Ryan_W

Hi All! New to all this...

Hi all,

Loved coffee for years but only seriously for the past couple of years.

Living in SW London, I'm spoilt for great coffee shops, but have recently bought myself a Sage Barista Pro to use at home.

Bought a Motta 53mm tamp and 2 of their milk jugs, a great upgrade compared to the standard Sage kit.

My local coffee shop uses Monmouth beans, so I've order 8x 250g bags from their website (all different beans) to try some out.

Have found THE one yet, and not really sure what I like. Generally a sweeter, smoother bean opposed to a sharp acidic one.

I've just ordered some beans from Origin Coffee to see how they compare.

Will keep it short and get reading!

Cheers,

Ryan 

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

Welcome.

I would recommend keeping some of those beans frozen so that they don't go stale.

Make sure they all get a good rest period aswell before trying. Normally 7-10 days, but all beans vary. So be mindful of that.

And enjoy....

Machine - Vesuvius. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Never knew about the rest periods required!... Have also found that new beans (straight out the packet and into the hopper) take a while to get dialled in. I've wasted numerous coffees fiddling with grind settings trying to get a nice 25-30s pour for a double (19g) shot.

It's always after a few days that I can turn the grind settings down (from around 16 to 7) and get a nice pour.

As stated, I'm very new to this! Lets not even get started on latte art and milk steaming lol.

That's the reason why. Beans need to gas off and the first few days post roast will be very hard to dial in as it will be changing day to day. They will also not taste their best.

Give it a few days then try again. See if your local shop have some bags of beans that are not newly roasted.

You may find if they are bought from a shoo they may actually be almost past their best. The bean may have a best before date but I would discard that. Anything beyond a month or so can be pushing it. But again all beans are different and I have drank many a bean after a month and it's still tasted good to me.

Machine - Vesuvius. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

So I’ve just opened some Monmouth ‘Finca Don Carlos’ beans (best before 24 Jul 19).

How do I let these rest? In the hopper or just open in the packet?

Cheers

Couple of things,

They rest in the bag. Sealed. The bags have a valve built in.

If you are out of beans feel free to use them unrested. They taste fine, just act a bit unpredictable (rates of extraction) until they settle down. 

Ve ve suvivius.... /Pending grinder changes / Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

So I’ve just opened some Monmouth ‘Finca Don Carlos’ beans (best before 24 Jul 19).
How do I let these rest? In the hopper or just open in the packet?
Cheers
Is there a 'roasted on' date as well as a best before date?

The Monmouth bags don’t have a valve, my other brands have had this. 

No roasted on date either, just a best before. 

The Monmouth bags don’t have a valve, my other brands have had this. 
No roasted on date either, just a best before. 
I'd probably look for some other beans then to be honest. It doesn't matter how good your kit is, without decent quality beans you'll struggle to get any decent output.

I've bought some Origin beans:

La Huella 

Buganza Lot 10 

Resolute 

Hoping these will be of a better quality. Have also been looking at the Coffee Compass beans. Just trying out lots of types and narrowing down my preferred taste. 

Cheers!

I've bought some Origin beans:
La Huella 
Buganza Lot 10 
Resolute 
Hoping these will be of a better quality. Have also been looking at the Coffee Compass beans. Just trying out lots of types and narrowing down my preferred taste. 
Cheers!
Always worth trying a few different styles. Just remember that if you're new to it all the dialling in of a bean may take you longer. So switching between beans may make it even more difficult. I would practise with one. Get it somewhere near and go from there. Then start over with another.

When you get a bit better at dialling in then I would switch between beans and brew styles.