Tait

Light Roast Feedback

Please keep it constructive. Generic complaints will be moved/removed. We'll use Polls to decide updates and tweaks to the theme based on user feedback placed here.

• Like 2

Can't say I liked the way(route) we were taken with the new developments but I do think the 'Dark Roast' theme is very nice,  Suits my taste in coffee beans🙄.

Agree with most of the points folk are making.  Hoping these can be addressed.

• Like 1

Ron 

I'm using the dark theme at the moment, as themes with a pure white (or almost) background irritate my eyes.  If the white was toned down to some shade of 'off white' on the light theme, I'd probably switch back to it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don’t like any of the brown options, they all seem as hideous and dreary as each other, 

and it it seems pointless that it only effects the margins, not the actual pages we’re having to look at

i much preferred the plain white page.

Edited by Jumbo Ratty
Adding more
  • Like 1

Light roast works for me 👍

• Like 3

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

Posted (edited)

Light roast is much better, thank you, I find black text on white background far easier to read.

Edited by Heligan

44 minutes ago, Heligan said:

Light roast is much better, thank you, I find black text on white background far easier to read.

Am I missing something?

all the happens when I toggle through the themes is the border changes.

Light Roast Theme is selected at the foot of the screen @Jumbo Ratty It is more or less am all white background ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

1 hour ago, MildredM said:

Light Roast Theme is selected at the foot of the screen @Jumbo Ratty It is more or less am all white background ;)

Can you do a screen shot and highlight where it is,,, as I can’t see it.

im on iOS btw,, 

Here it is!

50528FDC-39E5-498F-AD1E-EE21B03669F9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

1 hour ago, MildredM said:

So what’s all this up here?

i thought that was themes,,,and it doesn’t do that 

56C64E99-5A9B-4237-B314-67B89B789CAF.jpeg

That’s just the background on Dark Roast because some people didn’t like beans, or hessian, nor black...

Beats me why the icon for that is up there masquerading as the theme icon while the the icon for theme is hidden away down there.

FFS 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back dicking about on here with stupid options

3 minutes ago, Jumbo Ratty said:

Beats me why the icon for that is up there masquerading as the theme icon while the the icon for theme is hidden away down there.

FFS 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back dicking about on here with stupid options

Haha! It’s Brain Training!!!!! 

Posted (edited)

Ironically under dark roast on my viewport due to the styles/background/ad placement whatever the link is not visible!! 😂

sketch-1559667748285.png

Edited by mcrmfc

Off white gets my vote.

• Like 1

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

14 minutes ago, mcrmfc said:

Ironically under dark roast on my viewport due to the styles/background/ad placement whatever the link is not visible!! 😂

sketch-1559667748285.png

No! You need to change the Background to anything other than white ;)

Do you smoke or drink at times? Do one less and there you get your ten minutes back.
Now stop moaning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Light Roast looks fine so far, a good standard theme I would say. It's also a good theme for those of us using Dark Reader plugin.

A few things that aren't critical, but would make it easier to use the forum:

I would have changed is the color of the 'Go to first unread post' button to something that stands a bit out. The actual color doesn't matter, just that it's a bit different from the topic title. Makes it easier to spot posts you've posted in, where there's a star instead of a circle, and easier to navitage.

There is a lot of empty space, especially on the Activity pages. I'd like to see some padding or boxes with other stuff in it on both sides of the page so you get the content in the middle. A different IPS forum I use has some boxes there with various info. What one could have there I don't know, but if nothing, at least some padding to shrink the page horizontally. Especially if you are on a wide screen, there will be a lot of empty space. The 16:9 format is probably what most got, but it's not ideal for reading. On a 16:9 screen, you want padding and the actual text to read in a narrower column in the middle of the screen. You see this on every newspaper website.

I've attached an image to show what I mean.

Light Roast .jpg

Edited by Zephyp
  • Like 1

This is just an idea to play with....

If you frequent other sites that you find pleasing to the eye and are light themed post a link here 

or if they are darker themed then post those links in Dark Roast Feedback

so, here I would nominate these for consideration

http://www.newquayweather.com/wxsolarpv.php

https://tsbt.co.uk/forum/index.php

and it is a bit bright but possibly

https://forum.porteus.org/index.php

18 hours ago, Tait said:

Please keep it constructive. Generic complaints will be moved/removed. We'll use Polls to decide updates and tweaks to the theme based on user feedback placed here.

@Tait might be something you're aware of, but on mobile browser I seem to get different options along the top banner in dark and light roast (screenshot attached). Might just be because it's still under development!

Doesn't bother me really because changing background on the mobile version doesn't do anything other than change the colour at the very bottom of the page. 

Colour-wise, I personally prefer the dark theme. I find it a lot easier to use/read, but I m keep having a play with both and see if I see anything I think could be improved :)

Thanks for all the hard work and for giving us the chance to have a play and feed back! 

Screenshot_20190605_064510.jpg

Screenshot_20190605_064449.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the light roast but the design is too flat.  Yes I know that is all the trend but there’s a limit and at the moment usability is being unduly affected. Some colour or tone could be judiciously used to make the posts stand out a little more from the background and from each other.  The tag colour in dark grey works, but the brown for poster tags doesn’t.  The banner also looks out of place with the white theme.  I know it’s probably nostalgic to keep it but it’s not in keeping with the flat theme having a hessian background. The site should really decide if it wants to go for a modern flat UI, and if so it needs to be consistent and coherent.  

Rocket R58, Bottomless portafilter, VST 18g basket, Niche Zero, Joey tamper (58.4)

I kind of agree. It kind of feels as though LR (which I prefer) isn’t really trying. Some judicious shading to certain sections and something to tie the banner at the top in would help (as you mentioned @enrm6). It feels a bit like an empty house, all painted in brilliant white, and while I can’t stand clutter it needs a bit more style and character 😁 

Not wishing to interfere but maybe @enrm6 could work with you @Tait to get the look right - for the light theme in particular.

My vote for whats it's worth goes with the Light Theme, I find the Dark Theme far to muddled or want of a better word and as for the brown which dominates its awful reminds me of visiting aged aunts who apparently had as little taste in there color choice as who ever picked that for the DT.

As for the Light Theme its not perfect and could do with a little dimming down, that or more regular eye tests because of the brightness. A light grey has been suggested and I would happily go along with that, the very top section Banners + is fine for me, fits much better than the DT one.

So there you have it my two penneth worth for what it's worth, like it or leave it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters