thephinn

Mazzer Super Jolly with a bit of character

I offer for your consideration today a Mazzer SJ. Selling as I upgraded to a Ceado 37S a few months ago. While it's been fun having 2 grinders around, this has to stop before I get too used to it! :)

For background, I bought this off eBay 2.5 years ago. It was in a messy condition externally, and was missing a few parts. However, the internals were sound and I was going to use it for single dosing anyway, so the lack of a hopper and doser lid was a non-issue.

There are a few points I want to get out of the way first:

• No hopper, will include the camera lens hood that I've been using for single dosing though
  • No doser lid
  • No grind adjustment lever (haven't found this an issue since the adjustment threads are in excellent condition)
  • Paint chipping in a couple of places (all of these are reflected in the photos)
  • The power cord has some paint stains on it, haven't bothered to try if these would come off with the right solution.
  • I have intentionally snapped off the security pin on the star screw holding the bottom plate, so that it doesn't require a special security bit to open.
  • Having a hard time locating the original bottom screws for the doser, so selling under the assumption that they are not included.

Given the above, this particular SJ is naturally better suited for someone looking to single dose, as in this case only the grind adjustment lever is an inconvenience.

Now for the positive parts - I replaced the burrs when I bought the machine, so they are in excellent condition and have had about 30kg through them. This is likely an overestimation but I want to be on the safe side. I've routinely switched the burrs around when cleaning so the wear should be very even. The bearings seem to be in good condition, judging by the lack of odd sounds or vibrations when grinding. Overall I've had no issues with the grinder whatsoever, and in my judgement have taken good care of it. Paired excellently with my Europiccola until I got upgraditis.

I have done my normal cleaning routine just today, also regreased the dosing mechanism though I haven't used it. The only part I'm unable to clean is under the vanes as I don't have the right tools to disassemble them. The bit under the lower burr carrier was last cleaned when I bought the grinder, as it is a slightly risky maneuver and quite frankly I didn't find that much under there back then compared to the rest of the burr chamber.

Price £160 with collection from central London. Offers accepted. Pricing to sell quickly before I go on holiday June 20th. If the grinder doesn't sell by then (meaning sold and collected), I will have to hold off on the sale until I return from holiday in August.

Cash on collection, PayPal, or bank transfer fine. If desired, you are welcome to test the grinder when collecting. Alternatively happy to meet you halfway within reason.

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

Top.jpg

Inside.jpg

Top_burr.jpg

Bottom_burr.jpg

Back_paint_chip.jpg

Timer_paint_chip.jpg

Paint_chips.jpg

Edit: Whoopsee! It's quite obvious from the photos where the doser's bottom screws had gone - I had mixed them up with the portafilter holder screws for reasons unknown to mankind. I've fixed the issue and now all the original screws are included and in their appropriate places, see photos.

Doser screws.jpg

Holder screws.jpg

I can’t see the model year sticker in the photos - has it got one? Thanks.  

Whereabouts in central London are you?
Based in The City, EC4M to be specific.

I can’t see the model year sticker in the photos - has it got one? Thanks.  
Unfortunately not. The eBay seller had it listed as an "early 2000s" model but I have no idea what he was basing this on since the sticker was missing.

Happy to send more pics if there are specific details that might help us narrow down the year.
  • Like 1

From what I have read elsewhere on the forum if the power cable comes out of the side of the casing it is a pre-2002 model. I can’t really tell from the photos if this is the case with your model. 

If it is early 2000’s I was really looking for a more recent model, although yours does look in good shape. 

At least the chassis was made Dec '02 if I'm interpreting the stamp correctly.

Apologies for not including that in the original post, appreciate that it's quite a key detail.

Stamp.jpg

At least the chassis was made Dec '02 if I'm interpreting the stamp correctly.
Apologies for not including that in the original post, appreciate that it's quite a key detail.
Stamp.thumb.jpg.5dc0f2584c4d3c21c1e8abbe6bafbcce.jpg
It's probably an early 03 machine then.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Bump, price drop to £140 if we can get the sale done within a week.

Posted (edited)

If you look at the power cable (assuming it's original), it will have a time and date stamp on it....which will pretty much be the date of manufacture + or minus 3 months or so. More accurate than the stamp on the casting.

