Simeon B

Replace steam knob on Classic RI9403/11

I have a Gaggia Classic RI9403/11 (the 2015 model with stainless steel boiler - bit of a long story but I'm trying to make the best of it). The steam knob is broken and you would think it would be simple enough to replace but unfortunately it's not. The knob has a "cuff" on the inside, so you can't just pull it out, you have to push it through and remove it from the inside of the machine, but on the 2015 there's a black plastic "faucet support" in the way and I can't figure out how to move it so I can get the knob out. I've searched in vain for instructions - can anyone help please? I've attached two photos showing the faucet support and the steam knob with the cuff. 

Thanks.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

As you can see from this image, it's got 3 screw holes on its base. Hope this helps.

Faucet.jpg.588e88545577caa8f3eec78f721d0f4e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Always give the hardest job to the laziest person because they will always find the easiest way to do it.🤡

Are you sure the knob and “cuff” are all one piece?

I would have thought that like the earlier Classics, the steam knob would just pull off - no?

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

As you see, it has a collar that's bigger than the hole in the casing

knob.jpg.2c8be511140acc3901a78db8ede96f17.jpg

• Thanks 1

Always give the hardest job to the laziest person because they will always find the easiest way to do it.🤡

Thanks - will see if I can access those screws tonight. And yes, the cuff/collar and knob are one moulding. Add it to the list of annoying things about the 2015 model...

I think you will have to move the whole boiler assembly to one side in order to push the broken knob into the case to remove and replace it from the inside.  I haven't done this myself, but I had the opposite problem when removing the boiler in order to the replace the 2015 grouphead - because the shims had come unglued.  This is the Filterholder Retaining Ring - no 25 on the diagram.  I couldn't get the boiler out until I moved it across enough to pull the steam knob off.

It would be worth trying loosening the four bolts that hold the boiler unit in place to see if you can move it enough to get the clearance to remove the knob.  These are the four Allen key bolts you'll see underneath around the grouphead.  You shouldn't need to detach any of the pipes or cables from the boiler in order to move it enough to get clearance. 

Good luck!