do I know if I'm tamping too hard or too light?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DDoe said:

Hi all, I could do with a bit of help with tamping please. How do I know if I'm tamping too hard or too light?

Thanks.

You don't need to worry. 

Press until you feel the coffee compress, it doesn't need to be an exact pressure each time. 

Getting it level and the coffee even before tamping, is way more Important than a nominal pressure. 

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thank you Mrboots.

That's one thing that isn't causing the sour taste in my shot then 🤣.

I've got such a lot to learn. I borrowed a set of small scales today so will now be weighing both beans and shot to try and get that sorted, hopefully this will enable me to dial in the grinder.

Once I can produce a decent shot it's on to milk frothing.....simples! 

Possibly the best video on tamping, others may differ, but I found it really useful...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnieoHAGlds

This is well worth reading through if you haven't already...http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/tamping

Hope this helps

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Here’s a bit more reading for you

http:// https://baristahustle.com/blog/how-hard-should-you-tamp/

Along with the Chris Baca video above ^^^^^^^^ reading this made me stop overthinking tamp pressure

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Just popped in quickly to say thanks for the links guys, not had time to read/watch yet but will do.

I weighed my beans today and used the mignon as single dose. The coffee was less sour than before but I think I need to grind a bit finer as the dose only took 17 seconds to pull. It's onwards and upwards from here, I feel this was progress.

My tamping is still a bit uneven but there could be a reason for this. I fractured my wrist, along with tendon and cartlidge damage, in October and it's still a bit on the clunky side.

Hard tamping it’s the reason many ppl get channeling, it’s a game between grind size, quantity and tamp pressures as the best result comes when ideal balance has been achieved. Changing one variable at a time is the most and keep in mind that if you haven’t the right blend whatever you do and whatever equipment you have will never produce a nice looking and tasty coffee. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tonino said:

Hard tamping it’s the reason many ppl get channeling, it’s a game between grind size, quantity and tamp pressures as the best result comes when ideal balance has been achieved. Changing one variable at a time is the most and keep in mind that if you haven’t the right blend whatever you do and whatever equipment you have will never produce a nice looking and tasty coffee. 

Respectfully Disagree , where is the evidence that backs that up ?

What is hard ? When does tamping become too hard as to cause channeling not at 25lbs but at 26lbs ? , why it is not the more likely poor distribution of coffee in the basket or poor grinder ?

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 hour ago, DDoe said:

Just popped in quickly to say thanks for the links guys, not had time to read/watch yet but will do.

I weighed my beans today and used the mignon as single dose. The coffee was less sour than before but I think I need to grind a bit finer as the dose only took 17 seconds to pull. It's onwards and upwards from here, I feel this was progress.

My tamping is still a bit uneven but there could be a reason for this. I fractured my wrist, along with tendon and cartlidge damage, in October and it's still a bit on the clunky side.

Ok lets qualify this a bit more . 

17 seconds to make how much espresso in grams ? 

What was the dose ( in the portafiler not added to the grinder ) 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)

There was 17g in the portafiller.

I didn't weigh the shot but I used 2 shot glasses and both had pretty much 30mls each, just weighed this ammount of water and it was 60g. This seems a lot of espresso from 17g, however if it was a shorter shot it would have taken even less time.

Did the shot taste less sour because, being longer, it wasn't so under extracted?

Would I be right in thinking I need a finer grind and eventually pull a shorter shot?

Edited by DDoe
Correct spelling mistake

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DDoe said:

There was 17g in the portafiller.

I didn't weigh the shot but I used 2 shot glasses and both had pretty much 30mls each, just weighed this ammount of water and it was 60g. This seems a lot of espresso from 17g, however if it was a shorter shot it would have taken even less time.

Did the shot taste less sour because, being longer, it wasn't so under extracted?

Would I be right in thinking I need a finer grind and eventually pull a shorter shot?

17 g into 60 g is a weakish shot, dont try and define  if it's under and over extracted just focus on taste balance . 

17g into 60g will define the strength , so does it taste weaker than you would like ? 

Weigh as you pull the shot , this is why shot glasses can be misleading. 

Grind finer 

Taste , report back 

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

Cheers Mrboots.

It certainly was weaker than I would like.

The setting has been changed on the grinder.

I'll give weighing the shot a try. Any idea what sort of weight I should be aiming for? From looking on here it's not an exact formula but rough ballpark would be a good start.

Thanks.

Just now, DDoe said:

Cheers Mrboots.

It certainly was weaker than I would like.

The setting has been changed on the grinder.

I'll give weighing the shot a try. Any idea what sort of weight I should be aiming for? From looking on here it's not an exact formula but rough ballpark would be a good start.

Thanks.

If that shot was too weak aim for so 34-36g ish , in a roughish time frame of 25- 40 seconds . Again stop the shot by weight, taste , report back 

Instagram - rjw_inc

9 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

If that shot was too weak aim for so 34-36g ish , in a roughish time frame of 25- 40 seconds . Again stop the shot by weight, taste , report back 

Will do. I have to limit my coffee consumption so won't have another until this evening.

Just watched the youtube video, unsurprisingly I'm going about it the wrong way.

Thank you for your help. It's so hard to know where to start making changes.

It didn't go too well apart from tasting ok(ish).

Shot took about the same time, so actually slower than the last one as it was shorter by about 25g, but there was almost no crema.

Still getting the tamping a bit lopsided, wasn't helped by my slipping mid tamp. 

Tomorrow I'll try a finer grind and try to make a better job of the tamping 😁.

I think I'm getting close.

Tamping still a bit uneven (must work on holding the portafilla a bit straighter), shot time for a 35.something grams is now up in the 20+ seconds and a decent crema.

The coffee tasted fine, room for improvement but definately much nicer. Made hubby an Americano and he enjoyed it, if he hadn't he would not have spared my feelings.

Onwards and upwards.

Thank you very much for your help.

• Like 3

On 15/06/2019 at 20:55, DDoe said:

I think I'm getting close.

Tamping still a bit uneven (must work on holding the portafilla a bit straighter), shot time for a 35.something grams is now up in the 20+ seconds and a decent crema.

The coffee tasted fine, room for improvement but definately much nicer. Made hubby an Americano and he enjoyed it, if he hadn't he would not have spared my feelings.

Onwards and upwards.

Thank you very much for your help.

I’m with you here... early days, it can only get better!