Or at least this always used to be the case.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

2 hours ago, DavecUK said:

If you look at the power cable (assuming it's original), it will have a time and date stamp on it....which will pretty much be the date of manufacture + or minus 3 months or so. More accurate than the stamp on the casting.

Or at least this always used to be the case.

By the power vested in me by tribal knowledge, I declare this to be a mid to late 2003 model.

Again, I have no way to confirm the cord is original though, but 22/07/2003 would fit the overall picture.

IMG_20190612_175408.jpg

By the power not particularly invested in me but I'll make you an offer,  I was thinking £100 plus postage,  but you may have countered with a part way suggestion,  so £110 plus postage,  for that price I can justify it to put into place an idea I have in mind,  I do already have one of these that's totally complete in every way,  with the doser (Not for me) and the extended forks and tamper accessory so I'm not keen on committing surgery on it,  but a unit that is already devoid of certain bits I could be tempted without anaesthetic.

If you accept drop me a PM to confirm .........  All open and above board ...... I think..... 🤔.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

18 hours ago, xpresso said:

By the power not particularly invested in me but I'll make you an offer,  I was thinking £100 plus postage,  but you may have countered with a part way suggestion,  so £110 plus postage,  for that price I can justify it to put into place an idea I have in mind,  I do already have one of these that's totally complete in every way,  with the doser (Not for me) and the extended forks and tamper accessory so I'm not keen on committing surgery on it,  but a unit that is already devoid of certain bits I could be tempted without anaesthetic.

If you accept drop me a PM to confirm .........  All open and above board ...... I think..... 🤔.

Jon.

@thephinn

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

If you accept drop me a PM to confirm .........  All open and above board ...... I think..... .

Jon.
Apologies for delayed reply.

Thanks for your offer, it's not far off from what I would accept. However I think for the time being I would prefer to avoid the extra hassle of postage, so I'll at least wait until the weekend to see if any Londoners are interested.

I am intrigued about your frankenjolly plans though. :D

30 minutes ago, thephinn said:

Apologies for delayed reply.

Thanks for your offer, it's not far off from what I would accept. However I think for the time being I would prefer to avoid the extra hassle of postage, so I'll at least wait until the weekend to see if any Londoners are interested.

I am intrigued about your frankenjolly plans though. :D

I like the 'FrankenJolly' tag,  but you're not to far away from the truth and hopefully this link will show one of my duberries .........

With the Forum change around I never to sure what I'm doing so try it,   I pass some of my time with scrap metal or wooden pallets,  hence a very tight budget when considering an idea,  not that I've sold anything,  at the moment just a retirement pastime.

Taking ownership of a S J when buying a second machine  as a deal,  it was in to good a condition to operate on,  so in reality I know the Jolly and it would be receptive to my current thoughts.

Like yourself I will shortly be away,  hopefully the end of this month and not back till later in the year and appreciating your absence ??,  but I understand not being keen on packaging.

Jon.  

On 13/06/2019 at 15:20, xpresso said:

I like the 'FrankenJolly' tag,  but you're not to far away from the truth and hopefully this link will show one of my duberries .........

With the Forum change around I never to sure what I'm doing so try it,   I pass some of my time with scrap metal or wooden pallets,  hence a very tight budget when considering an idea,  not that I've sold anything,  at the moment just a retirement pastime.

Taking ownership of a S J when buying a second machine  as a deal,  it was in to good a condition to operate on,  so in reality I know the Jolly and it would be receptive to my current thoughts.

Like yourself I will shortly be away,  hopefully the end of this month and not back till later in the year and appreciating your absence ??,  but I understand not being keen on packaging.

Jon.  

Touche !!

Jon.

Touche !!
Jon.

Sorry, just looked your link now in detail, that looks truly amazing!! :) Didn't mean to ignore it but had a bit of a hectic week..

Bumping to the top, I've now returned to London so the grinder is now again up for grabs! :)

And I'm still away, good luck with the sale..

Jon.

@thephinn

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, would you take 115 cash collected from London if it’s still available?
Apologies for late reply, yes I will accept that. I'll PM to arrange pickup.

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)