Posted (edited)

Hey guys, any suggestions for equipment to take with me while camping? I have the coffee percolator that I can use to brew coffee on the fireplace. I also am interested in buying a portable coffee maker that runs on electricity, like the ones here - link removed

Edited by The Systemic Kid
Advertising

Aeropress is worth considering. Light, portable and relatively cheap. Makes excellent coffee but not espresso. 

• Like 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

This was just a couple weekends ago, works a treat. If it's windy or chilly outdoors however, you can forget about flavour consistency.20190526_092706.jpg

• Like 5

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Funny enough I have been playing around with a few all in one devices, grinder brewer etc.. just for this kind of stuff. The device below is shown as assembled for transportation, broken down in various stages. It's a rechargeable grinder, brewer, insulated travel cup and also works as a normal steel twinwall vacuum insulated mug as well. It recharges via USB and grinds at least 6 times or more on one quick charge. You fill with beans, press a button and just leave it alone whilst it grinds then switches off automatically.

The filter is super fine and gives a hugely clean cup with pretty much no silt at all in the bottom. I will photo the bottom of my current cup when I have finished it. I have had a number of "devices" sent in a big box and none of them really hit the spot for me except this one....which actually works well.

tAuJSgotz6zrOAsuCU_ShUoxzw7-bIixu1vuJzw_

lxiLS0RoAYRSUsRQBTAEPwXoUZA_WsoIH4Skjw1P

N_TOp3tjMEuR_8Fkur1GrNGrhMLo_xfT7946cx2O

• Like 1

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Crem One 2B, ACS Vesuvius, Izzo Duetto MK1, ACS Minima, Lelit Bianca Prototype, Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, VDT Vibration thing: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Here is the end of the cup, like I said, really clean...no silt or silty taste. Purely down to how fine the filter is I guess.

_FM9cxt02Lz5yMygBqbdrVIK6nW93iePAMRZGFum

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Crem One 2B, ACS Vesuvius, Izzo Duetto MK1, ACS Minima, Lelit Bianca Prototype, Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, VDT Vibration thing: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

I’m impressed that the grinder can do the job with the kind of motor powered by a 5v battery, I’ve struggled in all my attempts to motorise hand grinders unless I’ve used a proper 14.4 volt drill set up. USB cordless screwdrivers never have the balls.

• Like 1

What is it@DaveCUK got a link? Looks interesting for holidays etc - easier to use than my Feldgrind and Aeropress

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

13 minutes ago, MrShades said:

What is it@DaveCUK got a link? Looks interesting for holidays etc - easier to use than my Feldgrind and Aeropress

I made a Video, worth a watch even though its 14 m long because I also verbalise my mental musings during the dead times we wait for grinding etc. I also didn't want to edit out the "experience" Not sure when/if it will be available. I think it should be stocked by BB as a trial, because it actually works quite well. I think good for camping, holidays, university, very small bedsits and people with big coffee ideas and long pockets with nothing much at the bottom.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrShades said:

It certainly looks like it might be, but if you want one, I would recommend waiting to see if Bella Barista import them....It's more than I thought, but then I have no idea of what the RRP would be. I use it quite often when I want a long brew and something I can sip slowly at the PC....Here is this mornings brew. A shorter 2 minute video this time. The thing I like most (if it can be sold at a reasonable price in the UK), it makes fresh proper coffee accessible to everyone. No matter how small your kitchen, how tight your budget, if you have a kettle and this....you can make great filter coffee. No excuses, no pre ground, no environmental issues, your choice of beans from good roasters. It's really not much more difficult than a spoon and a jar and takes up a similar amount of room.

Unlike other methods you also have a travel cup if you want it, something you can take camping, on holiday, to work or the mother in laws. If it didn't brew OK I certainly wouldn't drink what it produces.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

If you want go light, my top 3:
3. AeroPress. Good results, easy to use without scales, but bulky, need to discard paper and does serve only one purpose. Not a big fan of it while camping, but better than other traditional brewers (lots of folk already have AP).
2. Integrated French Press into a stove (such as MSR Windburner or Jetboil with French Press kits). Really like the set up as it’s super light addition to a current setup. Those stoves are a bit on heavier/pricier side and cleaning is annoying. French Press isn’t really my thing either. My go to for fast hiking overnighters.
1. GSI Java Drip. Ultra light, cheap, incredibly easy to clean and no paper waste. My favourite really, although somewhat trickier to pour in those subpar conditions. It’s also not the easiest to pack as it’s rather fragile. My go to for multi day trips where I might swap MSR Windburner to a lighter cookset.

I don’t pack a grinder anymore as vacuum sealing individual doses seems to do the trick. I live the moment rather than have the best coffee of my life.

IMG_0458.jpg

• Like 4

However, if you want to go heavy; Rocket PortaVia https://rocket-espresso.com/portavia.html matched to an ultra quiet Badnams generator.

I admit that the combination is hernia inducing, but in the world of Top Trumps......

Rocket R9 One - LaMarzocco GS3 - Rocket Porta Via - VA Mythos One - Mythos PuqPress - Eureka Atom 75mm - Acaia Lunar Scale - Kruve Sieves - Espro Convex Tamper (30lbs click) - VST baskets - IMS screens - Motta Stainless Milk Pitchers - Akira Beam Heater - Hario Next Syphon - Chemex 8 Classic & an ever growing collection of coffee making accessories that I don't use often, none more ridiculous than the Hario 'minifon'.

On 07/06/2019 at 11:03, The Systemic Kid said:

Aeropress is worth considering. Light, portable and relatively cheap. Makes excellent coffee but not espresso. 

thanks, they dont break easily in travel bags, do they?

7 minutes ago, jonuk said:

thanks, they dont break easily in travel bags, do they?

Aeropress(-es? What's the plural of aeropress 😅) are very robust. 

ECM Heidelberg Mechanika IV Profi // Niche Zero

51 minutes ago, catpuccino said:

What's the plural of aeropress 😅

Aeroprix?? Aeropressi??  

Pretty bombroof so unlikely to come to harm in a travel bag.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

As long as you aren’t hammering tent pegs with it, you’ll be fine...

I weight small bags of ground coffee (vacuum packed of course) to dose and fill the plunger of my Aeropress with them and use one of the caps that they make for it. I also use a metal filter so I don't have to carry extra filters. Don't need a kettle, just use a pot.  Works great. Besides, even bad coffee is appreciated in the cool of the outdoor mornings. 

• Like 1