Tait

Dark Roast Feedback

Please keep it constructive. Generic complaints will be moved/removed. We'll use Polls to decide updates and tweaks to the theme based on user feedback placed here.

Posted (edited)

This works for me in that with a black background I can remain relaxed and not be reaching for my sunglasses.

I was driving a few days back and with clear skies but not driving into the sun I found myself lowering the sunvisor. 

Looking around there was a lot of different colour from tarmac and trees and cars etc but the white of the sky in full sunshine..... well I don't look up at it for long.

It is probably fair to say that white print on black can be hard going for some. 

I am not a real fan of the khaki and feel that a blue might possibly look crisper. 

across the bottom of the page are all of those social media things. 5 of the 8 use a blue

Of those the two worth consideration in my view are facebook and digg  

Not sure what others think but RGB values of 70,100, 200, which is near the digg colour, I find easy on the eyes and with white print easy to read as it has less contrast. (More than the khaki but less than black white)

To summarise then, I find this good enough for now, I would like to see something a bit less drab in future but it is not important right now.

Keep up the good work trying to find fixes.

some backgrounds.png

Oh my. It looks different on the forum

screen of backgrounds.PNG

Edited by grumpydaddy
add pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

jif51j.jpg

Edited by grumpydaddy
try to delete

3 minutes ago, grumpydaddy said:

jif51j.jpg

The different shade of background makes such a difference. 

Maybe Light Roast should be default, and the user choice, while Dark Roast gets titivated until it is perfect. Anyone with helpful input could support getting it right, and if you’ve no interest then just use Light Roast until the alternative gets fettled. And all the constructive comments to get the DR theme right should be kept on this one thread then anyone who doesn’t want to see it could Unfollow the thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Yeah don't just ask, try to give examples either using screenshots or links

Try this :D

screen of backgrounds.PNG

• Like 1

As mentioned in the Light roast version of this thread this is just an idea to play with....

If you frequent other sites that you find pleasing to the eye and are Dark themed post a link here 

or if they are lighter themed then post those links in Light Roast Feedback

so, here I would nominate these for consideration

http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?lang=&year=2019

https://xtremesystemsteam.org/index.php

This one is a bit too much

https://hardforum.com/forums/distributed-computing.32/

I had not really thought about it but white/colours on a grey background seems to work well for me. One just needs to be aware that some colours get lost. That seems to kind of work too in the inverse for those nominations I placed in the Light Roast thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.e9e7b6a9652d00b72adc4a216880da91.png

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

31 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

image.png.e9e7b6a9652d00b72adc4a216880da91.png

Yes, I quite like the grey background......

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

I find it quite easy on the eye too....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Still prefer the centre to be black lettering on white but keep the sack edges - they buffer and draw you into the central content

keep calm and grind flat

31 minutes ago, jimbojohn55 said:

Still prefer the centre to be black lettering on white but keep the sack edges - they buffer and draw you into the central content

Same here, I struggle a bit with white on dark grey. 

• Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

The brown is unpleasant, brown with green tags is truly hideous.  Add on top of that garish contributor badges and you end up with a graphic design mess.  The site needs to be redesigned with a coherent colour palette.  The one thing I do prefer from the dark roast theme is that each post has a header that is distinct in colour from the body section. 

• Like 1

Rocket R58, Bottomless portafilter, VST 18g basket, Niche Zero, Joey tamper (58.4)