Coffee Forums banner

French Press Convenience

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Ladycoffeegeek 
#1 ·
Been away for a while but recently been back checking out the new web design - all change!

Been mainly concentrating on brewed coffee during my period of absence.....

I'm thinking of purchasing a French press for work as it's a quick and convenient way to make a brew for 2-3 cups with minimal fuss.

Has anyone used the espro french press's?

Should I be considering something else?

Cheers

#2 ·
I've got a couple of Espros, but generally prefer the Bodum Colombia. Espros are a bit of a pain to clean if used often. I do use them from time to time, best with grounds that have the fine particles sifted out, as you have to plunge because the mesh is so fine it stops the liquid coming out if you don't.

Colombia has less parts, easier to clean, if you are careful with not disturbing the silt & not letting the plunger touch the steeping coffee, you can make cleaner brews than the Espro with an unsifted grind.

#3 ·
Thanks for that @MWJB I'm off to research the Bodum Colombia! ??

#5 ·
It's a good method. It's having the patience (or time) at work to wait as long....

After watching it I stumbled across James's 'ember mug' review - what a great review (regardless of your opinion of the mug)!!!

#6 ·
I use Bodium French Presses and have generally been satisfied with them, good quality and the filter lasts well. The one slight annoyance is it's become harder to get replacement glass (if you happen to break yours) at a reasonable price, which then means you have to buy a whole new setup. This isn't particularly expensive but has a negative environmental impact when all you need is the glass. If there's any suggestions for other makers who are good quality and easily/reasonably supply replacement glass i'd be interested to hear.

@Breezy not tried the James H method, will give it a go. I noticed a really significant jump in brew quality when I started using the Hasbean method for French Press...

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/brew-guides/6552901-french-press-brew-guide

#11 ·
I use Bodium French Presses and have generally been satisfied with them, good quality and the filter lasts well. The one slight annoyance is it's become harder to get replacement glass (if you happen to break yours) at a reasonable price, which then means you have to buy a whole new setup. This isn't particularly expensive but has a negative environmental impact when all you need is the glass. If there's any suggestions for other makers who are good quality and easily/reasonably supply replacement glass i'd be interested to hear.

@Breezy not tried the James H method, will give it a go. I noticed a really significant jump in brew quality when I started using the Hasbean method for French Press...

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/brew-guides/6552901-french-press-brew-guide
I tried this over the weekend and also had great results with a coarse grind on the feld2 there were still a few fines at the bottom but I guess that's unavoidable with a French press unless you can pour it through some kind of filter

#12 ·
A few fines? You mean like a little translucent dust just in the last sip or two (ideal), or an opaque layer of silt the bottom of the cup?

Yes, there will always be some solids getting through, but shouldn't be enough to worry about until the last sip. Filtering often isn't a good idea because it reduces body & takes long time, unless you are prepared to waste even more of your brew.

Brew should be clean enough without any further filtering, but it takes a bit more care when pouring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.