Choffter

How to Blend?

Hi, I’m wondering if someone can help me understand this. In terms of blends, how do you go about this?

- how do you choose the beans? What works best?

- do you mix the green beans or roast then mix?

- and particular ratios?

Do beans have to be the same size / density?

Any information on this topic would be helpful.

Cheers!

@hasi should be able to give some insights here I think.

• Like 1

may need to @Hasi after a word or two for it to pick up the tag.

Generally  @Choffter you will get a better result blending post roast as each bean will have potentially been roasted to their ideal profile. Its not the end of the answer just a little step along the way.

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

may need to @Hasi after a word or two for it to pick up the tag.
Generally  @Choffter you will get a better result blending post roast as each bean will have potentially been roasted to their ideal profile. Its not the end of the answer just a little step along the way.
John

So just testing that@hasi now works?!!

And that’s a yes! Thanks for the education on tagging

Why are you blending? What is it you want to achieve? Might be worth asking these questions before you start.

Blends are mixes of different single origins, so presumably you are looking to achieve something that no one single origin can. So you want some characteristics from different origins.

Maybe something like Brazil, El Salvador, Indonesia for your bass notes. A fruity Ethiopian for a touch of acidity? Getting the right percentages will take experimentation and experience.

Personally I've not really tried blending in any serious way but I have found that a boring Brazilian can be transformed into something interesting by adding a touch of say a fruity natural. 5 to 10% is all that is required to do this. And yes, best done post roast as said above.

Here I am...

(chorus at 1:22)

Thanks guys!
Well... where do I begin - to tell the story of (which would lead straight into another musical reference)... blending? A few things have been mentioned already but let's dig a little deeper.

Why blend? There are multiple aspects:
Especially cheaper commodity coffee does not feature complexity, body, different distinctive and favourable taste notes a high quality speciality bean would bring to the cup.
In a commercial setting, you may face customers demand for the same taste year in year out. Here, variability in a blend can enable you to provide a stable cup profile across multiple crops (weather affects plant growth and therefore taste).
Also, adding Robusta beans can help adding crema and body, thus making it easier for unskilled personnel to serve an ok-ish cup of joe from a commercial coffee machine.

Ideally, you establish specific roast profiles from single origin beans you have selected through sample roasting and cupping before.

Choosing bean samples usually happens by talking to your importer about what they can offer, general regional dominance of certain taste notes and to the greatest extent based on experience.
Cupping should always follow a standardised pattern (e.g. the SCA cupping protocol) and a tight schedule to ensure comparability in results.
Profile roasting requires you to pull enough samples every n-seconds (e.g. n=30) to create a cupping sample from (on the Dalian Amazon that'll be like 4-5 triers full - each sample!). You start at the end of 1C, keeping an eye on RoR, pull samples at least until you hear the first second cracks into numbered/marked containers.
Cup everything at once so you can pour x spoons of coffee A and y spoons of coffee B etc into an empty cuo to arrive at the final recipe.

As always: make notes no matter what you do!

Any more questions, feel free to ask!
  • Like 2

That’s great @hasi really helpful information. I am just looking to see what I can do in the blend space. Now being new to roasting and the Dalian, I will not be rushing into blends but wanted an understanding.

I will take this advice on board and give you a shout if I have any more question.

Cheers again.

• Like 1