Which Theme To Make Default?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Theme To Make Default For Guests & Members?

• Light Roast
    • Dark Roast

There will always be an option to change to your preference.

40 minutes ago, Tait said:

There will always be an option to change to your preference.

Are they functionally identical... just colour changes?

If so............. WGAS.....

If not............ Errrrrrrr should they be?

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

All the themes do for me is change the colour of the margin around the edge of the screen,

barely makes any difference at all if I’m in landscape,,,,,if I’m in portrait it does nothing,,nothing

BFC996A1-7ED9-401A-A047-50D557F6D365.jpeg

They are not the Themes, Jumbo. The Themes button is at the foot of the screen ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

1 hour ago, Drewster said:

Are they functionally identical... just colour changes?

If so............. WGAS.....

If not............ Errrrrrrr should they be?

Mostly. The dark theme had some non standard "improvements" which are designed to improve the offering such as a background changer and the fixed header I had to hack away.

Dark roast doesn't affect my night vision... meow.  🐱

• Haha 1

Hi guys,  I think what I'll do here is check this poll monthly and update the default if the trend changes.

Tempted to set the default Monday though. What do you think?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would suggest that it be set at dark but lets think about the reasoning and see if I have it right.

The scenario where someone decides to highlight text or where that happens automatically might be done using different coloured text.

Think about which colours would be used on each

In an ideal world, next to the paintbrush on the toobar would be a paintbrush denoting text background colour and we could go back to a text symbol for the text colour. In this case it would be the background that performs the highlight and the normal forum software text colour remains regardless of theme

The effect might be similar to what is seen when I write @Tait but more accentuated

Edited by grumpydaddy

2 hours ago, grumpydaddy said:

..In an ideal world, next to the paintbrush on the toobar would be a paintbrush denoting text background colour and we could go back to a text symbol for the text colour. In this case it would be the background that performs the highlight and the normal forum software text colour remains regardless of theme

The effect might be similar to what is seen when I write @Tait but more accentuated

Like this?

• Like 1

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I am not sure how you did that but yes.

The advantage of course is that, because the background colour is fixed and Presumably the text colour works on that background, it will not matter whether the post is on light or dark theme as it will always be easily legible

• Like 1

Light theme default....if possible a one time question re dark alternative and never show this again checkbox (it's at the bottom of the screen anyway).

• Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, grumpydaddy said:

I am not sure how you did that but yes.

The advantage of course is that, because the background colour is fixed and Presumably the text colour works on that background, it will not matter whether the post is on light or dark theme as it will always be easily legible

There's a 'background colour' option next to the 'text colour'. I've just added it to see what it does and if it clashes with the theme @Tait , if it does clash with other themes then it'll have to go, but it's there for the minute.

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Posted (edited)

OK so choosing both and contrasting colours should work on any theme

This done on dark is still not too bright but very obvious and is clear on light roast

I guess I need to get used to non industry standard icons on this platform

Too many years seeing this I suppose

icons.PNG.79e0fdce7eaf1e5d2b02231c496742d7.PNG

Edited by grumpydaddy
added info added pic

That background thing is just silly!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

5 hours ago, Rhys said:

There's a 'background colour' option next to the 'text colour'. I've just added it to see what it does and if it clashes with the theme @Tait , if it does clash with other themes then it'll have to go, but it's there for the minute.

I've taken those options away. It could get out of hand if everyone typed in Rainbow and a nightmare to go around cleaning up. Let's leave the rainbow to the badges area on Desktop view.

16 hours ago, Rhys said:

Like this?

I see why you were doing that now. I'll cover these tweaks in a bit. Short term, I'm just looking to set the default for Guests and looking for the Poll results on it. The Light Roast will stay pretty Vanilla and will (should) be upgrade proof. The Dark Roast theme I'll Poll changes on bit by bit for colour tweaks etc until we get there but let's wait until we have a thread for it.

• Like 2

Hi all, I left it a bit longer and looks like Light Roast has 13 votes and Dark Roast has 8 votes. I'll be switching the defaults so you may well need to switch back afterwards using the option down the bottom of the page (but it may also remember your choice).

Dark Roast will stay maintained and I'll leave this poll open. If the trend moves the other way I can always switch it again.

For your reference this is only for the theme that guests and initial members will see. I'll try and do this today around midday GMT.

• Like 2

I'm happy to go light as I've mentioned in another thread light theme perhaps, just feel it needs dimming down somewhat before someone suffers retina burnout. I believe I mentioned grey before if that would suit others.
One other plea@Tait I know your busy doing all sorts to try and satisfy all and sundry but please could you put in an option to unsubscribe/ignore threads people don't wish to follow, this has been asked for before just raising it again in the hope you can add it to your long list. Thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

56 minutes ago, MinesAbeer said:

I'm happy to go light as I've mentioned in another thread light theme perhaps, just feel it needs dimming down somewhat before someone suffers retina burnout. I believe I mentioned grey before if that would suit others.
One other plea@Tait I know your busy doing all sorts to try and satisfy all and sundry but please could you put in an option to unsubscribe/ignore threads people don't wish to follow, this has been asked for before just raising it again in the hope you can add it to your long list. Thanks

...but I enjoy the burning on my eyes 😎

• Like 1

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

OK guys this is done now. It may remember your choices but if you’ve been switched then please set it according to your preferences. I’ll continue working on the other points raised and update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tait said:

OK guys this is done now. It may remember your choices but if you’ve been switched then please set it according to your preferences. I’ll continue working on the other points raised and update.

It did not remember my choice. YOU MUST EXPECT THE FURY OF BURNING RETINAS TO BE UNLEASHED UPON YOU, THIS IS UNTENABLE. OK I found the switch again, not to worry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Might want to have a look at this.. https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jbigham/pubs/pdfs/2017/colors.pdf

Looks like blue/grey is the ideal colour to put text on. Maybe with a grey border. I can't use the light roast theme as it gives me a headache. It's more like 'Latté' with no coffee.... :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Sorted.. Just ordered some reading glasses for the 'light roast' theme...

spacer.png

:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Sorted.. Just ordered some reading glasses for the 'light roast' theme...

spacer.png

:whistle:

I could do with these. The sun has been shining for 3 minutes here now and it’s giving me a headache!!

I am getting rather concerned about the weather actually. It hasn’t even rained for a full hour 😳

• Like 1